Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wireless networking question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless networking question

I'm in the process of trying to set up a wireless network for my home and I'm looking for some help, tips, and opinions on how I should go about this. My plan is to due away with cable tv and stream everything off the net to tvs. We will have 4 tvs hooked to the network for using netflix and hulu and the like pluse one that will also be used for playing the ps3 online. We also have two laptops and some phones, ipods that will be on the system from time to time. So what's the best setup (hardware ) that I should do to avoid any problems?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frozenpoet
I'm in the process of trying to set up a wireless network for my home and I'm looking for some help, tips, and opinions on how I should go about this. My plan is to due away with cable tv and stream everything off the net to tvs. We will have 4 tvs hooked to the network for using netflix and hulu and the like pluse one that will also be used for playing the ps3 online. We also have two laptops and some phones, ipods that will be on the system from time to time. So what's the best setup (hardware ) that I should do to avoid any problems?
haha for that much stuff id hit up best buy. lol

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 AM

I know how I'm getting the stuff to the tv, I'm just not sure what I need or need to do so my network can handle all the possible bandwidth that might happen.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM

best buy is really expensive and they dont alway know what they are talking about. Bandwidth issues are going to come from your main line out meaning whats your speed of your current internet. Streaming videos from net flix hulu to all different computers is heavy draw so your going to make sure you at least have 25 mbps coming in. Also do you want net flix or hulu? some tvs have pre built in streaming modes that are able to accept an ethernet right into the back, some blurays have it, some av receivers it depends on your setup. Last thing if you want to stream all that stuff and you are looking for high internal bandwidth and you are going to wanna connect it hardline and not wireless. For the laptops and phones and ipods you can do wireless so get at least g or n routers. Also to do your whole house depending on size you are going to need more than one router and set it up as an access point to increase signal transmission in the place where the signal from the main router just wont reach.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Right now we have a netgear g and a linksy g router. For some reason when we were just using the netgear when you tried to do anything with two computers it would throw a little hissy fit and wouldn't work right. My setup now is the modem wired to my linksy that is then wired to the netgear. I don't know if that's the best setup but it works lol. The tv's are going to their info from a ps3 on one tv, a ps3 on the second tv, blu-ray player with wifi on the third and a roku box on the last. Netflix and hulu+ should keep most people happy in this house.

is a duel-band router worth getting or should I be ok with the g?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I like the Buffalo Wireless N series (but load the easy consumer firmware) as
opposed the the geek version. Whatever one you use pick one with gig ports too

THESE just my preference is all

Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM

i would think you would be fine with one Linksys and a connection booster. I have a Big foot tall antenna thing that gives me full connection anywhere inside the house. plenty of devices, no TV's though.

You are going to need to uprgade your internet speeds with your provider if you plan on streaming movies and playing playstation online at the same time.

oh. and as said before, wired connections give best results.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by frozenpoet
Right now we have a netgear g and a linksy g router. For some reason when we were just using the netgear when you tried to do anything with two computers it would throw a little hissy fit and wouldn't work right. My setup now is the modem wired to my linksy that is then wired to the netgear. I don't know if that's the best setup but it works lol. The tv's are going to their info from a ps3 on one tv, a ps3 on the second tv, blu-ray player with wifi on the third and a roku box on the last. Netflix and hulu+ should keep most people happy in this house.

is a duel-band router worth getting or should I be ok with the g?
as dual band router really isnt worth it for you. I imagine your house isnt on top of someone elses so there is a very unlikely chance of interfering and the devices you are using probably wont all be used at the same time. Reviling made a good point about the booster but if you use the second router as a wireless access point it would theoretically do the same thing. If you put it as hardline to the router it would be better because you would get a better signal. but then remember to set your second router to 192.168.x.1 and make sure the x is not the same as your first router or your network will have a fit and never work

Last edited by waddleboy; 04-20-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: cant spell and changed ip address
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh, dual-band routers are a way to break up packets and stream over 2 channels. That, in theory, doubles your bandwidth. If you are going to stream multiple 1080p signals, you are going to use a LOT of bandwidth. If you are just streaming netflix in 720 you'll do ok wireless, but anything more, I would recommend CAT6 and a gigabit switch. It's a little more trouble to physically run it, but is vastly better in terms of cost, speed and security. Wireless is still not very user friendly to set-up and maintain, either.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM

^no dual band routers are to broadcast in either 2.4ghz OR 5ghz. 5ghz obviously gives you more bandwidth and has more channels that dont interfere with each other unlike 2.4ghz which only has 3 non overlapping channels like waddle was referring to. Parallel transmission is when you broadcast info on both channels at once and it requires the devices receiving the packets to also have a dual band radio. Dual-band routers just give you the ability to operate on either frequency and is unnecessary in this case unless he wants to use the 5ghz frequency. And wpa2 encryption on wireless is just as or more secure than a wired networks security but that really isnt an issue with a private home network.

Last edited by nickp123; 04-20-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Wireless networking question