Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why do car drivers feel its okay to pull out in front of a motorcycle but wouldn't do

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do car drivers feel its okay to pull out in front of a motorcycle but wouldn't do

When im driving my loud z06 Corvette I have noticed drivers are much less likely to pull out in front of me? Maybe its because of the aftermarket exhaust and the X pipe or the bright red car or simply the car is a bigger threat to them than a small motorcycle? I always used to chuckle at the harley guys when they said "Loud pipes, Save lives" but now im starting to wonder if maybe its true? Did any of you also notice this or im wondering if its only in my head?

Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They are looking for cars, not motorcycles. They'd pull out in front of a horse if they could. And if they do see you, they don't care.
I don't ride a bicycle anymore due to that reason. They see you, look right at you when you are 10 feet away and then pull out and yell at you because you didn't give them right-away.
They know the insurance company would get after them if they trashed your Z06. The don't give a damn about a bike. You should have good brakes so use them is their answer.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Today the wife and I were heading to do some grocery shopping. About a block away from the store, there was someone standing in the road holding up traffic. We were trying to figure out what the hell was going on, when we got closer we saw a bike laying in the middle of the road and a car parked across the lane with the side smashed in.

The bike was going along the main road , and the car just pulled straight across in front of him. This was NOT a blind corner by any means it was bordered on 3 sides by empty parking lots and a public park. There was simply NO obstructed view, just a blind car driver.

I parked and went to check out the scene (accident just happend), the rider was more pissed off than hurt thank god.
It never fails to amaze me. I mean human beings make mistakes but this is so common I just cant wrap my head around it.

Thats why I always drive the point into my sons head, EVERY car is aiming for you. Ride accordingly.

As for the loud pipe thing, my exhaust is not obnoxious but it is loud enough, and I still get cut off at least once a ride.
people just do the glance from side to side, and I think the bikes are just too small to be seen with out them actually looking

Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I can only agree ^^^^ The best thing I was taught many, many years ago (about 42) was the 'what if' rule. When riding always assess "what if" that car pulls out, pulls into my lane, stops suddenly? Where will you go?, have you the room to stop or maneuvre safely? Saved me having an interaction with a careless car and driver many times. That and NEVER sit in a driver's blind spot.

I try not to ride in cities because there is just too many people in cages not paying attention, although I have noticed in the country now, so many more heads down in cars texting or checking their mobiles - drifting onto my side of the road. These are the worst of all. When I'm Dictator of the World, these people will be first up against the wall.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In NY state, texting or talking on the phone will get you 5 points on your license. 10 points you loose you license, it doesn't stop them.

My son made an interesting statement one day. He said they should treat texting (distracted driving) like DWI or worse. They need heavier punishment.
His point was, a drunk is at least making an effort. A texting diver is not looking at the road.

My son made that statement after he had stopped at a stop sign and the texting guy behind him looked up at the last minute. The guy swerved right and up over the curb, across the walkway skidding up along side his bike.

WTW, I'm not a believer in loud pipes. The sound echos and you don't know where it's coming from. Also the sound is rearward not at other drivers. It only upsets residents in the neighborhood. Loud pipes are kind of like an emergency vehicle's siren that you can't pinpoint. Thinking that they know you are there because you are loud may set you up for failure. It may confuse them and make thing worse.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Loud pipes don't save lives, smart riding does. Always keep your head on a swivel and be prepared for all the stupidity that will happen around you. When it does happen, try not to get all worked up about it amd make an avoided situation turn bad because of your behavior. Brush it off and ride away.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Also, don't be stupid and expect people to care about you.

Last night I was headed home in my cage, in the left lane of a 3 lane interstate passing someone. I was going a little over 80. Out of nowhere a guy on bike with giant ape hangers split the lane (illegal where I live) between me and the other car. he was going every bit of 100. He missed my right rearview mirror by inches. His loud pipes did not help him at all. In fact they started me and could have caused me to swerve into him. As he passed me, I wondered how I didn't see him from behind. Then I saw why. The piece of highway had really long sweeping hill so you could see a long way in front of you. I watched him as he crisscrossed between all 3 lanes of traffic, "Idiot". I thought. I saw him get off the exit far ahead of me. When I caught up to him I saw him he was on a 2 lane highway passing someone on a hill with a double yellow line. He was just cresting the hill in the wrong lane of traffic when I saw him. If there'd been a car coming, he'd be on the evening news.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I cant help it shake my head when I see stuff like that. The first guys whining when their luck runs out. Its always the cars fault too.

As for the not over reacting and turning an irritating incident into a big deal, thats why I wont ride with my brother any more. some one cuts you off, a well adjusted person will shake their head , flip the finger if you have to, and be done with it.
Not chase someone 20 miles down a road risking serious injury just because youve been slighted. In the over all picture , it has no lasting effect on your life shake it off and get on with your day.
It would take multiple life times to go after every d-bag in the human race lol

Old 04-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some say that you need to assume the driver doesn't see you. I say you should assume the driver DOES see you and is TRYING to hit you.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don’t believe that car drivers feel it’s ok to pull out on us. The same question reversed has probably been posted in car forums.
We have all made mistakes if we’re honest, I know I have, but an apology and thought not to repeat it is all you can do.
Stay safe.

The following users liked this post:
SunBlue (04-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Why do car drivers feel its okay to pull out in front of a motorcycle but wouldn't do