Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What is the holdup on fixing the forums?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the holdup on fixing the forums?!?

Based on the severe lack of maintenance and even administration acknowledgements, I fail to see how that contribution would be put to good use.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't complain about free then can you?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
July 2008 ROTM

A forum is only as good as its community. Without people like me and you, this place would be nothing. As a web designer and community enthusiast who has tried on numerous occasions to build a popular and reputable forum community, I know what goes into stuff like this.

If I was running this place, and was able to see first-hand the popularity and incredible community that I had helped create, keeping the website and software up-to-date and running immaculately would be my top priority.

Also, the minimal costs to upgrade the software are NOTHING compared to the ad revenue that's most likely brought in by the AdSense, eBay, affiliates, and other campaigns that are plastered all over this site and more often than not slow down its loading time.

So no; I can't complain about free stuff. But you'd think the people who maintain this website out of respect for their community and in the interest of keeping users coming to the site in order to maintain their revenue would have fixing the website at the top of their to-do list. And I'm not alone in this, so I'd appreciate not being singled out. There are plenty of other non-contributor members making far worse comments.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

I second Aken...contributor or not, we all are members of this community, and if nobody is getting paid to keep this place in working order, then shame on them for not being able to properly maximize the ad revenue potential that a place with this many members can create. This isn't a demand to fix this site by any means, but more of a cry out by members that we're tired of it and simply want answers...in 21 posts since I made this thread, I still haven't seen a single answer yet. Okay, so other sites are affected. WHY?!?!?! WTF happened to begin with and who's fault is it? Also, what can we, as members, do to help get this place in working order?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All I know is this. The site I help run n host doesnt have these issues and we dont have ads and have only a few vendors and we stay on top of our shyt. So I would expect the same from here or any other site that values what really makes or breaks a site, ITS MEMBERS. Contributors are nice, but their donated dollars dont really go far in reality so that card dont play with me. Please fix this site and stop blowing smoke up our *** like we all dont know shyt.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel your pain dudes ... it'd be real nice if the punctuation and long posts and polls were working 100%. It is better now than it was a couple weeks ago. There is no conspiracy and no one on the staff thinks the general membership is stupid. As to demanding answers ... there really isn't a concrete reason that I've been given (and I've been in touch with higher ups at several affected sites). I can tell you that another site I'm on lost tons of data over a 2 month period and is still going down a couple times a day. When they're up they don't have the strange posting issues we have here and the thumbnails work ... but uptime reliability is iffy.

We value each of our members here not as a money making venture but as a community of people spread over the world with a common interest in CBR's and motorcycling in general. We appreciate your patience so far and ask that you continue to be patient until we get all the bugs worked out. I have been promised upgrades but haven't been able to nail down when.

I'll let you know details as soon as I know.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 PM

oOoOoOoOo Aken snapped! lol. But i too also agree with him. Ive seen him try to start a couple forums, they were really good IMO.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

ORIGINAL: Aken

Seriously, it's like $160 for a vBulletin license. Let's go.
Helloooo??? ... McFly???? ...
AKEN is not too far off from the actual price of v bulletin software. However it is the support and upgrades after the first year, that is the expensive part. It can be leased for $100, or purchased for $180

Must also agree with X. the moderators control panel is pretty damn user-friendly and the super moderator can almost runa forum without the aid of administrator

http://www.vbulletin.com/product_detail.php#license

Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

when we know something you will know something.. we mods/admins are effected just as much as the rest of you and no we dont have a red phone that lets us talk directly to the powers above. we can understand your frustrations (the administration has experienced your same problems and dilemas) but complaining about it doesnt help it get fixed any faster. if you feel as though you must protest then by all means it's your right because we still believe in keeping our members happy and providing the best POSSIBLE service we will. currently it isn't as possible to snap our fingers and make it go back to the way it used to be.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

ORIGINAL: Aken

Seriously, it's like $160 for a vBulletin license. Let's go.
Helloooo??? ... McFly???? ...
AKEN is not too far off from the actual price of v bulletin software. However it is the support and upgrades after the first year, that is the expensive part. It can be leased for $100, or purchased for $180

Must also agree with X. the moderators control panel is pretty damn user-friendly and the super moderator can almost run a forum without the aid of administrator

http://www.vbulletin.com/product_detail.php#license

Still, that's not expensive at all! I always imagined it would cost much, much more.

Quick Reply: What is the holdup on fixing the forums?!?