Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

why hasn't anyone asked this

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why hasn't anyone asked this

Ok I'm new here I thinkI have maybe posted 10 post or so I mostly shut up and listen to all the experienced riders here and try and sift throught through the trash. But in every case thatI read about shouldI get a 600(f4i or RR) its no get a 250 or 200 then when the person says wellI really want to get the 600 because so and so said they learned on it with no problem everyone starts the bashing.Why not say hey go get they 600 that you want and then if thier is a person realtively close to him or her that has experience with riding tell them hey look lets go ride one day and maybe I could show you some stuff. I know this could'nt work with everyone but in some case'sI think it would help some just to give a day or two to a newbie and show some leadership.I think it would be better than no get a 200 and learn from there.Yes I did a search and thier is not one post of help me ride,or learn to ride,or anything elsa to that nature.If we have time to sit and rant with a key board why not spend a few extra moments and meet someone in person and really help a newbie out.
Here in texas one of my co workers rides a bike I told him I was thinking of getting one and he said cool I'll tell you what lets get together and ill let you ride my bike and see if you like it or not in the parking lot and so then when you get your bike I'll take a couple days off and well take a ride on some back roads away from a lot of traffic so i can show you some stuff.I know a lot of people cant take days off and show people how to ride and let some newbie ride thier bike but if your already planning to ride why not ride up or down to where a newbie was and ride with him for a day you just might make a new friend and have fun in the process.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Default RE: why hasn't anyone asked this

i had a gracious friend let me ride his SV after i took my MSF course, to see if i liked it or not. I bought a F4i, Great BIKE!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned

I think that's a great idea Mr Beefy.

Unfortunately, generally people are too lazy and would rather spend an extra five minutes describing why you should get a 250 rather than what you can do with a 600 as a beginner.

The way I look at it - there are waaaayy more people that successfully begin ona 600 and continue to ride well into their lives with maybe a few glitches here and there.

Bottom line is, yes. A seasoned rider can hand your *** to you in the twisties on a 250 with you on a 600. But that doesn't mean you can't learn on a 600. It also doesn't mean you can't learn to one day hand someone their *** on your 600 and them on a 1000.

What people are getting at, is that when you do make a mistake, a 250 is a lot more forgiving when you panic than a 600, or even more a 1000. That's all most poeple are really trying to hit home.

Personally, this is how I look at it. If you've never riden a motorcycle period, get a 250 or 500. If you've got maybe a summer or two of riding dirtbikes and are fmailir with how a bike handles - AND you are the type of person to approach things logically, get a damn 600 and you'll be okay.

Personally, again, I would be happy to meet with someone and show them some of the finesse that goes into riding to make it more enjoyable. I can't give you track tips, but I can very well drive home the importance of the little things that we do every day...

Take for instance turns. I can't describe how many riders I've seen take a left from the outside of the lane, or a right from the inside...NO. Don't ever do that, and I would love to explain why if it doens't make sense. Target fixation, counter-steering, threshold braking, constant peripheral scanning, always check you mirrors and planning ahead.

These are all things you hear all the time, but it really doesn't mean squat to most riders until they either get in an accident, orsomeone physically shows them how and why it is done.

Anyway, I think you have a great idea and maybe someone could start like a Frapper thing for this. That way anyone who is new to riding can find someone in riding distance who is willing to helo them out for a day or two. Could make a fun weekend!

Good idea!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:55 PM

I rather tell somebody how to ride instead of teach some newbie on my bike .02.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

Okay, we'll try this.

I've set up a "CBR Forum Riders Helping Riders"Frappr map - anyone who wants; help, others to ride with, or is willing to help others with riding -make yourself known here...

http://www.frappr.com/?a=constellati...id=68719915048

EDIT: The only thing I ask, is that if you participate - please fill out at least your name, sex and age. If we're going to be meeting people, complete strangers - let's have an idea of who they are. I don't care about pictures or anything else, let's just get an idea of who we're meeting...

Sound good?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 PM

What people are getting at, is that when you do make a mistake, a 250 is a lot more forgiving when you panic than a 600, or even more a 1000. That's all most poeple are really trying to hit home.
Its not that we dont think anyone can handle a new 1000 or a 600.Its our responsibility to make sure people are confident riders out in traffic becasue lets face it...it dangerous if your not confident...so if ya want a 600 or a 1000 by all means go ahead and buy one..but we would hate to find out that once u get a 1000 u might that riding a motorcycle just isnt as easy as it looks....especially something with 168 hp at 450 lbs...thats where we are at liberty to speak up....if you want it buy it....end of discussion

Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM

My first street bike is my 96 F3, i dabbled in motorcross in high school but were talking apples and oranges between motorcross and street. I say buy what ever bike you want. If your responsible you can learn on anything. Take it slow until your comfortable, and ALWAYS wear your gear. Ride safe ride Hard!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Dirt and street are two different things, yes. But when you develop confidence in your ability on a dirtbike,you havea headstartperforming the simple tasks like... well... multi-tasking. Which is what we do on the street. If you already know how to stay upright and have the idea of leaning into a turn, you're good.

It's the obstacles from point a to point b that make daily riding dangerous. And when one of those obstacles jumps in front of you - your confidence is going to play a major role in the outcome. You'll either panic and the front will come out from underneath you or you'll hit the brakes to the threshold while looking out of your escape route.

Even in a minor situation, if you don't have throttle control a 1000cc bike is going to come out from underneath you and go on it's on path with you trailing behind it increasingly slower until you come to a painful, burning stop.

Nonew rider needs a liter bike. I will say that. 600's are pushing it.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:32 PM

anybody that wants to start riding should be taking the msf course anyway...

Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Retired Moderator

I am one of those who had never ridden before in my life (not even a dirt bike), and I started on a 600. Everyone said I would kill myself, and maybe that is what gave me the desire to absorbe everything I could about riding well (MSF, books, forums, talking to riders, etc). I, too, had a great friend who rode with me a lot, and was patient and helped me with my practical skills. He never pushed me, got too far ahead of me, seemed impatient, or anything. We should all be so lucky as beginers. Good luck, Beefy, I hope you find a helping hand.

Quick Reply: why hasn't anyone asked this