CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Who is running a patched / plugged tire (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/who-running-patched-plugged-tire-108719/)

usetheffours 04-11-2010 06:02 PM

Who is running a patched / plugged tire

I know there are a lot of threads on using a patch, plug, and throwing the tire in the dump after swallowing a nail. I want to know, by the numbers, who is running a repaired tire now.
I'm running on a patch/plug combo.

dmcb2120 04-12-2010 08:33 AM

My buddies R6 has been running a patch in his tire for almost a year and gets down on it

RojerLockless 04-12-2010 09:12 AM

I had really bad luck on my last 2 sets of tires one on my f4i and one on the 1000RR

4 plugs between the 2 bikes in 1 set of tires each.

I've always plugged tires myself I bought a SIX dollar ATV kit at wal-mart and it has 5 plugs in the kit, takes me about 15min to pull a nail and plug the tire and im off riding. I've NEVER had a problem with them even going upwards of 150mph on them with no effect what so ever. If you do it right the plugs bond to the tire and they become one.

Even done a trackday with 1 plug on my rear before.

Indiana Hurricane 04-12-2010 10:26 AM

I pulled a nail out and plugged the tire. It was near the end of the season of riding and only did city riding then. :icon_shrug:

randyjoy 04-12-2010 10:53 AM

I have used the Z rated patch-plugs. Better than just a patch or just a plug.

gump 04-12-2010 11:44 AM

On a car Ok. On a bike hell no..

letsride 04-12-2010 01:23 PM

I ran with a plug/patch in my rear tire for a whole season without any problems.I worked at a tire shop so I did it myself.

jtkardel 04-12-2010 01:51 PM

I just got my first puncture last Thursday in the middle of a 130 mile ride down to Monterey. I put a plug in my rear tire, and have maybe 400 miles on it. I'd be upset if I didn't already have a little over 3000 miles on my BT-16's. They're about 2/3rds to the wear bars. I figure I have a month before I get my 4-5000 miles on these guys and have to change them. I just keep on inspecting the tire, the air pressure, and keeping the tire pressure up so it doesn't deform too much and heat up and fail. I'm not happy about running the plug, but it's better than spending $225 for a new set of meats and an afternoon putting them on when they still have some life in them.

knb13 04-12-2010 01:52 PM

on a car tire- yes.

Bike tire- NO.

Plugs are meant to be a temporary fix while a patch is a permanent fix.

Also- bike tires aren't 'that' expensive. I feel it would be well worth the money to just get a new one for peace of mind. Why risk it?

gotcbr 04-12-2010 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I ran a patch/plug combo on a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT for over 8k miles of commuter riding, wknd twisties, & a couple of track days at Willow Springs. The tire got a nail in the tire w/ less than 100 mi on it. The repair was done by a professional. I didn't worry about it in the slightest.

Bike tires are "expensive" to me. Therefore, I'm going to get all the utility out of them that I can.

I've posted these pics b/f. See my post & others here in this thread...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...ht=plug&page=2

Attachment 56986

Attachment 56987

usetheffours 04-12-2010 08:00 PM

I ran a patch/plug combo on a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT for over 8k miles of commuter riding, wknd twisties, & a couple of track days at Willow Springs. The tire got a nail in the tire w/ less than 100 mi on it. The repair was done by a professional. I didn't worry about it in the slightest.
I hope to have that kind of success with my patch/plug combo. I did it myself, looks just like your pics (guess that means I did something right :icon_shrug: ).
Was very nervous about the tire first week out. Now that I have 300 miles on it and some hard riding, I forget its there.

FLYOU 04-12-2010 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I plugged mine but it kept leaking. I didn't bore it out cleanly enough. Guess that makes a big difference. Removed the tire and put a mushroom patch on the inside and have had 0 problems since. It's not a big deal if it's in the center of the tire. If I took one in the sidewall, forget about it!

