CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   You tell me.... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/you-tell-me-21622/)

sceptre 08-25-2006 10:21 AM

You tell me....

Alright, I don't fully understand this so maybe you can help. I saw someone on a bike this morning (GSXR-not saying that matters but...) riding with helmet, gloves, jacket, long pants; everything you would expect but one thing was wrong. On the back was a child, I would say no older than 7 or 8 with only a helmet on and wearing short sleeves and shorts..?? Apparently the adult knew the importance of safety gear but why not have the child protected? Some people...

pacemaker 08-25-2006 10:47 AM

RE: You tell me....

Wot a dick head, yeah I've seen this sort of behaviour before, and not always involving bike riders, it's universal.
Fair enough if you want to take risks riding ( say in a pair of shorts & T shirt) your problem if you come off, don't complain.
But when you start making decisions like this for anybody let alone a youngin, is beyond me.
Wot sort of message are they providing to them, sheesh.
Good post

rrasco 08-25-2006 11:34 AM

yeah, pretty irresponsible...he obviously doesnt want any rash, but what about his kid? what a mother of f*ck!

steve00ses 08-25-2006 12:00 PM

i always wear my gear. except for the one time my girl wanted to go for a ride but didnt have any jackets to wear at the time. so i didnt wear mine either. (she didnt want to wear mine). cause if we go down im gettin mesed up too. i will not walk away clean and my girl be messed up. i will be next to her in a bed.

rrasco 08-25-2006 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: steve00ses

i always wear my gear. except for the one time my girl wanted to go for a ride but didnt have any jackets to wear at the time. so i didnt wear mine either. (she didnt want to wear mine). cause if we go down im gettin mesed up too. i will not walk away clean and my girl be messed up. i will be next to her in a bed.
good man...

city worker 08-25-2006 12:23 PM

[sm=loser.gif] Gota buddie that does that, total DUMB ASS !!!!!!!!, rides with the kid on the bike haulin ass, stupid

HAVOC 08-25-2006 04:49 PM

i just cant believe that some people would be that stupid . but atleast the kid did have a helmet on. ive seen ppl riding around my area without a lid and they'll have someone on the back too. it makes me wonder how do people get by in other states. here in CA helmets are law'd . but even if it wasnt id still wear mine , just common sense . i guess all we can really do is hope that when people take chnaces like that , there arent any idiot drivers, drunk drivers, people on cell phones, people not paying attention ect out on the road. god forbid that biker get hit with his kid on the back [:@]

rrasco 08-25-2006 06:27 PM

man, i see like 2 guys riding with chics on the back....then they dont have anything on but helmets. chics with short ass shorts on...im like...nice legs but they wont be for long....i told my girlfriend she cant ride until i get her full gear.

az cbr 1 08-25-2006 07:11 PM

Nice rrasco, that's the way it should be. What REALLY gets me is when I see guys riding with their helmets clipped to the bike instead of on their head, ever see that? Talking about the ultimate in stupidity!

OldFatGuy 08-25-2006 08:22 PM

Saw a guy yesterday... full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket............ and SHORTS! lol

Ya know, if you wanna wear shorts and a t-shirt that's fine with me... But what? He only cares about the upper half of his body? You have to wonder what goes through peoples heads sometimes.

HighRevver 08-26-2006 07:49 PM

When i was younger and i wanted to ride on the back of my dads bike he insisted that i wear some of his good boots and jeans and atleast a coat if not then one of his older leathers from when he was younger and of course a helmet.... He would give up his full face helmet for me and put on his other one he had lying around for the few rides.

Lowcash 08-27-2006 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

man, i see like 2 guys riding with chics on the back....then they dont have anything on but helmets. chics with short ass shorts on...im like...nice legs but they wont be for long....i told my girlfriend she cant ride until i get her full gear.

I made my girlfriend buy her own gear :O

Well she has helmet boots and jacket she and i dont have the cash for the rest yet. I think its better than nothing

DRam 08-27-2006 03:12 AM

Reminds me of the woman ripping down a four lane on a Harley with her apparently less than year old child in front of her. The child was wearing nothing but a diaper. She was wearing jeans and a halter top. That was about thirty years ago. I wonder now and again if the child is still alive.

When our kids were three or four years old they loved to go for a ride with the wife and I. I'd sit nearly on the tank, child behind me, wife behind the child, arms around me. We'd take a five or ten mph putt around our neighborhood (we live in a very quiet, nearly no traffic area). Generally about five or ten minutes was all it took and we had a sleeping child between us. Since then we've become educated about gear & safety. Don't think we'd do it again. Actually, given the growth of our girth, we couldn't.

jrocken 08-29-2006 10:54 AM

I probably wouldnt want take a kid on the back with me. But I don't always wear full gear. I always wear a full helmet and a joe rocket coat but that is all thats for sure.

I only wear gloves when it is raining out or really cold. I have never liked wearing gloves or sun glasses on or off a bike. They just annoy the hell out of me and all I can think about while I have them on is taking them off.

As for pants I will wear jeans most of the time but I have no problem wearing shorts. It may be different for me because I do not have a car or any other method of transportation. If I am going to the beach or going to the store and have been wearing shorts all day I will just ride with them. I always cover up my legs on long rides.

I don't see why people get so upset that people dont wear full gear. If I could afford a good looking suit it might be a different story. I know I am being a little Ben Roethlisbergerish (at least I wear my helmet) but I am hoping that as long as noone hits me I will be accident free!

voodoochyl 08-29-2006 01:39 PM

I have kids (7, 10, 13) and I am still debating even putting them on the bike at all, let alone them not wearing the appropriate gear...from head to toe!

Triangle 08-30-2006 03:26 AM

My cousins 9 and 10yo children really really really wanted to go for a ride on my bike so I gave them my helmet and jacket and gloves, and they wore jeans and their leather school shoes... it all absolutely flogged them but they were having a great time. I rode with them on the back (one at a time) up and down the street wearing shorts tshirt and riding boots (no helmet).

Parents took lots of photos and the neighbours were shaking their heads...

All in good fun and never got out of first gear.

But yeah, my leathers look awsome and I look real tough until I take my helmet off :)