Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Worst day all year!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011 | 06:15 PM
|
Default Worst day all year!

Day started with me having to wake my girlfriend at 0600 (she normally sleeps till 0800 so I needed TNT) to tell me where she put my motorcycle key. She had it last cause she remembers me handing it to her and tell her to put it on the key hook by the door. But draws a blank after that. Spend till 0625 seaching, 0630 I'm done cussing and by 0635 out the door with my spare key to be at work by 0645 (trip takes 15 minutes with no traffic and minor bending of the traffic laws).

I get to work at 0655 (traffic of course), park my bike in front of my work van and run inside to check in. Too late: they already gave away my route so I'll be picking up work from other techs (aka jobs they don't want to do). I change, start my truck and get ready to swap my bike into its spot. Battery is dead... ON MY BIKE! Key in, switch on, hit the starter and she tries to turn over weakly... Clock resets to 12:00 am and clicking from the starter.

Well my battery has run dead several times o'Nover the summer and I didn't leave her on the battery tender last time for very long. So I already knew I needed a battery. Just not today. Oh well, I'll deal with it after work. Push my bike in the parking spot and go to a job they gave me while d!icking around with my bike. Get there, the customer cancels and I don't have any work yet. Great! Coffee break (cause I really need it). Start to drive off, heading towards 7-11WTF IS THAT SOUND?!? Sounds like I'm dragging something under the truck and it's revving way higher than normal with less power. I pull over and go to parallel park it, to check that nothing is caught under the truck. Put it into reverse to back in, give it a little gas and the truck revs but doesn't move. Give it more gas, revving up higher and it suddenly slams into gear. WTF? 2010 Ford Super Duty with 10k miles... and the tranny just chit itself! I check the fluids every two weeks and it's never been low. And, oh look: dispatch has given me 4 jobs and I have no way to get to them.

So I sit in a not very nice neighborhood ("No, I don't want any weed / heroin / crack", "No, I don't have any weed / heroin / crack", "No, I don't want a date") for 2 hours waiting for a flatbed to come get me. Byt the time I swap into another vehicle (a Ford Astro Van with 155k miles on it), it's noon and I still have 4 jobs. 3 of which must be complete by 1300. 1 of which has had so many techs there I'm not supposed to go alone. The manager of the Philly Metro Region is supposed to accompany me (of course he doesn't. It's in North Philly).

End of the day... I don't leave the office till 5:45 pm. Battery was still dead but I guessed correctly the remote start might get her to turn over. The remote start essentially just triggers the fuel pump and starter switch extremely quickly, before the headlight begins to strain the battery. And I ride home..

Oh yeah... Started to rain on the ride home.

Old 09-27-2011 | 06:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

ahh man, i'm sorry to hear about that. i've had those days. nothing goes your way, everything takes way longer than it should. but hey, you made it home with the bike. hook the battery up to the tender, go inside, grab a beer and veg out.

i had one of those days on saturday come to think of it. i woke up an hour late for work (power flickered and reset my clock), couldn't get my work van out of the drive way because of my in-laws van being in the way. they were away in a place with no cell reception. once i tore the house apart looking for a spare key to move the van that was in the way, i got on my way. this traffic light skipped me a few times because i was in the turn lane and i guess my 3 ton van couldn't trigger the light. then i hit every red light on the way to work....

you get the idea... nothing works.

sorry you had a bad day though. hope the night is better to you

Old 09-27-2011 | 07:26 PM
Administrator - Retired

Not an ideal day for sure... but if that was the worst day of my year, I'd consider myself a very lucky man.
And yeah... Fords suck. The Astro Van is a Chevy, btw, not a ford. That's why it rocks.

Old 09-27-2011 | 07:40 PM
|

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Not an ideal day for sure... but if that was the worst day of my year, I'd consider myself a very lucky man.
And yeah... Fords suck. The Astro Van is a Chevy, btw, not a ford. That's why it rocks.
Well its supposed to go to a new hire. One of their first "tests" is ordering supplies so the truck was bone dry of everything. No wire, splitters, cabling, connections. Not even ladders. I'm a full tech which means I do everything from a basic box swap up to 32 ported # business class phone installs with alarms and my truck had 3 months worth of supplies to squeeze into that astro van. I literally have 10k feet of coax, cat 3 and cat 5 cable alone.

The only reason I didn't just say **** it this morning when Yuen couldn't (and still hasnt) find my motorcycle key is 2 weeks ago I got a spare made. I thought it was a good sign. Really should a said "**** it" and called out.

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:10 PM

Yeah today definitely sucked, mine wasn't nearly as bad as yours but I gotta go back to first shift tomorrow to disconnect and move an outbuilding that they set up too close to a compression station for the gas pipe line. Not to mention it's pouring out and will be tomorrow. And I've got homework I gotta get done. So I'll be lucky to get 3 hours of sleep tonight.

