CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   wth $ (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/wth-87565/)

Endless 02-15-2009 01:50 PM

wth $

Why do cages have to be so expensive?

Rod38um 02-15-2009 03:56 PM

Well, I could say:
1) high executive salaries
2) high labor cost
3) high dealer prophet
4) customer damand for luxury

But the truth is it has risen because the customer is willing to go into a dealership and be content with only knowing if they can afford the monthly payment. This attitude has led banks to issueing longer term loans to make the payment as low as they can, this led the manufacturers to raise prices and still sell cars...This is also why most people wind up, upside down on a car loan after a couple years.
A car is the worst investment you can make.
This may have been too much information but......I was bored.....

Kewl Breeze 02-15-2009 04:20 PM

Because we're not in India :p and many here place style, power and status over economy.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...s_new_car.html

India's New $2,500 Car, The Tata Nano

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...chives/tatacar
The design language is in the same space as the Mercedes Smart car and the old Italian Isetta. At about 10 feet long, the Nano is 20% smaller than the cheapest car on the Indian roads right now, the Maruti Suzuki 800. The four-door, five passenger (if you’re skinny I think) car has a rear-mounted, 634 cc engine that gives 33 bhp.

Tata plans to make 250,00 initially and expects to sell 1 million annually. The Indian auto market is very hot, as growth lifts incomes and wealth in the country. Ford, Nissan, Fiat, Suzuki, Renault are all planning to increase production in the Nano space over the next couple of years. Think of 10 million additional cars on Indian roads in five years.

Tata says the Nano gets about 50 miles to the gallon and plans to bring out a diesel version.

jackalo626 02-15-2009 04:30 PM

Exactly what Rod said especially the high labor cost. Unions want the janitor at an auto plant to make 20+ dollars while next door at a different business a janitor makes 8 dollars.

CBRclassic 02-15-2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Endless (Post 747195)
Why do cages have to be so expensive?

I know many will answer with all the micro and macro management BS solutions..

BUT..the bloody truth is ...
As a greed driven society , we are still buying what we would like or want , NOT what we need !!

So the manufactures are still building to suit our stupidity , not our needs or the planet!!..

AND! ..to add to the stupidity above ....
Tooling and re tooling every year plus assembly costs, are dependent on numbers produced to a large degree.
(Make one vehicles to do the job needed for everyone and the unit cost would plummet to levels that you would possibly not believe!!)

500 different models from 20 different manufactures , all updated every 12 mths or so is not helping to keep costs down!!

While we the customers are stupid in our habits , the stupid manufactures and the industry as a whole will continue to sell at stupid prices!!

camaropower 02-15-2009 04:44 PM

How about we not talk about unions being as some members, like myself, are part of one.

CBRclassic 02-15-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by camaropower (Post 747256)
How about we not talk about unions being as some members, like myself, are part of one.

That's dead right Cam...
The unions are not the problem!! ..
To pick on labor as being the sole cause of high costs is absolutely stupid...

The entire profit driven , style and personal luxury based system that we manufacture within is the main cause ...

BTW- we may not want to drive cars like those Tata Nano's , but just may be we all should for everyday commuting?

Endless 02-15-2009 04:54 PM

hmm. economy 101

since i am a stupid human i have to frivolously spend my hard earned under-payed cash
on things that have nothing to do with the actual merchandise i intend to have while "joe" is up in his high-rise office, sitting behind his desk getting over-payed for twiddling his thumbs and making up the ridiculous prices i will continue to fork over my life savings towards for things that i need in order to protect other over-priced things which i want to keep safe.

Do i have this right?

jackalo626 02-15-2009 04:54 PM

So since you are in a union it makes it off limits and not the truth? I have al lot of friends that work at the Ford plants here in Louisville Ky and make insane money for driving a forklift and assmbly work when the other factories around pay $10 hr for basically same work. I don't mean to offend you and respect workers of every walk of life. Hell if I know one pays more it is silly to do it for less and would strive for the higher paying also but that does add to the final cost.

CBRclassic 02-15-2009 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Endless (Post 747264)
hmm. economy 101

since i am a stupid human i have to frivolously spend my hard earned under-payed cash
on things that have nothing to do with the actual merchandise i intend to have while "joe" is up in his high-rise office, sitting behind his desk getting over-payed for twiddling his thumbs and making up the ridiculous prices i will continue to fork over my life savings towards for things that i need in order to protect other over-priced things which i want to keep safe.

Do i have this right?

