Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Yay more money.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Im a weather forcaster but i dont actually forecast. I actually do mission planning weather for pilots. I was trained on forcasting but then got moved to a different cell in the same squadron that briefs pilots. Its much more satisfying. haha

What do you plan on doing and what branch?
I'm going into fire protection in the USAF Reserves... I'm thinking about starting with reserves and then switching to active depending on how I like it. Sounds like you really are liking it though.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually i really dont like my job. Im behind a desk for 8-12 hours a day and i work 5 days on 2 days off and about once a month we get a 3 day weekend. But thats only cause my job is critically manned. Once my 6 years is up if i cant cross train into something i want then ill be getting out and becoming a police officer. Its always been my dream and ive come to realize that you really only live once and later in life i dont want to look back on myself and say i should have done this or that. Fire protection was in my top picks and so was secuirty forces but i didnt get em.

If i can offer some advice DO NOT SIGN ANTHING until you are promised the job you want.

Try to get in touch with some people in fire protection to see what its like because the recruiter lied his ***** off to me. My tech school was apparently 8 weeks. Multilpy that by 4 and thats how long it actually was. yes a 32 week school.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Any by promised i mean your reading a paper that says you will be trained in fire protection.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM

Try to get in touch with some people in fire protection to see what its like because the recruiter lied his ***** off to me. My tech school was apparently 8 weeks. Multilpy that by 4 and thats how long it actually was. yes a 32 week school.
Ouch lol, so are you thinking of cross-training into security forces then? (That's what my brother does, and aside from being deployed alot he really likes it, plus being a police officer is a great civilian job as well.)

And i know the feeling all-to-well of the recruiter feeding you BS... I'm actually on my second recruiter as of now, after being told that for some bogus reason I could not qualify for Fire Protection; and then having a Security Forces job shoved down my throat.

I'm lucky enough that my dad is actually the Fire Chief at Scott AFB and i'll be working under him for 2 years before he retires... Not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet lol.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by miller821
I'm lucky enough that my dad is actually the Fire Chief at Scott AFB and i'll be working under him for 2 years before he retires... Not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet lol.
That is awesome and will really help you out. As far as cross training i wont do security forces just cause i plan on starting a family in the next 1-2 years and dont want to be deployed throughout it. I know a few people who hate it becuase they feel like they have missed there kids growing up. So thats a no for me.

I do want to cross train but im just not sure what to yet. I still gotta year before i can even apply for cross training.

And i know that feeling of having a job shoved down your throat. haha
When i walked into MEPs and they looked at my ASVAB they said "We have weather!" i said mmm no. haha i picked 13 jobs and for some dumb reason put weather in the way back of my list and i got that one. Owell lesson learned.

Anyways im guessing since your dad is Chief that you have grown up around firefighting so it should be fairly easy for you to know what you want to do and to get the job.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grats fenatic. One of these days I'll have to roll over to Shreve for a ride.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM

congrats on the up-grade, E-4 will look very good in that file bud...

Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM

And i know that feeling of having a job shoved down your throat. haha
When i walked into MEPs and they looked at my ASVAB they said "We have weather!" i said mmm no. haha i picked 13 jobs and for some dumb reason put weather in the way back of my list and i got that one. Owell lesson learned.

Anyways im guessing since your dad is Chief that you have grown up around firefighting so it should be fairly easy for you to know what you want to do and to get the job.
Haha exactly... Sad thing is that I told my first recruiter that I was willing to wait (However long need be) for my first choice to open up.... Wasn't working for him I guess.

And having my dad as Chief has definitely helped me out. I pretty much know how his whole unit works, as well as how great a civilian job as fire-fighting is too.