Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Yet another near crash...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet another near crash...

Just stumbled upon this in youtube:

Some fine driving skills from that van driver... Never took one glimpse backwards, no indicator, probably even thought that bike was speeding past HIM!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the rider then slowed down to deliver the classic Fred Gassit "withering stare" to the unsuspecting van driver

Cheers, SB

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ride a motorcycle, this will happen to you, more often than you'd expect. Always be cautious and defensive.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 PM

Hee I had that around three times on my trip in highway to helsinki D:

Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 AM

Most I also remember one rider who rided around kilometer infront of me. Doing joyride assuming by his riding style and when He noticed me closing from his mirror he just pressed gas to get further.. then loosened himself up and without him noticing I was around 100 m behind him, he made sudden gas and vanished, leaving me wondering do I look so terrifying lmao

Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not uncommon if you are not proactive and don't make the vehicle entering
aware of your presence.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM
August 2011 ROTM

One of my experiences caught in video

BTW, we has yet another fatality last night. The rider was not even doing anything. There was a truck stalled on the shoulder lane on off ramp. The car slow down for it, and he slowed down and car behind him slow down. everything was fine until this one ******* who were not paying attention rear end the car behind him, which forced the car to hit him and shoved him under the SUV in front of him, pinning him down. He died on the way to hospital

Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Basically the same happened in Lahti a few years back when a car approaching traffic lights suddenly jumped on the brakes when the lights turned yellow. The motorbike behind the car managed to stop, as well as the car behind the bike.

The semi trailer behind them couldn't and squished the bike between the two cars. Both passengers killed.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by Aken
If you ride a motorcycle, this will happen to you, more often than you'd expect. Always be cautious and defensive.
Yep. It's already happened to me at least 3 times now.

My personal favorite is the guy pulling out in front of you. I just had one of those last week. I was cresting a hill, he stopped and looked right at me.
Then he pulled out in front of me.
Luckily I was only going like 30 and I was already on the brakes, but still. Defensive is the name of the game.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM

I've had it happen, I was home on the highway on a 5 hour route in about 35' weather with a backpack with 20 pounds of stuff in it and two full saddlebags, plus about 3 or 4 layers of thermal stuff on. Needless to say I wasn't exactly light and nimble on my bike. All of a sudden as we're going up a hill I'm cruising at about 75MPH and a car in the lane middle lane starts merging into my lane! I laid on my horn and revved my bike...the guy pulls back and flips me off as I pass him!

Oh well, some people just shouldn't be on the road, just glad I didn't get hurt!

Quick Reply: Yet another near crash...