Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

why does rossi do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does rossi do this?

he puts his leg out when hes about to turn

even casey started doing it

Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM

yeah, alot of them are doing it now. I watched an interview with Rossi and he was asked why he does it, he just said.. I dunno, but it feels better. Like he can get into the corner deeper and make it around faster. then again, he might just not want to give away the secret...lol.

Duhamel use to stick his body way out to the side with his leg out really far, supposedly this was to have an "air brake" effect, plus put that little extra pressure to the inside of the bike. Im not sure if this has the same effect.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM

i heard it is from riding dirt bikes...and thats how you enter a corner on a dirt bike. Most of these guys started out on dirt and its just habit. Ive also heard the air brake thing too.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Haha I do that to. And if youlook carefully, everyone does it, he just tends to do it early. By hanging off the bike so far, it allows the bike to stay more upright, leaving a larger contact patch between tire and bike. Overall allowing faster cornering with better traction

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
i heard it is from riding dirt bikes...and thats how you enter a corner on a dirt bike. Most of these guys started out on dirt and its just habit. Ive also heard the air brake thing too.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.. Digging his feet in before he nails the turn. Hard to tell tho.. but he doesn't even know why he does it.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Dirt track habit.......

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It's for braking, weight, and blocking the inside path if you think someone wants to take it. It's not a dirt track habit, these people are professionals...

Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM

It's only a MotoGP thing though. If you watch World SBK you don't see it. I heard the commentators address it a little and they talked like Rossi is the one who started it and then the other MotoGP guys followed him. In World SBK maybe more guys will pattern riding styles after Ben Spies now and have their elbows sticking way out like he does.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:00 PM

+1 and completely helps with blocking,not just turns......

Originally Posted by Aken
It's for braking, weight, and blocking the inside path if you think someone wants to take it. It's not a dirt track habit, these people are professionals...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 PM

def helps slow you due to air. try it goin 50 plus you will feel it slow you and turn you a little. also helps throw your weight into the turn

Quick Reply: why does rossi do this?