Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What's your opinion on scooters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money and get something that's not going to leave you completely unsatisfied every time you hit the throttle..

Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything has its purpose I guess. I'm not anti-scooter by any means...*but*...I am against scooters on major hwys where they do NOT belong. I ride in an area that has lots of traffic...traffic that moves fast on both interstate & regional hwy. I routinely see scooters on these roadways where 65-75 is the speed limit. The smaller scooters simply can't do these speeds...&...as a result, cause traffic hazards for others, not to mention themselves. Example...recently on the interstate, I was doing my commute. The speed limit is 70 mph. Two small scooters were in the far right lane (thank goodness) wound out, doing approx 50 mph. Vehicles merging onto the interstate at 60+ mph were having to avoid the scooters just to merge onto the interstate. This was a major safety problem for everyone involved. Just b/c the scooter owners had license plates & gear, definitely didn't make them safe to be on the interstate! I may be wrong but don't some of these scooters come w/ disclaimers about speeds, where to ride/not ride, etc??? When I mention this to scooter owners, they give me the same attitude as Prius drivers that won't go much over 50mph...its a tone of superiority & perceiving that they can do not wrong.

I digress, there is a place for smaller scooters...its IN TOWN, not on interstates or regional hwys where speeds exceed 55mph. Having said that, I can see riding a Honda Ruckus, Bergman, or similar, in town. However, if you plan to expand on your riding, commuting, traveling, I agree w/ others in saving your money for a real motorcycle.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't go out of town. When I do it's with someone else in their car, haha. I did find these in my area
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/1153010742.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/1176878347.html
I'll give um a test ride when I get my money if they are still available. I'm going to test ride a scooter today and see if it's still fun.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM

I live in a city with red lights at just about every block. I didn't want one, but I can't knock on the people who do it's not like I get to open up the throttle anywhere near my house anyway.

Heck of a lot more useful than my CBR for getting groceries. The current backpack tactic is severely limiting.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM

My father finished up his riding career on a 400cc Burgman. It made him smile. It had lots of power for the highway, and he dusted a few Harleys with it, much to his satisfaction. He claimed it had the best weather protection he ever experienced on two wheels and ample cargo capacity. He put almost 14000km on it in the riding season before he passed away.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM

Hey riding a scooter is exciting in its own way. I feel far more exposed on a scoot than my F4i. A 125cc can get up and go, if that is what you want, go for it. 75 miles to the gallon, cheap insurance.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by cman9toes
Hey riding a scooter is exciting in its own way. I feel far more exposed on a scoot than my F4i. A 125cc can get up and go, if that is what you want, go for it. 75 miles to the gallon, cheap insurance.
Thanks cman9toes, that's the kinda post I was looking for. I'd be getting a 150cc so hopefully it'd have a bit more pep. I know it's by no means a sport bike, but I wouldn't be expecting to get to 60 in under 4 seconds. I live 10 minutes away from my work (used to be 1, I moved yesterday) and I just need something fun and economical to get to and from work / errands. Also, if it's a 150 I can still have some fun weekend rides.

On the other hand I'd love to have one of those old bikes I posted above. They'd be fast and awesome. I love the style of mid 80's sport bikes

Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 PM

on prob man, just ignore all the haters, they are jealous that they are too pansy and can't man up to ride a scoot.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:22 PM

In town I would possibly do it. Would be cool for store runs and stuff but it couldn't be a vespa or anything like that. Just wouldn't work for me because I don't do anything in town. I get my mileage on the highway.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:26 PM

I wouldn't wanna scoot the rest of my life either. Just a cheap way to get back on two wheels.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on scooters?