Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

WoW i hate cold weather! How cold have you ridden?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WoW i hate cold weather! How cold have you ridden?

I commute 45 miles one-way, year-round, in MD/PA. Unless there is snow/ice in the forecast, I'm riding. Doesn't really get too cold until the temp drops below 15. Below that, I fire up the electric gear and stay toasty. To all who ride in the cold, I recommend growing a beard for the winter, you'd be surprised at how effective it is.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I rode in today.... 30* at 7am when I left, felt like 24* with the wind and whatnot. 35 mile commute mostly all highway 70-80 mph. Wasn't bad at all... wore my full leathers with thermals underneath (and my work uniform), a fleece sweater, balaclava for the neck and chin, and a 2nd pair of insulated gloves over my regular ones. My ears, chin, and fingers got a little cold but still very tolerable... I wasnt' even shivering or anything. I'm sure everybody thought I was a nutcase for riding though, hahaha. I did see one other bike out on my way in

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Well I rode in today.... 30* at 7am when I left, felt like 24* with the wind and whatnot. 35 mile commute mostly all highway 70-80 mph. Wasn't bad at all... wore my full leathers with thermals underneath (and my work uniform), a fleece sweater, balaclava for the neck and chin, and a 2nd pair of insulated gloves over my regular ones. My ears, chin, and fingers got a little cold but still very tolerable... I wasnt' even shivering or anything. I'm sure everybody thought I was a nutcase for riding though, hahaha. I did see one other bike out on my way in
What type of gloves do you wear?My alpinestars gp pros with a inner liner glove still was cold.
That is only part that was cold on me this morning when getting to work.

Saw 4 bikes out my way on the way in..All gave me a thumbs up when we passed

Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did see one other bike out on my way in
haha omg i love when i see another rider out in the freeeeeeeezing temps. you know how in the 80deg. summer weather, you see another rider so you throw them a wave? well it cracks me up out in these freezing temps when i notice another rider out, im like "haha heeeeeeey!" ( inside the privacy of my helmet, lmao) and throw out the biggest f 'ckn wave possible get the same in return. its cool to see others out dealing w/ the freezing temps to keep doing what they love! sadly though, here in MD all the sportbike riders make a mad dash for the equator or something......b/c its a EXTREMELY EXTREMELY (did i mention extremely?) rare occasion you see a sportbike on the southern MD roads after October....pfffff, pussies!

im gonna be following thesnow plowsto work! hahaha

keep riding! stay warm! be safe!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Ironmang

ORIGINAL: white99gt

What type of gloves do you wear?My alpinestars gp pros with a inner liner glove still was cold.
That is only part that was cold on me this morning when getting to work.

Saw 4 bikes out my way on the way in..All gave me a thumbs up when we passed
I've got Dainese Moto-X gloves

Really not meant for colder temps at all.... I gotta get some new ones. I have some fleece liners that I've worn underneath these too, a couple weeks ago when we went up into the mountains and it was pretty cold. My hands were warmer today with the other gloves over these ones, rather than the glove liners.

I'm broke as HELL right now, but soon as I start getting a few paychecks roll in I'm gonna head over to Cycle Gear and get some good cold weather stuff. Down in FL nobody even carried cold weather stuff so I don't really have much of anything. I'd like to get a heated vest and grips And some warmer gloves too, of course

Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Wow, I'm a total puss. This morning it was 40ish, cold by Florida's standards. Hats off to some of you guys riding in 30 or below.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Ironmang

ORIGINAL: jaynd

I did see one other bike out on my way in
haha omg i love when i see another rider out in the freeeeeeeezing temps. you know how in the 80deg. summer weather, you see another rider so you throw them a wave? well it cracks me up out in these freezing temps when i notice another rider out, im like "haha heeeeeeey!" ( inside the privacy of my helmet, lmao) and throw out the biggest f 'ckn wave possible get the same in return. its cool to see others out dealing w/ the freezing temps to keep doing what they love! sadly though, here in MD all the sportbike riders make a mad dash for the equator or something......b/c its a EXTREMELY EXTREMELY (did i mention extremely?) rare occasion you see a sportbike on the southern MD roads after October....pfffff, pussies!

im gonna be following thesnow plowsto work! hahaha

keep riding! stay warm! be safe!
Hahaha yup... and they're the only other ones on the road that don't think we're a total nutcase either like all the cagers do, cuz they're doing the same thing!

Always got nothing but love for the true riders

It was kinda funny.... last weekend I rode with a few people up into the mountains (again! lol). It was in the 40's-50's depending on time of day and where we were at (lots of temp fluctuations in the mtns). We were talking about the amount of traffic out on the roads in the mountains on the weekends (lots of bikes up there on weekends), and somebody made the comment.... "hey at least this cooler weather keeps all the squids away! Can't ride in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops when it's 40 degrees out". Oddly enough, as we're standing there talking at the little hiking store at the top of Blood Mountain, a middle aged guy on a gixxer rolls in in nothing but jeans, a t-shirt, and a helmet. We went and asked him... "dude WTF aren't you cold??". He said he was fine though [&:]

Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha yeah Jared, my neighbor was leaving this morning as i was and i got outta my driveway before he got outta his ( [8D]) and once we hit the main highway i put down the passanger pegs and layed down on the bike to get below the windscreen. he passed me looking at me like i was a complete idiot! hahahahaha, i also had enough layers on to look like i had gained about 200lbs, lol!

i plan on looking into some cold weather gear aswell. g/f still has my truck....my bike, still in the shop. so its gonna be another CHILLY morning riding her F4i into work.

this morning there was enough frost on the passanger seat, that i could have made a snowball. i let out a big sigh, and made my way to work, haha.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM

Went and broke out my snow board gloves..Warm and ability to hand the bike is what i need the most..
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...id=body_rv_txt

Anything over 45 degrees and my alpinestars are fine..UNder that even with liners they SUCK..

Far as thermals ..Cheaper ones are ok ,but usually only 50% cotton 50% poly ...THe ones i found work the best (from snowboarding days).
Two layers which kick ***..But yet thin so you can layer if you want..
But layering for me is these thermals and a tshirt along with my normal gear..Much more and ill burn up LOL...

My thermals :
under pants
http://www.duofold.com/Mens/OutdoorW...amp;style=400E
undershirt:
http://www.duofold.com/Mens/OutdoorW...amp;style=400D

Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jaynd
i put down the passanger pegs and layed down on the bike to get below the windscreen.
You do the back pegs thing too

Quick Reply: WoW i hate cold weather! How cold have you ridden?