Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Workin on selling my bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Workin on saling my bike

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

^ i dont see selling either

sale.......sail.............selling.........sailin g......saling...........all the same thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

wouldn't the correct word be sold ?

I dont have the money yet so........no
You wrote SELLED , so if you don't mean sold then it would be selling.

This isn't a english class forum.We understand what you mean just sometimes go to give you **** about it. [:@]

Old 12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked our DMV about that (Right before getting rid of a worthless car) - They said they had a standard "Bill of Sale" form you fill out, sign, and notarize to prove you actually got rid of the vehicle at a certain day/time.

Texas has this even nicer form:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml

You send it in and it notifies them that you sold it. - Takes the worry off you. - Wish every state had such a form...

Old 12-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

yea we have it here in cali too its called a release of liability form. it actually comes attached to the pink slip so when you sell it you fill it out and it shows that you sold the vehicle and it is no longer your problem if something bad happens.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: mycvil

I asked our DMV about that (Right before getting rid of a worthless car) - They said they had a standard "Bill of Sale" form you fill out, sign, and notarize to prove you actually got rid of the vehicle at a certain day/time.

Texas has this even nicer form:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml

You send it in and it notifies them that you sold it. - Takes the worry off you. - Wish every state had such a form...

Notice at the bottom it still says that you understand that the vehicle is still under your name. You can sign a million those and its still under your name.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Dude, your thinking about this way too much. What are you worried about? Do you think that this guy is going to use your bike like a stolen weapon and go on a speeding rampage killing a small city? It's just a bike, get your money, sign the title and help him off your property...end of story.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Northernfirepower

Dude, your thinking about this way too much. What are you worried about? Do you think that this guy is going to use your bike like a stolen weapon and go on a speeding rampage killing a small city? It's just a bike, get your money, sign the title and help him off your property...end of story.

I'm not worried. I was just stating texas law. They can do that if they want to.

A guy I work with sold a pickup and the guy never registered it under his name. He got a call 2 years later from another city saying he needs to come get his truck before its towed. It was burned up and he had to pay $50 to the city to have it towed. The guy was probably doing things with the border.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under state law, when you submit this completed form to the department, the buyer named is presumed to be the owner and may be subject to criminal and civil liability for the vehicle. For this reason, complete information, particularly the name and address of the buyer, is important.
This is the key - It should remove you from liability for actions with the bike. - Titlework is still the buyers' responsibility, but you pull the plates, and they cannot legally ride it on public roads without tabs. Having this form (and a copy of the check or a money trail) should be sufficient to save you the hassle of having to get it towed after it is abandoned on the border. - You would simply say X person bought the bike on X date as evidenced by the money transfer and your form stating you sold the bike. - Go after them. - Oh, and don't forget to remind them of the state law saying you have x days to register any motor vehicle that goes on public roads.

The only way to force the title transfer would be to accompany them to the DMV, it's the buyers' prerogative to not title it if they are planning to resell it immediately, or send it to the scrapyard... - However if they paid you for it, they should pay state tax (if Texas has one) on the purchase. (5% in ND)

Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Well its been two days and he hasnt contacted me back. I swear I'll be stuck with this bike for the rest of my life.

Mycvil, we re-use plates in texas. The only time you get new tags is when you're up for re-newal (which is a long time) or I guess if you ask for them.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Hey ranger I ran in some trouble a couple years backwhen I sold to some kid that never transferred the title.In Georgia the DMV said as long as you have a bill if sale showing you sold to that person and signed over the title.They said that you will be in the clear as long as you have copies of those two documents.I got a call two years later asking if I could apply for a new title from the third person that purchased it without the title.The DMV said if anything looked illegal that a court wouldn't hold me responsible for anything.

Quick Reply: Workin on selling my bike