Narrr..I think you left out one small point..
YOU HAVE DO A CHOICE:D you can choose to save some of your money and do the environment a favor by not buying an expensive , high end luxury vehicle...:rolleyes:

CBRclassic 02-15-2009 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jackalo626 (Post 747265)
So since you are in a union it makes it off limits and not the truth? I have al lot of friends that work at the Ford plants here in Louisville Ky and make insane money for driving a forklift and assmbly work when the other factories around pay $10 hr for basically same work. I don't mean to offend you and respect workers of every walk of life. Hell if I know one pays more it is silly to do it for less and would strive for the higher paying also but that does add to the final cost.

Again ...I think to focus on a labor payment system that is obviously ****ed up from one end to the other , is to under state the real issues ..

I mean who can under any circumstance justify what some white collar dike heads get paid!!
The remuneration system was designed by bosses in the beginning and still is designed by high end management..
It makes no sense at any fuVkin level !!!

To pick on union levels of pay against smaller private sector wages may be relative to workers life styles , but I think has little bearing on vehicle costs..
Lets face it ...if the car manufactures could pay less , they would jusy make more profit...not sell there cars cheaper !..

jackalo626 02-15-2009 05:37 PM

I didn't say it was the main reason or even one of the main reasons. I gave my opinion on what I see and what I know personally. It may be a small amount of the total added cost in the end but it is still a factor that the consumer pays for out of pocket. The money the workers earned does go back to my community and my freinds families which is good. There are a million factors that drive the cost up but I didn't get into all of them. Poor product design, poor mangement, making products inefficeint to keep costs down for them etc........

camaropower 02-15-2009 06:02 PM

It does add to the price, just not a big fan of union bashing. I hear enough of it these days and you have to remember all unions are NOT the same. I'm a member of Local 669 Road Sprinklerfitters (Fire Protection) and I am still an apprentice. (Was a previous member of Local 2 Carpenter's Union) I do not disrespect anyone working non-union, everyone's gotta eat, but the Union argument is best left off of this website.

camaropower 02-15-2009 06:05 PM

And Cbrclassic, +1 on this statement
"Lets face it ...if the car manufactures could pay less , they would jusy make more profit...not sell there cars cheaper !.."

Rod38um 02-15-2009 07:57 PM

The price of a car is set by the ability of the customer to pay. If sells slump, the price goes down, if sells go up....price does too. As I said b4, Banks made higher prices more affordable by extending the time you pay for a car. Dumbasses rushed in and bought cars they could afford the monthly payment, they had no reguard fo the actual price, sells went up and so did the price, so did executive pay and union pay. everyone was happy till people figured out they still had 3 years left to pay for a car that was now 4 years old and worn out. Customers have to start thinking b4 they buy.....same problem in housing.....

Endless 02-15-2009 08:15 PM

*cough

I was actually referring to a bike cage but hey, rant on! :D

"If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments."

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains. "

"If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it all to themselves. "

"All I ask is the chance to prove that a lot of money can't make me happy."

CBRclassic 02-15-2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Endless (Post 747321)
*cough

I was actually referring to a bike cage but hey, rant on! :D

A bike cage? ...
.... you got me with that line :D what is a bike cage?

camaropower 02-15-2009 09:27 PM

He was origionally talking about a stunt cage (or crash cage) lol, not a car

jackalo626 02-15-2009 10:43 PM

Haha we were talking about cars. I guess a cage is cheaper than what it cost's if you drop it hard after buying new levers and clip ons and mirrors and rearset pegs and body work it adds up so quick.

CBRclassic 02-15-2009 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by camaropower (Post 747351)
He was origionally talking about a stunt cage (or crash cage) lol, not a car

No shyte:eek:

major oopppsss:D:D:D

jp_greenville13 02-16-2009 12:02 AM

hahaha

Endless 02-16-2009 12:19 AM

cage, car, cheeseburger, it all goes in and comes out of the same hole. o.O

Hangfire 02-16-2009 01:01 AM

I have been so confused this whole thread, lol. I was like, "What luxury cars coming out thats called a Cage, some new 2010 Toyota Cage or something? I thought he meant a crash cage...umm.." Heh.

DDCavi 02-16-2009 12:47 PM

I thought he was talking about stunt cages at first but everyone went off on a car rant...

Kewl Breeze 02-16-2009 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire (Post 747432)
I have been so confused this whole thread, lol. I was like, "What luxury cars coming out thats called a Cage, some new 2010 Toyota Cage or something?

Many bikers refer to cars/trucks as cages and the OP didn't specify which so there's the confusion :)

thrasher572 02-17-2009 10:41 AM

Cause motorcycles don't have doors....