Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why is my internet so fast right now?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is my internet so fast right now?!?

I hear Pirates 2 is a good one

And im not talking about the Johnny Depp pirates

Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ta8218

lol, im getting a few movies, but its insane how fast I'm getting it all. If I find enough stuff to download I can download 50GB/hour at these speeds!
I wouldnt tho lol. You will get red flagged for the RIAA lol

tho with netflix, gamestop, etc having downloads its hard for them to determine now unless like you said download 50GB an hour lol.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: ta8218

lol, im getting a few movies, but its insane how fast I'm getting it all. If I find enough stuff to download I can download 50GB/hour at these speeds!
I wouldnt tho lol. You will get red flagged for the RIAA lol

tho with netflix, gamestop, etc having downloads its hard for them to determine now unless like you said download 50GB an hour lol.
Yeah until you hit that .1% group on comcast watch list and they cut you off. Or you go over Comcast's cap and they start charging you $15 per 10gb.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 AM

Cable is a shared bandwidth with your neighbors, maybe you were the only one pulling bandwidth at that time.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

Cable is a shared bandwidth with your neighbors, maybe you were the only one pulling bandwidth at that time.
Well, I don't have a lot of neighbors under the age of 50, so I doubt that's it. Small town, etc.
It lasted a good 4 hours, I downloaded 97GB of stuff. I canceled plans to hang out with a friend, instead having him come over with his laptop to download stuff. (He got about 20GB of stuff)
I am such a loser. lol

edit: oh yeah, and my best speed test last night was 21.69MBps (megaBYTES, not bits) which is 177,684kbps
my speeds are now back to about 1.3 times as fast as they used to be. I think comcast may have been doing their regular speed upgrades and I had access to unlimited bandwidth and could have possibly been using the full potential of my cable modem.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:57 AM

so is dsl but its worse lol. Each user has a set cap. You have to be able to hack the cable co. servers/switches to get more than what they alot you. You use to could hack your cable modems n take the caps off but they have it so the modems check with another server to get updated info. SO even tho they are shared bw, you wont get more than what you pay for, but can get less if it gets slammed, or mr. cabletv stealer cuts a cable n ****s everyone in that area.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:59 PM

so is dsl but its worse lol. Each user has a set cap. You have to be able to hack the cable co. servers/switches to get more than what they alot you. You use to could hack your cable modems n take the caps off but they have it so the modems check with another server to get updated info. SO even tho they are shared bw, you wont get more than what you pay for, but can get less if it gets slammed, or mr. cabletv stealer cuts a cable n ****s everyone in that area.
dsl isnt really shared like cable, it comes from the same c/o, but people get diff speeds and they are set to a speed they can reliably hold. Cable is basically a shared bandwidth where the c/o has a set spd and everyone is sharing that speed, thats why speeds vary so much. Cablealso capped, if it wasnt you would see speeds like what ta8218 is seeing....I am suppose to be on RR 15Mb conn max, but I consistanly run speedtests anywehre from 20-35Mb....170Mb is insane!

as far as speeds go though, Fiber > Cable > DSL

Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg

dsl isnt really shared like cable, it comes from the same c/o, but people get diff speeds and they are set to a speed they can reliably hold. Cable is basically a shared bandwidth where the c/o has a set spd and everyone is sharing that speed, thats why speeds vary so much. Cablealso capped, if it wasnt you would see speeds like what ta8218 is seeing....I am suppose to be on RR 15Mb conn max, but I consistanly run speedtests anywehre from 20-35Mb....170Mb is insane!

as far as speeds go though, Fiber > Cable > DSL

when I had dsl only only good thing about it was is was faster than dailup. Other than it sucked Obama *****!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:20 PM

haha obama *****....

Go easy on DSL, im on a D!ck Sucking LAN (made that up myself just now, you like?) hehhe im living in a rural area, not too many options. I've always been a fan of cable.. and would die for a T1 or T3 (you guys now know what to get me for xmas) But DSL isnt all that bad. back at my old house I had DSL and the Sub Station was like right down my street.. I had lightning fast connection there. But always had better/faster connection with cable.