Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Winter riding???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter riding???

How many of you regularly ride in the winter (commuting and such) in, say, 20-50F degree weather? What kind of gear do you use to not die of hypothermia?
One of the reasons I want to get a bike is the fuel mileage. I have to make a 40min drive twice a day and it's just too expensive driving my suv or truck. I will have to put up with temp. issues though.

Thanks, Phillip

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Winter riding???

I still ride almost everyday here in N. GA. Though I've missed a few lately due to being sick, and some bad weather (snow/ice/ect... I won't ride in that). But this is what I wear everyday to keep me warm (and also save my skin, god forbid I have a crash!). I think my coldest was 18 degrees with the wind chill, an I'm still here! lol

Name:  DSC02534.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  DSC02536.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  58.0 KB

I also wear a Turtle Fur headsock (has a balaclava with it) and it works wonders on keeping your head and ears warm, which is a very important part of your body to keep warm in order to keep the rest of your body warm. Then I have another balaclava that I put over that. Since I can't find the little chin guard thingy to my helmet, I too a strip of self adhesive Velcro and put in on the bottom front part of my helmet. I take the 2nd balaclava and pull it up over the front of the helmet to cover the opening around my chin, and it keeps the wind down (helps a ton!!). It sticks to the velcro and doesn't move Also wear thermals under my work uniform, then a thick sweater over that, then the leathers. Gloves are some Olympia leather insulated gloves. Not too bad by themselves but hands still got cold. Now I have grip heaters which kick *** and have no problems with hands getting cold, except for my left pinky sometimes, lol. Sometimes if it's real cold and I'm gonna be out for awile I've gotta wear double socks or my feet get pretty cold (depends on which boots I'm wearing.... my actual riding boots leak alot of cold air! Hiking boots = toasty)

That's about it for me! Still get a little chilly sometimes if I'm on the highway for awile (my commute is 35 miles almost all highway...errr). But overall still very much tolerable. I do plan on getting some heated gear though (gloves, vest, ect) before next winter

Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't say I "regularly" ride in this crap....NH gets chilly around this time of year, ya know?

My cold-weather gear:

Gerbing's gloves plugged in and turned on

Cortech GX Sport jacket with liner in and at least one long sleeve shirt (I wear t-shirts year 'round)

Cortech Calibur pants with liner in and any kind of jogging pants under

Cortech Solution boots with wool socks

Shoei RF-1000 helmet with nose and chin inserts in and an old hat I cut so I could pull it down around my neck

If you can afford it, Gerbing's makes hi-quality cold weather gear....gloves, vests, etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM

I have been riding alot this winter when its not raining, but florida is much kinder to us then other places.

all i can say is bundle the F up, at 70 mph air finds cracks in your gear like you wouldnt beleve, i have rode a few times in 40 degree weather for a 45 min trip down to ocala, and it sucked.

definatly some good warm gloves are your best friend, mine are summer gloves and my hands went numb and ached like crazy. get a neck warmer to, i forget what they are called but they are like a peice of polarfleace that is in a tube shape that you slide over you head and neck and keeps you warm, with out it your neck will freeze and the air will run down the front of you body under your jacket.

I have spent a far amount of time snowboarding in 10 degree weather and that was cozy compaired to rideing a bike in even 50 degrees, the wind chill is aweful.

I am sure some northerners can give you better advice.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yea I forgot.... some sort of anti fog device for your visor is a great thing to have in the wintertime. Visor fogging can be a real bitch when it's cold! I have the Fog City visor insert... it's pretty cool, sticks to the inside of the visor and won't fog up. It's also light sensative, so during the day it automatically tints (a blue-ish color) and then goes clear when it's dark. It works too.... even when it's really cold, it will not fog up!

Then again if you have a Scorpion helmet then you don't have to worry about that stuff

Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 AM

I think the coldest i rode was 30 degrees, and that was enough for me to call it quits for the winter. Its just not enjoyable when it gets to be that cold. I miss it alot but I get out a few times when it gets above 40.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 AM

LAYERS UPON LAYERS!!! I ride up here in good old Minnesota as long as there is no snow on the road, I am out there...although, it's -12 degrees out...no windchill factor, just straight up -12...I don't have a riding coat really, just a cheap leather one, but thermal shirts and more than 1 pair of gloves makes all the difference!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 AM

Yep, I was so stoked when I got my first bike in march, that i was riding every day in 30 degree weather. I'd come back and ease off the bike, and my kneecaps would be stiff and frozen hahaha

Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have to commute anymore, but have done it in the past, had a 160klms (100 miles) round trip that I did for 8 or so bloody years, this took in mountain cut outs, freeway & twisties.
Biggest pain (literally) was the old hands with the chill factor, so go for pair of insulated gloves or heated grips (a big plus). Now you can throw riding gear on you till you can hardly walk & still feel the chill, got to get some nice thermal underwear, even if you have to change when you get to work, it keeps the warmth in close to you. Next a balaclava (silk if can get it), I also like wearing a nice woolen scarf (yeah I know) but they work & I liked to pretend I was Dr Who.
I also bought a nice pair of water proof quilted & padded over pants & a decent wet weather jacket (these days you can get a decent riding jacket & wet weather protection). I always go for leather though for wind & cold protection.

I'll finish with saying that any long haul on a motor bike in the cold can be a dangerous thing to do, When your cold, your body slows the blood flow to the extremities (arms & legs & the head)
Which can slow down reaction time & the ability to think clearly. Throw in some wet or snowy weather & your rooted mate.
I've seen guys pull into service stations & been so cold affected they couldn't get their legs off the pegs in time to stop themselves falling over. So don't over do it, alright.
Hypothermia, see link
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hypothermia.html

Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did it when i first got my bike lol, i was the only guy out there...people were looking at me like i was crazy! now i dream for spring and summer days...

Quick Reply: Winter riding???