Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What kind of work do you guys do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What kind of work do you guys do?

fireman for the city of los angeles

Old 11-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Full time student, going for mechanical engineering degree, and I work at Atkins and Pearce. We are the largest producer of candlewick, also make nylon rope, braided fiberglass and monofilament sleeving along with other odds and ends. (Fiberglass SUCKS to work around all day.)

I have about 2 more years worth of school, then i hope to either start my own business or try to get in with an automotive or motorcycle manufacture since that is what i'm interested in.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 PM

Im a full time aerospace engineering student at the university of arizona. im tired of doing math though so i think im going to switch over to the buisness school. for the workin part, i have this nice little gig (read: hang out all day with cool peeps, and get a fat discount on goodies for my bike) where i sell parts and stuff at a bike shop.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U.S. MARINE...RIFLE RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Old 11-29-2005, 07:37 PM

I'm full time student working on a degree in biology

Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 PM

Lots of students.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 PM

LOL I got you all beat, my jobs the best hahahahah. Im savin money so i can move to my bros in Idaho, right next to Boise (mountain home, its got an airbase if ne one is curious) But.... drumrolll........

I FEED COWS!! yaaayyyy. lol. I drive around in a modified semi-truck with a huge box in the back with augers and a big mixing wheel. I pull up to pens and drive down them while the feed comes out the side. Its more complicated than it sounds, and you have to be REALLY good at backing up. I also help run a mill. We "roll" corn, essentially taking the corn from the cob and turning the kernels into flat pieces of flake so that the cows can get all the protien and nutrients out of them much easier. I also fix stuff that breaks (soooo much can break/need cleaning out there) My hours in the summer arent so bad... go in at 5, get out at 4 or 5 with an hour lunch. (edit: I forgot to add that we work 6 days, and then get 2 days off.) When we pick up on the number of cows, usually fall-early summer, then the hours get longer and longer. right now its decent, getting about 140 hours on a paycheck (2 weeks). at the height will probably be getting close to 160 hours a paycheck,(yes, that IS 80 hours a week) and its all run off of agriculture, meaning no overtime, just a straight 7.25 an hour, no matter what im doing or how long im doing it. so... yay... and on top of it all, i smell like p000 for several hours hahahaha

take it easy, and very good thread, nice to know what people do...you know, just in case i need a good lawyer or a hook-up of some sorts hahahah.

cya, Chris

Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: El Magico

I'm still in school... so, I'm thinking of finishing with security and I have not even touched it yet, I'd like to get into web page design and maintenance. Those seem to be the marketable ones.
You'll probably get more technical training than me, since my degree is business administration with an emphasis in information systems. So its more geared toward the business side of things and how technology can be applied. I'm sure you'd have your plate full if you do get into security.
such a useable degree!!! my engineering and management background help so much running my own business (gotta wear a lot of hats)...the technology gives me an edge on the rest of the old school peeps around here....you can go anywhere with that!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: chillin

Im a full time aerospace engineering student at the university of arizona. im tired of doing math though so i think im going to switch over to the buisness school. for the workin part, i have this nice little gig (read: hang out all day with cool peeps, and get a fat discount on goodies for my bike) where i sell parts and stuff at a bike shop.
dude...that was what I started out in school doing...crazy

Old 11-30-2005, 01:37 AM

quote: cjbettis
such a useable degree!!! my engineering and management background help so much running my own business (gotta wear a lot of hats)...the technology gives me an edge on the rest of the old school peeps around here....you can go anywhere with that!
Yeah there definately are alot of opportunities with this type of degree, and alot of opportunities for growth, but since it is both business and technology related its very competitive. All the good jobs want like 3-5 years experience, which I don't have yet. So the the main thing is to get my foot in the door. Hint, hint, anyone? Not that my present job is bad, but its not exactly aligned with my career path.

Quick Reply: What kind of work do you guys do?