Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

And you guys thought you had it bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And you guys thought you had it bad...

I don't even know what to think of this, welcome to my city...

http://www.sjnp.net/news/2008/may/08...ar-radar-guns/

Speeders beware. You may soon be on your neighbor’s radar. The St. Joseph Police Department will begin loaning radar guns to residents worried about the lead-foots in their neighborhood. The new program, which is currently seeking sponsors, was prompted by the limited number of officers available to catch speeders and to get residents to take more ownership in their neighborhood. Speeding complaints top the list of traffic concerns police receive, said Sgt. Bill McCammon, Traffic Unit supervisor.

“We don’t have the manpower to go out and dedicate the time needed to reduce speeding,” Mr. McCammon said. “This is a way to try to get residents more involved in taking care of their own problem, with our assistance, of course.”

Volunteers will run radar from their own cars as part of a two-person team in residential neighborhoods.

One person will clock any vehicle traveling more than 10 mph over the speed limit, and the other person will write down the license plate and type of vehicle.
Later, if police find the license plate and vehicle description match, a warning letter will be sent to the car’s registered owner.

“It just informs them that their vehicle was observed speeding in this neighborhood, on this date, and reminding them they have to watch their speed, especially because it’s a residential area,” Mr. McCammon said.

Since 2003, a similar community policing program has been in place in Shawnee, Kan.
Shawnee Police Department Lt. Doug Orbin said neighborhood speed watchers have helped police target speed traps to true problem areas.

Volunteers are told to be as invisible as possible, park their cars legally, and call police if an alleged speeder confronts them.

“We can’t be everywhere like people want us to be,” Mr. Orbin said. “And this has helped us be where the problems are.

And while some resdents may be enthused to nail speeders, other concerned residents may be reluctant.

Under the program, police also will offer neighborhoods with speeding problems yard signs reading “Slow Down,” Mr. McCammon said.

Geri Dyche, a member of the Mitchell-Pacific 33-37 Neighborhood Watch Group, said she often sees motorists on her residential street in the 3500 block of Pacific Street traveling 10 or 20 mph over the 35 mph speed limit.

She and her husband hope to volunteer on their street, but she worries cars travel too fast to actually catch the license plate.

The Police Department is seeking sponsors to make an initial purchase of two $395 reconditioned radar guns to start the program. To be a neighbourhood speed watcher, contact the Traffic Unit at 271-5359.
I'm on this street all the time, a friend of mine lives on the same block as the woman in the picture, lol. Dammit man... wild.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned
Default RE: And you guys thought you had it bad...

It's worth noting that Sgt. McCammon wrote me a 43/30 while in my uniform. He is the cop normalpeople hate. He's not in your face calling you names he's just completely arrogant and condescending as if he seriously thinks he is the definition of man.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez Louise, This has to open a legal Pandoras Box, wot next, give em night sticks & capsicum spray. "Respect my Authorita".

[IMG]local://upfiles/9500/7E627BF3DABE4CD5AB7C13B4F2C50C27.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 PM

And what's wrong with that?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

That is total bs! What if you have a neighbor who has it out for you? All they have to do is write down a bogus mph reading and your info. Now your on record for speeding, not that you will be receiving a ticket, but what if this *** clown does this 5-10 times during their monitoring?

I ****ING HATE HALL MONITORS!!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM

A WARNING, nothing more. Not only do they not have the proper knowledge to test the equipment before and after to ensure accuracy, but they are not sworn in as a police office... so their word is no stronger than yours.

Edit: I see this as a way to get these ******** to shut up, when ignoring them can only last so long.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM

That is crap. From a legal standpoint though they would never be able to use that in court. An unauthorized, untrained civilians claim would not hold up as evidence in court. All they could do with that is put your name on a list and give you less leniency if/when they actually pull over with a police car. Honestly, If my neighbor wrote me a warning summons, I would poop in their mailbox. Some people should know that payback is a bitch, and if you are going to be king narc, they you best be ready to be on the receiving end of getting bent over the table by it. Bunch of dorks, I bet they do 55 in the left lane on the expressway too?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Yeah it's just a warning...

But who says it can't be used against you in any future court proceedings?

Sometimes really bad accidents happen. What if you had a bad one and someone else died. Maybe things aren't looking so good for you and a friggin' PA comes walzting in the court room with a couple of these little notes...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

I realize it is going to be nothing more than a warning, but what happens if the warnings are numerous.

We have a carpool lane violation hotline here. If you see someone driving a vehicle with only the driver in the vehicle you can call the hotline and report said person. These are followed up by warnings, but I believe (don't quote me on this) if you get a certain amount of reports in a period of time they will send you a ticket.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Since the people recording the "evidence" would probably be willing to testify (in an unrelated case), then their testomy would probably be allowed and they would have to be challenged on their character as opposed to someone speeding or not speeding.

So, all in all, I don't think I like it.

Quick Reply: And you guys thought you had it bad...