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:26 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Wink

Kuro....I solely believe for everything that happened, happen for a reason, there is an intent to why it played out the way it did. Unable to find key, is meant to delay your departure from work (which kept you safe, from harm if left on schedule) when your truck stall.....it's meant that you had to stay there a bit (even if at NOT such good location) but you were safe being there right?.... what i'm saying is even though it looks negative (bad day) on the outside......it's actually positive that things happen the way it did to keep you away from worst case scenario. It's call your guardian angel working there magic.....but not letting you know of it....think positive.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Day started with me having to wake my girlfriend at 0600 (she normally sleeps till 0800 so I needed TNT) to tell me where she put my motorcycle key. She had it last cause she remembers me handing it to her and tell her to put it on the key hook by the door. But draws a blank after that. Spend till 0625 seaching, 0630 I'm done cussing and by 0635 out the door with my spare key to be at work by 0645 (trip takes 15 minutes with no traffic and minor bending of the traffic laws).

I get to work at 0655 (traffic of course), park my bike in front of my work van and run inside to check in. Too late: they already gave away my route so I'll be picking up work from other techs (aka jobs they don't want to do). I change, start my truck and get ready to swap my bike into its spot. Battery is dead... ON MY BIKE! Key in, switch on, hit the starter and she tries to turn over weakly... Clock resets to 12:00 am and clicking from the starter.

Well my battery has run dead several times o'Nover the summer and I didn't leave her on the battery tender last time for very long. So I already knew I needed a battery. Just not today. Oh well, I'll deal with it after work. Push my bike in the parking spot and go to a job they gave me while d!icking around with my bike. Get there, the customer cancels and I don't have any work yet. Great! Coffee break (cause I really need it). Start to drive off, heading towards 7-11WTF IS THAT SOUND?!? Sounds like I'm dragging something under the truck and it's revving way higher than normal with less power. I pull over and go to parallel park it, to check that nothing is caught under the truck. Put it into reverse to back in, give it a little gas and the truck revs but doesn't move. Give it more gas, revving up higher and it suddenly slams into gear. WTF? 2010 Ford Super Duty with 10k miles... and the tranny just chit itself! I check the fluids every two weeks and it's never been low. And, oh look: dispatch has given me 4 jobs and I have no way to get to them.

So I sit in a not very nice neighborhood ("No, I don't want any weed / heroin / crack", "No, I don't have any weed / heroin / crack", "No, I don't want a date") for 2 hours waiting for a flatbed to come get me. Byt the time I swap into another vehicle (a Ford Astro Van with 155k miles on it), it's noon and I still have 4 jobs. 3 of which must be complete by 1300. 1 of which has had so many techs there I'm not supposed to go alone. The manager of the Philly Metro Region is supposed to accompany me (of course he doesn't. It's in North Philly).

End of the day... I don't leave the office till 5:45 pm. Battery was still dead but I guessed correctly the remote start might get her to turn over. The remote start essentially just triggers the fuel pump and starter switch extremely quickly, before the headlight begins to strain the battery. And I ride home..

Oh yeah... Started to rain on the ride home.

Old 09-27-2011 | 09:31 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Kuro....I solely believe for everything that happened, happen for a reason, there is an intent to why it played out the way it did. Unable to find key, is meant to delay your departure from work (which kept you safe, from harm if left on schedule) when your truck stall.....it's meant that you had to stay there a bit (even if at NOT such good location) but you were safe being there right?.... what i'm saying is even though it looks negative (bad day) on the outside......it's actually positive that things happen the way it did to keep you away from worst case scenario. It's call your guardian angel working there magic.....but not letting you know of it....think positive.

Old 09-27-2011 | 10:50 PM
Administrator - Retired

Everything happened for a reason? Guardian angels? lol....

I'm all for positive thinking, but dam..... I don't even know how to respond to that (ok... yes I do... but I won't because it will get messy very quick)

All I will say is that I believe it's absolute horse chit.

Old 09-27-2011 | 11:49 PM

That sucks to hear Kuro. Ive had that day all week long. If estate4life is right about that then the grim reaper must be chasing after me cause so far this is day 5 of crap. Im not sure if your paid houlry or by the amount of work you do but if its the 2nd option then that really is crappy. I hate loosing money to something i cant control.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:07 PM

i can understand that kuro. the misses and i are movin and of course everything goes bad with my dakota. i thought the brakes went out so bought new ones. i got one side done so i move on to the driveer side and where the calipers bolt to the spindle the holes were stipped out of course ( a common problem with dakotas from 91 to 99) so as i try everything i can think of i finally think i have it and put it back together and hook up to the trailer to take our first load and head out. i get about 5 miles of the 75 i have to go and they brake and start rubbing the rim. i take it to my dads and swap with him and his doesnt have trailer lights so we have to come back home. today we get the first load done and i go to the junk yard to get a replacement part and brake 2 ratchets so i pay a guy 30 to take it off for me. i get home and start taking my old one off and the nut holdin my spindle on is so tight i put an extention on the half inch ratchet and stand on it (i weight like 225) and it doesnt budge so i bounce a little and again a nother broken ratchet. now i have to have my dad bring a 1 inch breaker bar over *** early so i can fix it and then continue moving. so that was my last 3 days of hell. lol

Quick Reply: Worst day all year!