Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What would you do?

This has nothing to do with Yolanda btw

On another forum, people are eagerly awaiting the arrival of their 2012 BMW's. One guy's is already throwing a Check Engine light at the dealer with 0 miles. That's right: out of the crate, its already throwing codes. Dealer did tell the guy about it and needs time to investigate. So here's the question:

Would you accept delivery of the bike, once the dealer sorted the problem?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me personally, No

I think of it as would you buy a car that broke down on the test drive?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I agree with Joe. I will wait another year for new model and see how it is

Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the increasing use and complexities of electronics in all types of engines,
it doesn't surprise me.

As far as accepting delivery, if it's throwing codes...It would depend on the code
generated. After all you DO have a warrenty, and (at least in Oklahoma) there are
pretty good consumer "lemon" laws.

Ern

Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right now, dealers are getting maybe 6 at a time so the '12s are kinda rare. Many were sold while they were still crossing the atlantic. So I can sorta understand the "**** it, gimme" attitude. But that just means is have to be present when the dealer mechanic started diagnostics.

If it were something simple, like a wire jogged loose in transit, that'd be ok. But to me, I can't see what some of them are saying bout accepting a vehicle that may need warranty work before it was ever driven.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

They'll probably just go to BMW.com/support and download new firmware.
Problem sorted.
The OS became obsolete during shipping.
I wouldn't worry.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't, Take it as a "Sign" of possible problems down the track. Sure it's all warranty, but not worth much if your stranded on the side of the road. Everyone thinks that Beemers are the ant pants when it come to reliability, they aren't. I had one of the 1st K series (1000RS) & it had some many bloody gremlins & recalls. Black box, Heat shield (petrol would boil in the tank), fuel regulators failing, electrical problems (speedo, lights would stop working), Moisture forming under the instrument glass, LED read outs dim to the point of being illegible, Oil leaks, Center stand (eventually weakened & snapped) & rear sub frame cracked.
For this reason I would not think about getting another Beemer, apart from the fact that they are way over priced.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every new model roll-out has it's issues, it's whether the manufacturer supports
or not. I tend to not buy first gen stuff. With the pressure to innovate/churn out new models,
a lot of manufacturers use the paying customers to 'beta' their products. And I'm not
talking just bikes here either. As a hard-core geeker, I deal with a lot from the
computer hard/software folks, too.

Odds are the ones with glitches are from people with a "gimme, gimme; mine,mine"
attitude and pressured the dealership to have them before they were completely
prepped. When it's all said and done, though, the dealers should have caught and
corrected any error before the customer had a chance to observe/complain, anyway.

Ern

Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM

it depends on what was wrong. it could be as simple as a sensor that isnt plugged in all the way, or a pin that got pushed through the connector.

if its something major, i wouldnt take it.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM

I would take it depending on what is wrong. I don't want a 0 mile vehicle letting me stranded on the middle of the road.