Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

xmas lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: xmas lights

The season is over so I don't see a point to keep them on, but on the other hand it's just one more way they are controling us. I mean if someone wants to pay a higher electric bill then it's there right. What's next? Are they gonig to limit the amount of miles we can drive in a week since oil is costing more and some day there might be a shortage? I call total BS. We may live in the most free country in the world so they say, but I don't see it sometimes.

Our federal and local goverments spend so much pointless time and money to come up with dumb *** laws insted of using the resorces wisely.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

The season is over so I don't see a point to keep them on, but on the other hand it's just one more way they are controling us. I mean if someone wants to pay a higher electric bill then it's there right. What's next? Are they gonig to limit the amount of miles we can drive in a week since oil is costing more and some day there might be a shortage? I call total BS. We may live in the most free country in the world so they say, but I don't see it sometimes.

Our federal and local goverments spend so much pointless time and money to come up with dumb *** laws insted of using the resorces wisely.
I disagree they need to take the lights down. Its an unnecessary waste of energy. If retards dont seem to care about taking them down then I say force them down. Its all a waste.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

I disagree they need to take the lights down. Its an unnecessary waste of energy. If retards dont seem to care about taking them down then I say force them down. Its all a waste.
Building your motorcycle was a waste of energy and resourcesas you cannot ride it year round in most areas of the country. You are still allowed to own one though.

As you quoted the person above, if the person wants to spend more on electricity, it's their bill. As someone else wisely quoted, it's like saying you may only drive x amount of miles a day in your car.

I'm all for energy conservation, but tickets for Christmas lights are stupid.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Id like them to have to come out and count all the bulbs haha

Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its definately no joke. if i hear the commercial over the radio again today, i'll jot down the website and post it.

i still have xmas lights up, although i never turned them back on after xmas day. i DO think a ticket for it is rediculous. i'd like to wrap my entire hose w/ them from ground to roof and watch them come out w/ a pad of paper, and 4 guys...one on each side of the house, counting all the bulbs.

merry christmas everyone, hahahahha

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Are they gonig to limit the amount of miles we can drive in a week since oil is costing more and some day there might be a shortage?
yes, but gallons of usage based, not distance based. Actually it'll be called rationing and that could be a very real problem. There was also a time in the 70s with odd-even gas lines (based on last digit of license plate) ie. monday odd, tues even etc. It was dumb, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you get enough Prius driversto band together and create a lobbying group that says get 40MPG (and fill up when they want) or get only3 gallons per trip to the gas station, you will effectively have rationing.

What about Cuban cigars? We aren't even at war with Cuba, but we can't visit or buy their goods.

I believe even certain caviars were kept out.

The Gov't may be able to make a case saying that oil usage is a threat to National Security and that much of the Middle East is financing Terrorists, then yes you will see something change. Cafe standards won't be enough, you may see parking rules change, gas hogs may have to park far away or different speed limits (or different lanes)for gas guzzlers like they have for 18 wheelers in some places. I believe that would happen before HUGE gas taxes because lower income drivers would get hurt worse than a rich guy. Both people have to get to work, but rich people tend to drive big SUVs and go out more.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Are they gonig to limit the amount of miles we can drive in a week since oil is costing more and some day there might be a shortage?
yes, but gallons of usage based, not distance based. Actually it'll be called rationing and that could be a very real problem. There was also a time in the 70s with odd-even gas lines (based on last digit of license plate) ie. monday odd, tues even etc. It was dumb, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If you get enough Prius driversto band together and create a lobbying group that says get 40MPG (and fill up when they want) or get only3 gallons per trip to the gas station, you will effectively have rationing.

What about Cuban cigars? We aren't even at war with Cuba, but we can't visit or buy their goods.

I believe even certain caviars were kept out.

The Gov't may be able to make a case saying that oil usage is a threat to National Security and that much of the Middle East is financing Terrorists, then yes you will see something change. Cafe standards won't be enough, you may see parking rules change, gas hogs may have to park far away or different speed limits (or different lanes)for gas guzzlers like they have for 18 wheelers in some places. I believe that would happen before HUGE gas taxes because lower income drivers would get hurt worse than a rich guy. Both people have to get to work, but rich people tend to drive big SUVs and go out more.

We really need to move more taxes towards progressive. You are right, the poor get hurt more.

Also, speaking of the poor and less fortunate, this Monday is MLK day: a day of service. Everyone here in the USA that has the day off and care about the people around them should serve this Monday. mlkday.gov list organizations that are serving. Many can use more help.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Retired Moderator

May I threadjack for a moment? I went to Costa Rica for my honeymoon, and could have brought back Cuban cigars, but I wasn't willing to be subject to a $10,000 fine per itembecause of the embargo. However, many cigar makers fled Cuba when Castro took over, and brougt their seeds and cigar wrappingtalents (it is an art form)to other countries with good soil, like the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc. Hell, some of the best wrappers are grown in Connecticut. They all make GREAT smokes, but I would love to have a real Cuban cigar. On my honeymoon, we stayed at one place that had Cubans for like $25 American. At that point, I couldn't rationalize spending that kind of money forone cigar...I wish I would have. I hear they have quitea kick!

Back on topic...Jay, I double dog dare you to run your lights, now. I'll help you pay the fine...really, I will...