Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Where to now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to now?

Ok, I have lived here in the great NW since 94'. I love it here, but I want a change.

My question is

Where to now?

I am a west coast boy and always will be, but I am willing to try anything out. I can work in anytown I move to, so work is not a problem. Although I would like to move to a town that is a little higher on the pay scale.

What city or cities should I look into? Where do I want to move to? The main thing is that where I decide to go has to have a considerable amount of twisties nearby. That is my only concern. Oh yeah, and somewhere I can ride year round without putting on ten layers.

Whos got suggestions?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Default RE: Where to now?

los angeles/orange county/san diego

Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM

Nothing personal but I've been to LA...wouldn't want to live there.

I would suggest to the OP...either one of 4 places.

New Mexico...year roung riding...

Arizona...year round riding and a non PC type state

Montana...No official speed limits in alot of areas.

Amsterdam Holland...unless you are shooting other poeple, you can do most anything you want. One of the most FREE places in the world.

Florida feels like a **** version of a year round Sauna...avoid.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Definitely San Diego. Unbeatable weather, unmatched coastal beauty, and more importantly--a sense of clean self-respect that, at least I think, is more prevalent than in Orange and LA counties. In my opinion, SD can give you whatever you're looking for--downtown big-city atmosphere, small town, neighborly quiet, and just about everything in between. Plus great roads that have never seen a snow plow...

It's not perfect--no city is--but IMO it comes as close as you can get inside the U.S.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see you leaving us...This area truly gives all four seasons...plus you drive two hours west , you have the Pacific, two hours east, snow, three hours SE, you can usually find alot of sun. Alot of beautiful green scenery here unlike say, LA, Vegas, Phoenix, etc...
Good Luck!
RB

Old 12-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard for anybody to really say... that's all up to you and what kind of place you enjoy and what kind of stuff you're looking for. Personally I'm in heaven here in north Georgia, living out in the sticks away from big cities. I love it, but it's not everybodys cup o tea. Some people like the big cities, me I try and stay as far away from them as possible.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, so can't really make any honest suggestions. I grew up in the midwest (northern Illinois) and I liked it there, though it could be boring at times. Then moved down to south Florida, and I can honestly say I've never been in a place I downright hated soooooooooo much in my life (for many many many reasons), and now in N. GA and loving it

Arizona/New Mexico/Colorado/Utah were strong considerations when I moved too. Seems really nice out that way. I like the scenery and all that in Cali, but I just don't like Cali as a state (all the stupid laws at whatnot... I wouldn't want to live there). Montana is cool too, but it gets really cold and snowy there [&:] LOL. All comes down to your personal preference though. I picked here in N. GA because it's right up in the mountains, giving me tons of kick *** roads to ride and beautiful scenery, and the climate isn't too extreme (as was northern Illinois where I grew up). Plus everybody has always seemed very friendly in this area

Good luck with wherever you decide to go!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I guess that whole "no 10 layers" thing kinda rules out Wisconsin then, eh?

I lived in the East Bay area in CA for a while in 2006. I really enjoyed the weather and scenery, and there wasn't a shortage of places to venture off to on the bike. I wasn't there for the winter months, but from what I've seen / heard, it's common to be 50s and rain/gray.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Greenville, South Carolina

Old 12-22-2007, 08:12 PM

I live in Maine, stay away from Maine. Its great here but only because I was born here and I have a fear of leaving. Riding season is very short. Cost of living is unreal. Most heavily wooded state in the US. I must say though, that it is a beautiful state.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Spain would be at the top of my list. New Zealand, if you want an English-speaking country.

In the US:
California has a lot of nice choices. Bay area is great, but definitely not cheap. San Diego is very quiet and conservative for a large city, but it's absolutely beautiful with perfect weather. I love LA, but I can see why it might not be for everyone.

Colorado is incredible, but winters can be a little tough once you get up into the mountains. I think northern Arizona (Flagstaff), or Albuquerque if you want a little bigger city, might work for you.

I'm a city boy 100%, but I'll agree with Jared that the mountains of northern Georgia, western North Carolina are very, very nice.