Attachment 56969

RojerLockless 04-14-2010 09:46 AM

FYI for anyone that buys new tires and gets a nail in them and says they wont plug them I will pay shipping and I'll never ban you ever ever ever if you send them my way :) I ain't skurd!

deadfred 04-14-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless (Post 906950)
FYI for anyone that buys new tires and gets a nail in them and says they wont plug them I will pay shipping and I'll never ban you ever ever ever if you send them my way :) I ain't skurd!

You should be given an award! Quite the philanthropist! :icon_razz:

This thread makes me feel better. Just got a new rear Pilot and I got a damn puncture... It looks like a piece of wood made the damage because wood slivers are stuck in the hole. How bad is it if I bore it and a few slivers get stuck on the inside after I patch it? I figure its no biggie but just wana make sure!

RojerLockless 04-14-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by deadfred (Post 907092)
You should be given an award! Quite the philanthropist! :icon_razz:

This thread makes me feel better. Just got a new rear Pilot and I got a damn puncture... It looks like a piece of wood made the damage because wood slivers are stuck in the hole. How bad is it if I bore it and a few slivers get stuck on the inside after I patch it? I figure its no biggie but just wana make sure!

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ;)

deadfred 04-14-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless (Post 907095)
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ;)

Thanks Rojer!!! you're not as bad as I always tell people you are ;)

RojerLockless 04-15-2010 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by deadfred (Post 907157)
Thanks Rojer!!! you're not as bad as I always tell people you are ;)

Shhh don't you dare tell anyone I helped you!
:icon_banana:

bmgcya 04-16-2010 11:09 PM

Too much to lose in a wreck if you have a plug that fails.

Just get a new set of tires.

Pretty simple.

R Dub 04-16-2010 11:54 PM

I've plugged my tire last year and its been fine ever since

RojerLockless 04-17-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by bmgcya (Post 908326)
Too much to lose in a wreck if you have a plug that fails.

Just get a new set of tires.

Pretty simple.

Send me ur new tires with holes in them :) I'll ride track days on them :icon_bike:

crashndent 04-22-2010 09:51 PM

wheelies?

i've plugged a tire with 3 or 4 on the stuntbike a couple of times and never had a problem. used standard plugs and rubber cement. bore it out good, set the plug, cover it with rubber cement and set it on fire. let it burn for a minute or so, blow it out and then let it cool for a while. bonds the plug and tire that way. they stayed in at 100mph plus wheelies, :icon_shrug:. thats from back when i used to do that stuff.

Sprock 04-22-2010 10:26 PM

cover it with rubber cement and set it on fire.
makes sense but had me laughing my ass off when I first read it :D
Just better not run out of wind when you are putting it out ! .....lol

crashndent 04-23-2010 10:05 AM

true

so true, lol.

PlayfulGod 04-23-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by knb13 (Post 906101)
on a car tire- yes.

Bike tire- NO.

Plugs are meant to be a temporary fix while a patch is a permanent fix.

Also- bike tires aren't 'that' expensive. I feel it would be well worth the money to just get a new one for peace of mind. Why risk it?

bike tires cost more than car tires so why not replace those too then????

Ran a plugged by me tire on the rear for over 8k w/o issue and would do it again.

bambam 04-23-2010 11:07 AM

PG..waz up dog....agree , running a plug in the 190 on my 929 , to much tread to ditch , and dont have the cash to replace for awile, not gonna let the bike sit. its not like the tire is gonna explode, if plug fails , the tire will just loose air the same way it did when puntured. so the why risk it thing wood also apply to riding in general, why risk it , i could get a flat?

Mondstar77 05-03-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bambam (Post 911119)
PG..waz up dog....agree , running a plug in the 190 on my 929 , to much tread to ditch , and dont have the cash to replace for awile, not gonna let the bike sit. its not like the tire is gonna explode, if plug fails , the tire will just loose air the same way it did when puntured. so the why risk it thing wood also apply to riding in general, why risk it , i could get a flat?

So true, so true!!! I never thought about it that way. Plug, here I come. I don't ride that hard, YET, anyway. Thanks.

kowen1208 05-04-2010 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by knb13 (Post 906101)

A car tire is maybe $125 for 50-60k miles while a bike tire is $200 for about 7k miles. That's about 11x more expensive for the mileage.

