Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why Is it that....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Is it that....

Why is it that i keep reading threads about a guy with an '06 whatever that just bought it from a buddy who went down on it. the story is always the same about some gravel in a turn or something like that. Do people just not learn to ride these days and think its a toy? gosh..take a damn class or something.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Is it that....

word

Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Retired Admin

To many people getting on bikes now dont respect them. They simply want to look cool and get noticed! Its like when I was a kid and I had to have a skateboard. I didnt respect it and got hurt alot!! Just now a days the toys ae bigger and much more dangerous!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 AM

Well from personal experience, I wanted a bike for the economical factor plus having fun. My current ride was a huge lifted dodge quad cab...4-8mpg, looked sharp but was heavy on the pockets...so I went looking for a motorcycle with zero experience. I realized I had a 99.9% chance of putting it down so I looked for used. Now...I'm a conservative rider, and safe, but stil, wanted to get my feet wet, so maybe not the best thing to get the latest and greatest liter bike, so in shopping around, found and F2, price was right and it looked nice, had heard nothing but good about honda and off I went with my new bike. I put that thing down within hours, simply by me not paying attention and having too much fun. Absolutely no respect. I'm glad it happened though, really taught me a whole lot of respect for the machine and really put me in my place. Now, I think I'm a better rider for it, kinda just needed a kick in the *** for a wake-up, my perspective is now different. Now I learn the roads I like to ride, take every safety course I can get and plan ahead and put thought into my riding. Well, thats been a few years, no accidents since, I ride 300+ days a year, and here in Seattle area, 200 of those days straight suck pissing down cold rain, but I figure the worse day riding is better than the best day at work, and I enjoy every bit of it.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop
I figure the worse day riding is better than the best day at work, and I enjoy every bit of it.
+1

Old 08-09-2006, 06:12 AM

same here layed mine down as soon as i got on it. in the grass. I was lucky.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, thats why i bought an 87 hurricane. and i have dropped it at under 5 MPH 3 times, first time was when i was learning to ride and braked in a right turn (first time out of parking lot), second time was after parked on hill it fell over, and third time guy almost hit me on incline in parking lot and i had to turn it and bail breaking my brake lever. guy just took off. just wonder why some riders embrace new riders to get 06 models of anything, much ANY type of RR. i started on a 600, but its an old 600.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
oNi

Yeah I hear you on that rrasco, that's why I got my F3, knew there's a great chance of me dropping it and it already happened as it tipped over in my driveway. I wouldn't recommend new riders getting a new bike but if that's what they want, more power to em, just hope they respect it enough not to drop it going fast and hurt themselves then end up hating riding and selling the bike......... which is exactly what you mentioned. People like that shouldn't get new bikes but there are people out there that take all the precautions and safety/courses and get a new bike and do just fine, which is why I don't really mind seeing new riders with new bikes, just hope they're smart about it.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm a new rider with an 06 F4i. I ride slow and in every corner I'm always really slow looking for gravel. Although this last Saturday I was really pushing it as I found out that the yellow speed limit signs for corners only apply to things with more than two wheels. If you're on a bike you can double that speed no problem! lol Taking some 20mph turns at 45 was really fun but afterwards a little scary when I thought, "hmmmm I'm lucky I didn't crash!" I think I'm starting to get too much confidence and it's going to bite me so I haven't been out actually riding for fun since Saturday. Probably this weekend I'll go out again. Anyway, I think if you're careful and ride under your limits you'll be ok. But you have to remember there's always the things that you can't see coming like dirt or small pebbles blending in with the road or another driving not paying attention.

Mike

Old 08-09-2006, 05:01 PM

I bought a used Katana as my first bike. The beast was heavy and i laid it down in a parking lot once and i stalled at a light and tipped once. We almost all toss around our first bikes. The funny thing is, i had that bike for 8 months, dropped it twice, and still sold it for only 100 less then i bought it. The used market is awesome.