Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who bought a computer with Vista/XP downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who bought a computer with Vista/XP downgrade?

Ok, I have an issue and HP pissed me off already. Here is the deal. I have 4 new laptops I just received which all are supposed to come with Vista Business with an XP downgrade. I have never received a system with the whole downgrade thing. I was assuming that on first boot I would have a few options.1) stick with vista, 2) downgrade to XP, or 3) if there was not a first boot option that Vista would be installed and I have a disk to perform the downgrade to XP. If that were the case, I wouldnt be here asking. When I first booted the machine it went to an XP isntallation screen, you know, the press f6 to load raid drivers, etc. Then rebooted shortly after that, DID NOT DO A XP INSTALL, just copied some files or some ****. Then after rebooting it went to the welcome to windows, whats your name, configure lan connection, etc. Now, the system is running XP. I have a Vista and XP disk that came with the system. The vista disk notes, this software is already installed, this is for recovery only. The HP tech told me I could reinstall windows, well, no ****, isnt that a little counterintuitive?

Here is what I need to know, how does the downgrade work? Do the downgrades come with XP or Vista installed? Am I supposed to be prompted on first boot which OS I want? Am I supposed to perform an XP downgrade, or a Vista upgrade?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who bought a computer with Vista/XP downgrade?

I see how it is when a computer guy needs help......

I figured out they are supposed to have XP on there and you get both disks, Vista and XP. Since Vista is licensed it is valid for a previous version of windows as well. If you want to upgrade to Vista, you can. If you want to keep XP, you do nothing. I was just going to perform the upgrade but something happened. Gotta figure that out now, something about being blocked via the unattend file. Which I dont know what that is.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... yeah ill always use microsoft products... but doesnt that say something when you get a downgrade option with your computer?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ta8218

... yeah ill always use microsoft products... but doesnt that say something when you get a downgrade option with your computer?
It says that people dont know how to use computers and that in reality Vista 64bit is an awesome operating system.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:33 PM

First off. There's no such thing as "downgrade" so they blew smoke up your ***.

Second, Dell is the only big pc company that used to offer dual boot but I dont think they do anymore. That I know of.

If you're wanting to dual boot xp and vista. You need to install XP first, then vista. Everywhere I read, that is the really the only way. You need a full copy of xp and vista (not the ones that say "upgrade" on them)

Old 10-31-2008, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

ORIGINAL: ta8218

It says that people dont know how to use computers and that in reality Vista 64bit is an awesome operating system.
Oh I agree 100% its awesome, but they put it on too many computers that are incapable of running it. I have 4gb of ram, SLI 8800 GTS 640's, an FX-62, and dual WD raptor X's and its great. But on my laptop.... it blows.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 PM

Yea, i'll stick to my linux distro...if i want bs and more bs, i'll install windows

Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i didnt like vista but mojave was awesome

Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

Yea, i'll stick to my linux distro...if i want bs and more bs, i'll install windows
How much different is Linux, and does it support gaming? Could you possibly post a screen shot? /Thread Jack

ORIGINAL:rrasco

I see how it is when a computer guy needs help......
How did things work out for you? Dont know how the customer service tech is with HP, but with Dell you have a Time Limit on technical help on the phone

Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

i didnt like vista but mojave was awesome

Nice poke Havoc

Quick Reply: Who bought a computer with Vista/XP downgrade?