CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Who is running a patched / plugged tire (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/who-running-patched-plugged-tire-108719/)

crashndent 04-22-2010 09:51 PM

wheelies?

i've plugged a tire with 3 or 4 on the stuntbike a couple of times and never had a problem. used standard plugs and rubber cement. bore it out good, set the plug, cover it with rubber cement and set it on fire. let it burn for a minute or so, blow it out and then let it cool for a while. bonds the plug and tire that way. they stayed in at 100mph plus wheelies, :icon_shrug:. thats from back when i used to do that stuff.

Sprock 04-22-2010 10:26 PM

cover it with rubber cement and set it on fire.
makes sense but had me laughing my ass off when I first read it :D
Just better not run out of wind when you are putting it out ! .....lol

crashndent 04-23-2010 10:05 AM

true

so true, lol.

PlayfulGod 04-23-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by knb13 (Post 906101)
on a car tire- yes.

Bike tire- NO.

Plugs are meant to be a temporary fix while a patch is a permanent fix.

Also- bike tires aren't 'that' expensive. I feel it would be well worth the money to just get a new one for peace of mind. Why risk it?

bike tires cost more than car tires so why not replace those too then????

Ran a plugged by me tire on the rear for over 8k w/o issue and would do it again.

bambam 04-23-2010 11:07 AM

PG..waz up dog....agree , running a plug in the 190 on my 929 , to much tread to ditch , and dont have the cash to replace for awile, not gonna let the bike sit. its not like the tire is gonna explode, if plug fails , the tire will just loose air the same way it did when puntured. so the why risk it thing wood also apply to riding in general, why risk it , i could get a flat?

Mondstar77 05-03-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bambam (Post 911119)
PG..waz up dog....agree , running a plug in the 190 on my 929 , to much tread to ditch , and dont have the cash to replace for awile, not gonna let the bike sit. its not like the tire is gonna explode, if plug fails , the tire will just loose air the same way it did when puntured. so the why risk it thing wood also apply to riding in general, why risk it , i could get a flat?

So true, so true!!! I never thought about it that way. Plug, here I come. I don't ride that hard, YET, anyway. Thanks.

kowen1208 05-04-2010 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by knb13 (Post 906101)
Also- bike tires aren't 'that' expensive. I feel it would be well worth the money to just get a new one for peace of mind. Why risk it?

A car tire is maybe $125 for 50-60k miles while a bike tire is $200 for about 7k miles. That's about 11x more expensive for the mileage.

I replaced the flat front I just got, but I was planning on replacing it sometime soon anyway. It was getting old and it was a bargain basement Shinko. If I get another flat, I'll definitely plug it unless it has already lived out most of its life.

knb13 05-04-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by kowen1208 (Post 916215)
A car tire is maybe $125 for 50-60k miles while a bike tire is $200 for about 7k miles. That's about 11x more expensive for the mileage.

I replaced the flat front I just got, but I was planning on replacing it sometime soon anyway. It was getting old and it was a bargain basement Shinko. If I get another flat, I'll definitely plug it unless it has already lived out most of its life.

I guess it's all relative... I got my pair of Pilot Powers for $198 shipped to my door. I don't ride that much- they will last me a while.

My mustang tires cost about that per/tire and I go through them alot faster.

If I get a flat on a car, I have 3 other tires to support the vehicle for me to safely pull over. If one tire on the bike starts to go, I don't like only having one other tire. I don't want to find out the rear plug/patch is leaking and the tire is really low on air while I'm dragging my knee in the middle of a tight sweeper.

I mean do what you want and feel comfortable doing. I like to do everything I can to be safe... and tires are a huge saftey thing for me personally. Same reason I don't want flush mounts- I feel they decrease visibilty of the turn signals but thats another story. :)

Nyx13 05-29-2010 03:27 AM

I discovered a nail in my rear tire today :icon_rant: Sooooooo not happy! We were heading to a couple bike places on our ride anyway and one does bike work, so I thought I'd ask....they flat out said 'no' to doing a plug when they saw I had a CBR. Looks like I'm in for a new tire...

(951) Baby Shortee 05-29-2010 01:20 PM

I got a nail right in the middle of my new tire. I got one of those atv repair kits free from work. When you install the plug it folds in half, so it actually looks like two plugs are in the hole making it two plugs thick. I jammed two plugs in the puncture and so the entire plug I inserted was actually four plugs thick. I made sure to coat them in repair sealer, wich i also got from work, before inserting them. It never looses any air.