Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

what kind of bike should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of bike should i get?

so i want to buy a bike this summer as my first bike but i only have a budget of about 2000 for the bike alone

i have ridden my friends R1 before and i do not want to get a 250 as my first bike

i am not a daredevil and am mature enough to handle a 600 right away, i just dont want to get a 250 and get bored and have to upgrade in a few years

do you guys have any recommendations for bikes in my price range?

i love the F4 and F4is but im afraid they are a bit out of my price range, i also like hondas a lot, but if i could find a cheaper bike of a different make, what would you guys suggest?

thanks for the help!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

f3 was my first bike, it was a blast

Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Default my 02.

2000.00 usd can buy alot of bike. Theres 2 aspects to this reply
A) Your new bike
B) Your skill level

My rule of thumb when purchasing a bike or a car for that matter is 500.00 to fix the things you dont see and an addl 20% of the purch price for the things you do.. If you buy a bike from a dealer they're usually gone thru except for the as-is stuff. From a civilian, service records are key. A forum brother or sister usually sleeps at night so to me, thats a great bet... Im going to take for granted you want a Honda

The skill level.. Even if you are EXPERIENCED on a auto clutch, a bike while similar is way different. Also just the dynamics of a bike are way different and things can go south really really fast.. Alot of us went from nothing to big time really fast.. My 02 (dont throw shoes ok) I love the Nighthawk 650 and 750 from years past... SOMEWHERE in here is a list of all bikes and what is recommended by level.. Good luck and look forward to seeing you around with your CBR (we all know your getting one...)

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $2000 you can get a pre-2008 Ninja 250r, a Ninja 500r, or a Suzuki GS500. The CBR 250 is only a couple years old so you won't find one at your price. If you're lucky, you might find a 2008 or later 250r, which has nicer styling and larger wheels. If you absolutely insist on an I4 600, look for an older, steel framed, carbed one like a CBR F2 or F3, or Yamaha YZF600R.

If you get bored quickly with a 250, you're doing it wrong. Try taking it through some turns, not just going in a straight line.

A motorcycle doesn't give a rat's *** how mature you are or how much you 'respect' it. It is a machine that responds to operator inputs. THAT'S ALL. An untrained rider simply doesn't have the touch or experience to operate a race bike, which is what a 600 SS is. Its throttle, brakes, and steering respond very aggressively to your inputs, and you can be in trouble before you know it. Chop the throttle or grab a fistful of brake in a turn, and you can lose the front end. Get on the throttle too hard when you're leaned over, you can lose the back end. Target fixate, and you can get from Point A to Point B faster than you can recover.

Sure, plenty of people start on a 600 and think they 'did fine.' If you define doing fine as surviving, then OK. But if you want to be a good rider, and not just someone who rides a good bike, you will develop your riding skills faster on a bike that allows you to explore things like traction, lean angle, braking and throttle roll on, and weight distribution without tossing you on the pavement when you inevitably get things wrong. You can only get better by pushing out toward your limits. You want a bike that lets you do that without pushing back. If you're afraid of the bike or unfamiliar with its capabilities, you'll be too tight and nervous to learn.

There's a reason the world's best riders didn't start out on a MotoGP bike. They serve a long apprenticeship on 125s, 250s, and smaller before they get a seat on a big bike. It's the same learning curve for you as it was for Jorge Lorenzo, and it's very unlikely you can take shortcuts that he didn't. If I'm wrong, and you're that special, I expect to see you on the podium by this time next season.

And as far as your budget, call around to get an idea of how insurance rates for a 600 compare with for a 250 or 500. That might affect your decision.

Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by Munson; 05-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM

woops computer was lagging, double post

Last edited by jjstandardz; 05-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Munson
For $2000 you can get a pre-2008 Ninja 250r, a Ninja 500r, or a Suzuki GS500. The CBR 250 is only a couple years old so you won't find one at your price. If you're lucky, you might find a 2008 or later 250r, which has nicer styling and larger wheels. If you absolutely insist on an I4 600, look for an older, steel framed, carbed one like a CBR F2 or F3, or Yamaha YZF600R.

If you get bored quickly with a 250, you're doing it wrong. Try taking it through some turns, not just going in a straight line.