I replaced the flat front I just got, but I was planning on replacing it sometime soon anyway. It was getting old and it was a bargain basement Shinko. If I get another flat, I'll definitely plug it unless it has already lived out most of its life.

knb13 05-04-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by kowen1208 (Post 916215)
A car tire is maybe $125 for 50-60k miles while a bike tire is $200 for about 7k miles. That's about 11x more expensive for the mileage.

I replaced the flat front I just got, but I was planning on replacing it sometime soon anyway. It was getting old and it was a bargain basement Shinko. If I get another flat, I'll definitely plug it unless it has already lived out most of its life.

I guess it's all relative... I got my pair of Pilot Powers for $198 shipped to my door. I don't ride that much- they will last me a while.

My mustang tires cost about that per/tire and I go through them alot faster.

If I get a flat on a car, I have 3 other tires to support the vehicle for me to safely pull over. If one tire on the bike starts to go, I don't like only having one other tire. I don't want to find out the rear plug/patch is leaking and the tire is really low on air while I'm dragging my knee in the middle of a tight sweeper.

I mean do what you want and feel comfortable doing. I like to do everything I can to be safe... and tires are a huge saftey thing for me personally. Same reason I don't want flush mounts- I feel they decrease visibilty of the turn signals but thats another story. :)

Nyx13 05-29-2010 03:27 AM

I discovered a nail in my rear tire today :icon_rant: Sooooooo not happy! We were heading to a couple bike places on our ride anyway and one does bike work, so I thought I'd ask....they flat out said 'no' to doing a plug when they saw I had a CBR. Looks like I'm in for a new tire...

(951) Baby Shortee 05-29-2010 01:20 PM

I got a nail right in the middle of my new tire. I got one of those atv repair kits free from work. When you install the plug it folds in half, so it actually looks like two plugs are in the hole making it two plugs thick. I jammed two plugs in the puncture and so the entire plug I inserted was actually four plugs thick. I made sure to coat them in repair sealer, wich i also got from work, before inserting them. It never looses any air.

Krux 06-09-2010 04:14 PM

I plugged mine too. Never have had any issues around 400 miles on it so far and its working great. After inserting it i put dust on it to make it "non sticky" so that i wouldn't pull off when it hits the first flat surface. Doesn't matter if you plug a tire or not..if your going to hit a nail even with a new tire its going to go flat.

NateDieselF4i 06-11-2010 06:41 PM

well as of today I plugged mine. Put about 50 miles on it. Was a little nervous at first but whatever.

I just bought the tires on saturday - i'll probably just use these this summer and get a new set for next season. Although I ride just about all year long.

N8 Dawg 06-12-2010 01:20 AM

I plugged 2 different tires on my old F4, and both times the tires were almost brand new. I got 7k miles out of one tire after I plugged it, and the 2nd tire I sold on the bike which had about 5k on it(about 7k on the tire itself) and was actually time to be replaced. Both times I plugged the tire myself and ran 80mph down the interstate almost daily to work in the summer. I didnt really have $300 extra to spend on another tire when both my tires were still pretty much new

piratearghh 06-12-2010 11:06 AM

yeah i ran a plug fo rlike 2000 miles befor ei could afford a new tire tire swalled a 1/4 inche bolt!

willlo99 07-13-2010 03:33 AM

how about a piece of beer bottle?? lol

thrasher572 10-06-2010 09:20 AM

I just picked up a screw in my new rear tire. Plugged it. No more high speed runs for a while...

CYACOP 10-08-2010 03:07 PM

You guys who say don't plug it shouldn't be riding bikes in fear of picking up a nail and getting a flat. Ive ridden on a completely flat (rear tire) before to get back home and didn't worry.

CTcbr929 10-09-2010 01:43 AM

would never

Replace the tire even if its a week old, brand new tire with a nail in it, and sell the one with a nail in it to someone who is willing to plug/patch it

https://cbrforum.com/forum/picture.p...ictureid=10289