Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

what removes rust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what removes rust?

ok i know the question seems duh but hear me out. Ive been working on removing all the rust from my header and mid pipe, its about 70% done but the problem i have is at the collectors, i cant get the power sander in there, i cant get regular sandpaper in there so here is my question. What will remove heavy rust? I thought about CLR (calsium,lime, rust) but that stuffs crazy expensive! will soaking it in gas help any at all? thanks for the help guys oh btw the rust is pretty bad ill post a pic and show you

The oval is where im talking about but of course the pipes off the bike now and its actually on the backside of where i circled that im having a hard time with.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Default RE: what removes rust?

Naval jelly will help but there's not many chemical treatments that just make it fall off. Sand blasting is you're best option or you could send that **** rusty as he'll to jethot and you'll get a nice sterling ceramic coated header inside and out back.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm im trying to picture the spot your talking about.. i was gonna suggest an S.O.S pad, they do an alright job at removing rust, but if the spot is to tight toeven geta peice of sandpaper in, i dont know if that will help or not. CLR is great stuff, it might cost a bit but you'll eventually use it all up on one thing or another, it wont go to waste.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Aweasel

you could send that **** rusty as he'll to jethot and you'll get a nice sterling ceramic coated header inside and out back.

[quote]

ummmmm..... ya..????? what he said

Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 AM

^^^ whooops... lol

Old 10-30-2008, 01:42 AM

You could always sandblast it, if ya have an air compressor there's an attachment for it that'll do the job. Just do it out in the yard so ya don't get sand all over the driveway.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:47 AM

how much is the attachment/ sand for sandblasting
i wonder how much it would cost to get someone to sandblast it for me

Old 10-30-2008, 01:48 AM

Well if ya got any friends that have well-equipped garages you might be able to get em do to it for some beers :P My brother bought an attachment for sandblasting at a yard sale along with about 6 or 7 others for $5.. I dunno how much it is. Lets get rider0033 in here to pull a harbor freight coupon for ya

Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 AM

LOL no thread is complete without one, i might mossey on over there and see how much the attachment would cost

Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 AM

did a little searching for ya. found this: http://www.theruststore.com/

Also found some homemade recipes.
Rust Remover Recipe I INGREDIENTS [ul][*]White vinegar[*]Water[/ul] PREPARATION 1. Apply undiluted white vinegar to the rust by spraying or dabbing it on (if the object is large), or by submerging the rusted object in vinegar (if the object is small). 2. Allow the vinegar to soak in for 30 minutes. Then, rinse the object off; and dry thoroughly. 3. Repeat the process, if rust remains. Rust Remover Recipe II INGREDIENTS [ul][*]Borax[*]Lemon juice[/ul] PREPARATION 1. Mix together equal parts Borax and lemon juice. 2. Apply the resulting solution to the rust by spraying or dabbing it on (if the object is large), or by submerging the object in a bath of the solution (if the object is small). 3. Allow the solution to soak in for 30 minutes. Then, rinse the object off; and dry thoroughly. 4. Repeat the process, if rust remains. Benefits of Making Your Own Rust Removers [ul][*]inexpensive[*]fast-acting[*]no harsh chemicals or fumes[/ul] Tips and Warnings 1) Objects may appear black after being soaked in vinegar or lemon juice, but should return to their original color after being rinsed in water. 2) Borax sells under the name 20 Mule Team, and can be found on the laundry aisle. 3) Keep vinegar and Borax out of the reach of children and pets 4) Do not reuse spray bottles that have contained other chemicals

good luck mang

Quick Reply: what removes rust?