Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Whoohoo, my first highway ride since...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whoohoo, my first highway ride since...

So, today was like the first day for about a week that we didn't have rain up here in the NE USA and I decided, I am not going to stay in the house on another Sunday, which is what I usually do. So, I decided to ride and get on the highway since I have not been on the highway since I had my first low-side back in February. I didn't go as fast (before I took the bike to like 120MPH on the highway, but only to test the bike) and cruised around 75-80MPH in 4th gear.

Now everything was fine until I came back from where I rode to and got off of the highway and some guy driving an Accord decided at the last millisecond that he was not going to take the light and stopped. I almost slammed in the back of him, but veered to the left of his car and almost hit his mirror. I broke hard, but not too hard, and my back tire locked up. I only swerved like a few inches, but stopped within like 8 feet (which I think is pretty good when going like 30MPH). Thank god for that and thank god for those skill I learned in the MSF course.

I should have decided early on not to go for the light whether or not that car was going to take it, but for me it won't happen again.

Happy riding and be safe!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Good to hear you're back on the saddle again Snake, and I won't give you any flack about that close call either, lol. Some guys don't like riding on the HWY, but I love playing on them (80-90 mph, with occasional triple digits) and carving up the on/off ramps; very invigorating.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Well, the only thing, other than cagers who can't drive too well, that I don't like about highways is when there is too much road work going on. Here in PA, I rode on Route 309 and the north end of the 10 mile highway stretch there is road work that is happening until 2011.

Within the next couple of weekend days off, I will probably ride some of the other Interstate roads around here.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

80mph in 4th gear?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM

dude you gotta avoid 309. i f'n hate that road. i drive a truck up through there almost everyother day from the turn pike on and it sucks ***. yeah this Pa weather is really annoying. seams like everyday or everyother day is rainin. im way over it.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
80mph in 4th gear?
Too slow?

Or should I ride at that speed in a higher gear?

Or should I be going faster in 4th gear?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Yeah, 309 is a nasty road, but the first half of it coming from Cheltenham isn't so bad, its the north end that sucks.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Too slow?

Or should I ride at that speed in a higher gear?

Or should I be going faster in 4th gear?
Why cruise in 4th gear at all? If you're going extended distances you should just slap it into 6th and save fuel...

Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ryans CBR
Why cruise in 4th gear at all? If you're going extended distances you should just slap it into 6th and save fuel...
I see your point.

That highway is really short and I was cruising just over 6K RPM in 4th (come to think about it, I was in 5th gear) and I like having a little more reserve power because cars drive on that highway like they don't have any sense of control.

However, usually, when I am cruising on a highway, I get to 6th gear and stay around 4-5K RPM.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Man the roads here in PA are the worst.. I ride on the Turnpike a couple days every week to see my girlfriend out in harmarville and there is non stop construction and uneven pavement..

Quick Reply: Whoohoo, my first highway ride since...