Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

So I've been searching far and wide for my first motorcycle, and I came across a 2008 grafitti cbr 600rr. It has 5000 miles on it with a leo vince cf slipon. From the pictures it looks mint condition, never dropped. The only thing is the bike is a 17 hour drive away and work won't allow me to go check it out, plus gas would be insane. The bike also has a bank lien on it. The guy said hed have to take a personal loan to cover it and he's losing money no matter what but hed rather pay a small loan than a bike and insurance. he's asking 5700 for it, plus shipping. Would it be worth it, in my shoes to purchase the bike and have it shipped? How would a lien affect the sale? As stated it is 17 hours away from me. Which scares me bc I can't inspect it, it has a lien, and its my first bike. What do you guys think?
Thank you so much for your input and help!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM

You'll never get the title for it until the lien is paid off.

Never buy a bike with no title....period.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Don't do it. lol although that is one sexy bike I love that 600RR

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 AM

I think you are about to be taken advantage of. If there is a lien ,how will he get a loan?Too many yellow flags on this deal. No matter, my advice is to keep looking. Dont let the passion for the bike outweigh your logic. If you are asking, you have some doubts, follow that...

Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IF the seller is shooting you straight on the bank lien situation, then...

This isn't really all that difficult of a situation. You take your money, meet him at the bank, confirm bike condition (& test ride if possible), meet w/ bank officer who will witness transaction - owner pays off lien, title is signed over to you - you're done/he's done. It really is this simple. That's all there is to it. Plus, you've got the bank officer there to expedite the process. I've purchased & sold things this way, as most folks do that have notes left on their vehicles/boats/motorcycles/etc.

The situation obviously has tweaked your common-sense meter. Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question. To do this any other way than above, I wouldn't recommend. Take a day off & go do it if you want it. Otherwise, wait for an easier & closer sale.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Thumbs down pass

no way bro, a clean title is the olny way to go. as for the time in travel , ive traveled 8 hours to get "the" bike i wanted. it was worth it , but have you ever been to a bank to work this kind of deal......nightmare, i could take weeks to get title straight before purchase and thats not even that good of a deal.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by bmgcya
Never buy a bike with no title....period.
Great advise. Stay away from that bike.

Also, if it's your first bike, I would suggest buying an older 600 in good condition. Since I can pretty much guarantee that you will drop your first bike once or twice, why not go through your learning curve with an older, less expensive bike? Plus you can save a ton of money.

Trying to keep up with whatever your friends are riding is not a good reason to buy a newer, more expensive bike.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! Will do. Naw, I'm not trying to keep up with what my friends have, only two friends ride, ones got the Buell Lightning that he lets me take out, the other has an 05 Ninja ZX-6R. I am just in love with the 07+ cbr's, I love the way they look and the way they feel when I've sat on them. I love it. I'm mainly going a 'newer' bike because I want it to last me a few years. Give or take 3-4, hopefully. And I know I might drop it, but it'll be an experience to fix it and get to know more about the bike.

PS:
Originally Posted by bambam
no way bro, a clean title is the olny way to go. as for the time in travel , ive traveled 8 hours to get "the" bike i wanted. it was worth it , but have you ever been to a bank to work this kind of deal......nightmare, i could take weeks to get title straight before purchase and thats not even that good of a deal.
Not a good deal? You're crazzyyyy.. 5700 for an 08 with 5k miles with a leo vince CF slipon.. I was at a local honda dealership and they had a 08 with 2500 miles all stock for 6,799.. Gross..

PSS: Wish I was looking for a 1krr because they're like 2,500 for an 08 with around 2k miles.. Wtf? *****o..

Last edited by DieselRR; 11-06-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel1k
Not a good deal? You're crazzyyyy.. 5700 for an 08 with 5k miles with a leo vince CF slipon.. I was at a local honda dealership and they had a 08 with 2500 miles all stock for 6,799.. Gross..
Fact: The pipe adds no additional value to the sale price of a bike.

It sounds like about the proper price to me. I understand that you've got stars in your eyes and I don't blame you as that's a beautiful bike but I'm going to side with everyone when they say walk away.

gotcbr is dead on with how you could handle it safely, imo, but the distance factor in this equation makes it a no-go for doing it the right way.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Exactly, I have no further intentions with the bike because it's too far away, AND it'll MOST LIKELY make me want to pull my hair out.. It's alright I'll keep looking. ;( Maybe it's for the better and my bike is just waiting for me =)