Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

what is a supersport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a supersport?

what is a supersport and what isnt? i keep hearing now that the f4i is not a supersport from people and i think it is. but i dont get how one group of people could say a bike is and another say it isnt? so what exactly makes an Super sport a supersport? race heritage? hp? handleing? looks?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned
Default RE: what is a supersport?

The F4i was Honda 600cc class racer correct? That makes it a sportbike. Just because there are newer/better/faster/effective sportbikes out there today, that doesn'r change. Is a 308GTS Ferrari not a sports car because it is slower than the new 430?WasMarilyn Monroe not hot because Jessica Alba is so much hotter?

It sounds like you are talking to people that may be into freelance pharmaceuticals, explain it this way;
Ask them if 'speed' isn't drug anymore because crystal meth will f**k you up worse. or that valium is a health food because you can mix heroin, rat poison, and uranium. Get it.

Once a sportsbike, always a sportsbike.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 AM

you know...this is a good question. I thought I knew... but now I'm confused. I was under the impression that classification stems from the professional racing area of Motorcycle. I think these terms are used to classify the CC of the motorcycle race.

This is my speculating.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 PM

well there though was if its not in ama its not a super sport and that just plain stupid to me. i mean if you reverse the logic thats like going well since chevy puts impala on the there nascars that makes the impala a race car.

i mean the was i see it is a clasiffication like you have cruisers, on road off roads, choppers, touring, sport touring, and super sport, which to me it a super sport is nothing more then really a bike that was designed for racing not that it has to be raced but that idea behind it when its being designed. lightweight nimple fast extra.

and i also do see how something can go from being a supersport to not. i mean if they stop racing the current RR that no longer makes it a supersport? i mean nothing else has changed just that there not racing it.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527
valium is a health food because you can mix heroin, rat poison, and uranium
Great analogy.

I think that in AMA racing there are superbikes, superstock, and supersport. Superbikes and superstock are both 1000's, with the superbikes more heavily modified from what you or I can buy, and supersports are 600s. So before 2003, the F4i was Honda's entry in the AMA supersport events, and now it's the RR. I don't know how heavily modded the supersports are.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i was looking online @ a local dealers website only kawi had listing for a "supersport" which was the zx-14, zx-10 and the zx-6r and honda and suzuki listed theirs as "sport bikes" i didnt look @yamaha

Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

It sounds like you are talking to people that may be into freelance pharmaceuticals, explain it this way;
Ask them if 'speed' isn't drug anymore because crystal meth will f**k you up worse. or that valium is a health food because you can mix heroin, rat poison, and uranium. Get it.
well it another forum i was trying it out for the hell of it but i think im gona leave it

Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM

I've always thought CBR, Yamaha R6/1, GSXR, XZ6+ were 'supersport' and obviously anything faster.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think what along with what Munson described from racing, those are the classes. When it comes to street bikes, i dont think any of them are truly a supersport, but generally grouped as sport bikes. some people call them superbikes, supersport, or sportbike. just like i call a soda a coke, people up north call it a pop or soda-pop. i think its more of a slang and language issue than a true classification unless it is actually racing classes.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM

okay i can get that rrasco but there is no really differance between an 03 sport bike weather it is rr or f4i or gxsr would be in the same class right? and they would still remain in that class or type how ever you want to put it even today but they would be just older right?

i mean i have always hear them refered to as super sports or crotch rockets.

Quick Reply: what is a supersport?