Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Your life can end in a second!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your life can end in a second!

Guys I was just on my way back to the office on my bike and I witnessed a fatal motorcycle crash. It was bad, really bad! The images of the rider are stuck in my head, and they are really f*cking with me. To all the Denver area riders it happened at the intersection of of 56th ave and Hwy 6-85, in commerce city. There was a semi turning onto 56th, on a green arrow, when the rider blew through his red light and struck the front of the tractor. The rider was immediatley thrown from the bike, bounced off the front of the semi and landed about 20ft in front of the truck, he never moved again after that. His helmet was ripped off of his head, along with the whole back of his skull. His right arm was practically ripped off at the shoulder, had several broken fingers, and his left leg was seperated at his femur, it looked like something out of a bad movie, or a bad dream. This never had to happen! What the F*ck is wrong with you guys!! Why do some of us feel as if we are bullet proof when we ride? It needs to be the complete opposite, we are way more vuneralble. According to witnesses off of the freeway, they said he flew by them at over 100, weaving dangerously in and out of traffic, he had slowed down a bit when when I saw him, but he was still doing at least 80, and never even touched the brakes before he hit the truck. I sure hope to God he didn't have a wife and kids? How can we be so selfish as to not care about our own lives! Guys PLEASE be safe, I know it has been said before, and I know this won't be the last time we hear it this season, but seriously, these bikes are dangerous machines and if not ridin properly, they will kill you. You can wear all gear you want, this guy was, but his helmet didn't save his skull, his jacket was never designed to keep his arms attached, his pants didn't hold up to well when his leg snapped above his knee, and his boots? They laid directly in front of the truck, at the exact spot of impact! I'm sorry if any of this has been too graphic for anyone, or if I offended anyone, but these images are burned into my brain, and like I said I'm pretty shaken up about all of this. Just please be safe, stay alert stay alive, andlive to ride another day!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Default RE: Your life can end in a second!

Very sorry you had to see that man!
Try not to let it get to you too much.
I can't say I feel terribly sorry for the rider. Don't run red lights at 80mph. Lucky it was a truck and not a more vulnerable target!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 AM

So, running a red light at about 80 is a bad idea? Seriously, keep your head in the game, be cautious and alert, don't ride over your abilitiesand all will be fine. It's not like this guy wasn't at fault and was squiding around hardcore.
Saw a guy after a police chase in a stolen car, rear ended a parked 18 wheeler and it sheared off the top of the car. Also sheared off the top of his skull and was laying on the rear deck near the window.

Best thing is to realize that accidents happen, but most can be avoided.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds too reckless and carefree to be someone older (not to say all older riders are wiser) but at 80 through congested urban streets you don't have much time to register green vs. red. he may have been changing lanes or whatever, looked up and thought he saw green or any number of things other than just straight out running it on purpose. slow the f^%k down, if not everywhere .. at least in areas with traffic.

sorry u had to see that but you put your thoughts down nice and succinct.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 AM

That is quite horrific. Ride safe, guys and gals.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been there before man, I know how you feel. I witnessed a person die, right there on the side of the road, two feet from me. Bad car accident, but it still keeps me up at night even though it happened months ago. I found that praying for that person helps fade the mental pictures of the incident. Sucks that you saw it though. Does give you a wake up call though.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, thats insane. thats sad to hear, but he had the choice.

i KINDA know what you're saying. when i was a teen. i was in my car headed to work and i pulled out thinking it was clear and got T-boned by a '04 cobra traveling around 70mph. he spun around backwards and flew into the guardrail. i was able to walk out of my car, i didnt even had a seatbelt on (i ended up laying across the front seats). as i walked to the shoulder (help had arrived), all i could see was him staring at me.......but not conciously staring at me......he was in shock and had a pool of blood running down his face. THAT is a picture burned in my mind. knowing i had caused that. he was medivaced out and was released from the hospital that day. THAT......was the day my driving habits changed......

Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 AM

sorry you had to see that bro.... I have been there so I can relate..... It still bothers me to this day....when I had it happen we were on a group ride and the guy in front of me went over the double yellow and hit a pickup head on @ about 65.... sparing the details it was a mess..... that was over a year ago and It still effects my riding sometimes...... learn from it and take something good from it.and remember what twisted metal looks like... cause if metal bends like that WTF will some plasticfoam and leather do for you when you do stupid.....try not to focus onwhat therider looked like it will only haunt you anyway.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM

I too have seen fatalities like that. More than one. But the most important part is that you accept the fact you could be experiencing post traumatic stress. It is easier to cope with it and you may have fewer dreams/nightmares about it. Talking about these things on a regular basis helps your mind release it from times when you don't want to think about it.

thread jack not intended.

The bike rider's actions sound like a complete idiot and although I don't condone death on anyone, it seems this person had no regard for the safety of others around them and therefore faced the most severe penality. Period.

Regardless, sorry you had to experience that situation, but your response shows you will learn from it.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 AM

sorry to hear that you experienced something like that. People cope with stress and trauma from situations like this differently. If you need to talk to someone then talk, find a friend or family memebr to vent to. I haven't been a member of this forum for to long but in the short time I see that if people need to vent here others are very accepting.
I've been in similiar situations before quite a few times, find the way you need to cope and start the healing process. Believe me eventually the pain and the images that are stuck in your head will fade. Take care.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13947/4BC0DB2FD5F94537A4EF290AADD9498E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Your life can end in a second!