Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Worst Accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Accident

OK I seen a lot of people saying read this and read that. I want to see it who has laid down their bike (no low speed crap) for real. I will start back in when I was a civilian, around 20 years old, I was trying to switch from my main tank to reserve (stupid idea in the first place) the guy behind me was tail gating me. I was not paying close attention to where I was at on the road got off into a ditch pinned my left foot between the bike and the wall of the ditch and then flipped through the wind screen. Dumb *** rookie mistakes but I lived to tell about which is the good part. [sm=badidea.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Worst Accident

I'll go further back than that, in 1968 (yep they had motorcycles back then) I had just celebrated my 18th birthday the day before, went for a ride on my Honda to see a friend who worked on week-ends in the local petrol station. Met up with a couple of guys on the way, that I had not seen for a while, driving around in their old mans car.
They drove, I rode, up to visit this guy, his mum tells us he already at work. Just for the hell of it we decided to see who could get back to the petrol station 1st by each going a different way. This route unfortunately intersected at "Cross Road". The guys in the car where keen to win, so the fact that their route had a "give way" sign on it....................
Yep, buggers ran straight into me, car went over the bike (or is that, the bike went under car?) and I just keeped going, doing my best "Look Ma, I can fly" impersonation. It would have been great to, but the fact that I was heading towards a wooden power pole kind of dampend the moment. Luckily !!!! I ran out of forward momentum and hit the gravel road 1st, and just slid head 1st towerd the pole.
The gravel changed my direction, but did not to stop me hitting it. Broke my arm. Adrenalin is a funny thing, I jumped up and ran over to my poor bike, screaming at these guys about wot they had done. I can remember them just looking at me with horror. I was waiving my arms around, one bent in a really bad way, blood starting to run from the deep gravel rash out of the other one, my thigh and ****.
Them looking at me weird made me stop ranting and start to calm down, adrenalin stopped, pain kicked in, at this point I passed out, hitting my head on the pavement, lucky I was wearing a helmet huh!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Here is a cartoon which I think sums it up for a few of us.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Riding my CBR 1000 RR 5 days after I got it. Up on one of those roads that has a lot if curves, and doing fine. Came up on a hill that curves right at the crest. Hit dried up mud leaning, that a couple of 4 wheelers left going across the road right were the curve is. Bike and I kept straight right off the road and hit the ditch at about 90 MPH. I did about $5700 worth of damage to the bike. I had to replace just about every piece of plastic. I was very lucky not to do any damage to the frame not the rims. I remember flipping over the bars when I hith the ditch, and the bike flipped over and landed on top o me. I was pretty messed up, but manage to walk away without any broken bones, road rash, or cuts. Since then, the bike had been totally re-vamped.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 PM

Try again

Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 PM

i was riding when the girl on erricks avitar called my cell phone, i heard her custom ringtone and flipped over trying to answer my cell while ridin.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 AM

coming up on a year sence this happened. still feels like yesterday. My wreck

Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 AM

OK , going back to 1979, I was an invincible youth, with more Skill than sense. Late for work i was doing about 80mph through a built up area of town. Suddenly i saw a young kid with a bike running across the road to the park, swerved to miss him and hit the lamp standard on the central island head on. Woke up in hospital, with the helmet having been cut off ( totally crushed on one side ) and with a fractured skull. Bike totalled.

Put me off biking for .............................a couple of months. Only good to come out of the story is the kid was OK and the bike was a Yamaha.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Well I was teenage dumb and actually embarrassed to tell the short story. I couple of friends of mine in 1970, each had new bikes. One was a '70 500 Kawasaki and the other a '70 750 Honda. I was on my wickedly fast 175 Bridgestone Hurricane Scrambler (to those who know, it had the rotary valves cut and the pistons windowed and scalloped, top speed was 95+or-). Those two on the big bikes decided to drag race. All I could do was watch and gave hot pursuit after they started. Well, they were done with the race and cooling them down when I came roaring up at top speed and I was going to go between them as they were talking at about 30 mph. They heard me coming and they drifted together and closed the door. I hit the brakes hard and the bike did a stoppie that, really didn't stop. I was probably doing around 80+ when I hit the pavement. All of a sudden it was slow motion. I remember the mirror breaking into 1000 little stars and next I was sliding on my back along side the bike and it looked like a comet sliding down the road. (11 pm and dark). Next thing I knew the bike hit the ditch and did several summersaults. I ran to the bike almost in tears, for I only had the bike about 6 mos. The ONLY damage was the mirror, clutch lever and metal ground off of the center stand. That was it! I had leather jacket on and wore abrassions in the left elbow, shoulder and both shoulder blades, with a hole wore through my billfold in my right rear pocket. That was it. I was lucky and learned the value of good clothing and some smarts. I don't count offroad riding spills.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:40 PM

never crashed on the street (and don't plan to lol) but I had a pretty big crash on the track
there was a LOT of traffic, it was the first session of a trackday and I got stuck in the back with the slow people because I didn't hear the first call, did one lap and was coming back up to Turn1 along with 40 other people bunched up in front of me (NESBA doesn't allow passing on the first lap of the first session) so just before turn 1 this guy comes through the group, locks his rear tire and slides right into me at well over 100mph, knocks me clean off my bike
broke a few bones in my right hand/wrist/arm and cracked/fractured a bunch more

Quick Reply: Worst Accident