A motorcycle doesn't give a rat's *** how mature you are or how much you 'respect' it. It is a machine that responds to operator inputs. THAT'S ALL. An untrained rider simply doesn't have the touch or experience to operate a race bike, which is what a 600 SS is. Its throttle, brakes, and steering respond very aggressively to your inputs, and you can be in trouble before you know it. Chop the throttle or grab a fistful of brake in a turn, and you can lose the front end. Get on the throttle too hard when you're leaned over, you can lose the back end. Target fixate, and you can get from Point A to Point B faster than you can recover.

Sure, plenty of people start on a 600 and think they 'did fine.' If you define doing fine as surviving, then OK. But if you want to be a good rider, and not just someone who rides a good bike, you will develop your riding skills faster on a bike that allows you to explore things like traction, lean angle, braking and throttle roll on, and weight distribution without tossing you on the pavement when you inevitably get things wrong. You can only get better by pushing out toward your limits. You want a bike that lets you do that without pushing back. If you're afraid of the bike or unfamiliar with its capabilities, you'll be too tight and nervous to learn.

There's a reason the world's best riders didn't start out on a MotoGP bike. They serve a long apprenticeship on 125s, 250s, and smaller before they get a seat on a big bike. It's the same learning curve for you as it was for Jorge Lorenzo, and it's very unlikely you can take shortcuts that he didn't. If I'm wrong, and you're that special, I expect to see you on the podium by this time next season.

And as far as your budget, call around to get an idea of how insurance rates for a 600 compare with for a 250 or 500. That might affect your decision.

Good luck and ride safe.
Thanks for the advice!
By mature i meant that i am not buying a bike to do stupid things and i want to learn to be a good rider before i even think about driving in a big city or heavy traffic. That being said i graduate from college in December so it would be possible to maybe start with a 250 and then upgrade later when i am actually making good money if i decide i need to.

And yes insurance will be much nicer on a 250, as well as gas mileage and having the safety in mind of buying a newer bike for my budget.

I also live in North Dakota so the riding season is pretty limited, but it would still be worth it. The other problem about living here is the limited amount of bikes for sale, there are very few bikes for sale around here so i would probably have to drive to Minneapolis to find a favorable deal, and that would mean that i would have to drive the bike home in heavy traffic and my GF would have to drive my mustang(and she just learned how to drive manual) not sure which makes me more nervous haha

Originally Posted by Kebo62
2000.00 usd can buy alot of bike. Theres 2 aspects to this reply
A) Your new bike
B) Your skill level

My rule of thumb when purchasing a bike or a car for that matter is 500.00 to fix the things you dont see and an addl 20% of the purch price for the things you do.. If you buy a bike from a dealer they're usually gone thru except for the as-is stuff. From a civilian, service records are key. A forum brother or sister usually sleeps at night so to me, thats a great bet... Im going to take for granted you want a Honda

The skill level.. Even if you are EXPERIENCED on a auto clutch, a bike while similar is way different. Also just the dynamics of a bike are way different and things can go south really really fast.. Alot of us went from nothing to big time really fast.. My 02 (dont throw shoes ok) I love the Nighthawk 650 and 750 from years past... SOMEWHERE in here is a list of all bikes and what is recommended by level.. Good luck and look forward to seeing you around with your CBR (we all know your getting one...)

thanks for the help! i will be careful of what i buy used.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Default Hey JJ

There are deals out there... I just bought a Hurricane 1000 for 2200.00 but put some dough into it.. Be patient and ittl pay off..

Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kebo62
There are deals out there... I just bought a Hurricane 1000 for 2200.00 but put some dough into it.. Be patient and ittl pay off..
true im sure by the end of this summer people will be selling them cheaper before winter

i like the idea of the ninjas but they are so ugly!!! they look boxy and have that big single headlight up front

i love the look of the CBRS

their so much more streamlined and i love the look of the two headlights up front they look mean

does anybody know the years of the honda 250s? maybe i will look for one of those

Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 PM

I love this question....buy what feels good between your legs....DUH!

I started on a 250 - moved up after 1600 miles. My buddy, who is like 6'2," just bought a 250R for the track. He loves it....

Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 PM

i paid 2k for my 96 cbr1000f. awesome bike. tons of power and its pretty heavy so it does fine on the highway.

Quick Reply: what kind of bike should i get?