Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

When left to their own devices, people would rather please than displease.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When left to their own devices, people would rather please than displease.

Thats because now a days, if you were to discipline your child like a lot of use were disciplined, they would have their kids taken away, or sued, or arrested. I got plenty of whoopins from my dad, and to this day i have no problem with it.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Default RE: When left to their own devices, people would rather please than displease.

I have to respectfully disagree

I'm sure doog is friendly with his kids. He's not saying he chose discipline over affection...just discipline before affection. And I agree. Humans are the same as dogs, really.

You said your dad disciplined you when necessary, but I'll bet a dollar he did more than you realized. Especially the first five years. Maybe you learn fast and didn't need constant reminding, so you two were lucky and had more time to be friendly.

I don't know, I don't plan on having any rugrats, so it doesn't matter. I just think the "friends" part should not be the first priority between parent and child. Friends just lie to you, anyway...oh, you don't look that bad lol

Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone here read 'Lord of the flies' ?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: itgbudeev

I have to respectfully disagree with Doogstar.

I am 22 years old, and my father is one of my best friends. Sure, there where times when we butted heads when i was a young teenager, but it was nothing really serious. They would let me have freedom, but disciplined me when necessary. I think that it is completely possible to be your kids friend and their superior.

Even in college it disgusted me how some people would act, when no one was around to force them to do things, they thought/ knew there wouldn't be consequences. so in a sense i believe that Woo is right. if you condition a child to be understanding of situations, and understanding of what is right and wrong, then that will stay with them in the future. If you force them to do things, without making them understand WHY that is the right thing to do, they will be resentful, and rebel in the future.

as i said before, i'm only 22 and seeing some of the kids in highschool these days, only 4-5 years younger than I am... they have no respect for anyone, and will do whatever they want to. its really quite sad what things are coming to
Its all good brother. We all know some children require more time and attention than others. Maybe you were one of the ones that was pretty much on cruise control. Plus its a little different between boys and girls. Being friends with your children once they are grown is fine. I, for the most part, mirrored my parenting style from the way my mom raised me, with a few changes where needed. Single woman, with 2 boys. It was hard, and she never tired. She got on my ****in nerves cuz she rode me so hard, and there was never any getting over. I never understood until I got grown. I love my girls. They get affection most of the time, but when they do things they know they shouldnt do, I punish them. Its not always a beating though. Remember, I was a Drill Sergeant, so I am pretty creative. I make the oldest write sentences100,200,300 etc times. I feel as if I am pretty effective at what I do. Not perfect by any means. It makes me feel good to have company come over and hear them say how well mannered my children are. Or even better to see kids out in public cutting up. My kids know better.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

beat your kids its good for them!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 AM

ORIGINAL: 900rrSTUD

I don't have kids but a 10 year old little brother and I am a firm believer of a good ole butt whoopin. My little brother pulls that BS of talking back every now and all I have to do is raise my voice and he hushes it.I think with kids all you have to do is give that one real good whoopin and then about once a month give them a swat on the butt to refreash thier memory of what will happen if they keep that BS up. I mean don't spank them just because but do it if they need a refreasher.
+1People to scared to do this now days, and kids are turning out to be little ****s

Old 10-13-2008, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: RojerLockless

beat your kids its good for them!
HAHAHA!! Amen, preach it brotha

Old 10-13-2008, 04:25 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my *** kicked as a kid, and I'm glad I did (maybe should have had my *** kicked more, even.) I got the belt, the shoe, and the OH so infamous wooden spoon. But I deserved it. There was also another form of punishment when mom uttered "wait til your father gets home".........then you knew s**t was going to happen.

But yeah, I don't have the patience for kids. My pups behave better than children.....and they don't cry for no reason at all. Recently, a lot of my nieces and nephews were down visiting........and you can INSTANTLY tell the ones that are smacked when they smart off, versus the "no spanking" ones. The no-spank ones are absolute brats, they back talk, and you just want to smack the smirks off their faces (again, reason I don't have/want kids). But the smacked kids are MUCH better behaved because they know the consequences if they don't.

But I think I'll stick with the pups and make a family of dogs. At least I can leave my 3 month old pup in a kennel at home while I'm at work.........try that with a kid and I'll have child protective services on my *** instantly.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:37 AM

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

This thread really brings back memories... lol

Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ LOL.

Quick Reply: When left to their own devices, people would rather please than displease.