Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

your coldest ride ever!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: your coldest ride ever!!!!!!!!!

it was about 18 deg. for me. I wont do it again without leathers,

Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harry

ONe night, coming back home from St. John's, it was like 2:00am and raining. It had been nice until then. Not the coldest I've run in, but felt like it, definitely the most miserable.

Lost a side cover that night too. That was on the Kawi KZ650
Hey Harry, present for ya (kept em for every new bike I've owned)
Name:  z650F3_82a.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  136.4 KB

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM

There's been several coldest moments. On my first bike, I just had to go riding at 2 am in February here at 5000 feet in the mountains--it was around 17 degrees--nippy. Then, the next winter, I rode for no real reason two hours one way, and two hours back on Christmas Eve. That was it, man, even with heated chaps, gloves, a neck warmer, and pulling over to a gas station for twenty minutes, the pain in my fingers was unbelievable. Haven't tried anything less than about 40 degrees since. Traction is fine as long as you don't rely on it for too much beyond a straight line.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:54 PM

I would say the coldest for me (and I'll ride in anything) had to be a 4 hour trip from Oklahoma to Kansas then back over a weekend to help a friend move. I've ridden in colder weather probably, just to and from work... like when the wind chill is sub-zero and they're still snow and ice all around... but that trip sticks out most in my mind. It was last year in early January. I set off on a friends bike (at the time, I didn't want to fight my Honda Rebel in the cold for 4 hours on the interstate), a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I wore 2 pairs of gloves, a tanktop/t-shirt/thermal long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt/mesh jacket with rain/wind liner in, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of socks, tennis-shoes (didn't have anything else), and my "ninja-mask" (A baclava, best I've ever worn, google "Bikers ST Wind plus", if you don't have one, it makes the MOST difference of any piece of gear I've ever owned in the cold, they're AMAZING). For the whole trip, average temperature was about 30 degrees F standing. Thankfully, it was fairly dry, so I didn't have to fight freezing water, until the last half hour of my trip. It was about 40 degrees and started POURING rain. I remember getting off the bike for gas when I got off the highway... my clothes felt like I had 50lb weights on my arms and legs. That trip was hella cold... and I did it just so that I could say I did. Love it!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM

i got stuck outside around 10 degrees i had to get off every 10 minutes stand behind my exhaust and warm up and ride some more.... wont ever ever do that again....

Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 AM

it was in northstar, snowing and i was snowboarding with no gloves or goggles... my beard had iceikels on it... how do you spell iceil.... well it doesnt matter. o but on a m/c i was taking my msf course and it was puring down rain that was pretty cold. one time i was riding at like 3am it was probly like 40 degrees

Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 AM

So far this is my first riding season and I've been riding around lately in 51, 53, 55ish weather. My coldest ride was in 43 degree weather at night after I hit the track.

Not on a motorcycle. it was -17 degrees at the top of the mountain in Killington, VT.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM

ive been in 30 degree weather with a leather jacket and a hoodie under it. it was COLD
to say the least

Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 AM

This morning on the ride into work, it was a balmy 35F. Not too bad. I plan on riding till it's in the 20s.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:53 AM

I'll letcha all know Dec 25th, 31st, and Jan 1st

Going to be busy days though..... Gotta fit golf in too on the 31st and 1st... (obviously this is if the roads, and fairways are clear of snow)

Quick Reply: your coldest ride ever!!!!!!!!!