Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

wind blasts??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind blasts??

how do u guys/gals deal with it? any techniques or suggestions??

Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Default RE: wind blasts??

I generally lean over to one side or lift slightly so the air escapes quickly. Never had a passenger with me though or I'd probably hold it in until we both got off the bike.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Users

^^^^ LOL.....

as for a serious answer........

i typically ride through it....and don't try to overcompensate.....the bike will naturally lean and come back...if you try and steer and compensate for wind gusts, you will end up throwing the bike out of balance....at least, that is what i have found....if the wind gusts are so strong as to actually blow you over meaning like a foot two over in the lane...it's too windy to be riding...haha....honestly....just ride through the wind and trust your bike....it's not going to tip over and you are typically not going to get blown into another lane...

i have been by a semi with a heavy wind that struck me pretty good.....i just accelerated through it and the bike steadied itself all on it's own without any intervention from me....

Old 04-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Someone on here suggested sticking out your knee in the direction that the wind is blowing from. I've tried that and sometimes it SEEMS like it helps but I don't know. Gotta just try for yourself. Getting blown around and leaning into it may be all you have to work with.

Mike

Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 PM

if i'm on a country road with a cemi coming at me going the opposite direction, i turn towards him as he passes me to keep from getting blown off the road. as for the highway, i try to pass them as quick as possible.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

I usualy get a little lower behind the screenand loosen my grip/shoulders a little. I think the wind pushes the rider much more than the bike so I try not to have too much input on the bars and such.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM

^ Yep. I look like a fricken Weeble on my bike when it is a bit windy on the freeway. But my bike stays straight and true.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Try riding a ninja 250 for 3 hours in 40moh or more going from town to town. Its an experience all bikers should have to go thru.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
RCR

We have the Santa anas here and when it gets real bad I just tuck a little bit more then usual and ride em out.

The toughest is when passing a big rig and he blocks all the wind and as soon as you pass his front a 50+ gust hits ya.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head down, Bum up. Side winds, counter wind direction with weight on opposite peg, slight pressure on the bar the same side. If really bad, shift your bum as well. Don't lean, as wind blasts stop suddenly & if your still leaning you can get caught out & may have to over compensate the other way, which can set up a nasty chain of events. Don't make the mistake of throttling down suddenly or hitting the brakes, if you have to, ease back slowly, on a bike, traction is God. Head on winds can make your bike feel squirmy, but thats just more tiring than anything else. Remember its better to slow down & live with it, than try & fight it.

Quick Reply: wind blasts??