Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

what gives with new riders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what gives with new riders?

Got a buddy at work who just bought an R6, zero experience, but wanted the latest and greatest, you know how the story goes....anyway, he lives in the barracks and was comming up on a deployment. Anyway, dude runs with a bunch of punk friends that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them, so I tell him, you can store your bike in my garage if you want, I'm not going anywhere, it'll be safe, I'll keep it clean and lubed, ride it around the block every other week, keep a battery tender on it and such. I dunno, I like bikes, and I like to help people out, I'll give my shirt off my back to someone that needs it, so I kinda dig getting to help folks with thier ride cause I know how I am with my bike. I kept a buddies Ducatti for 9mo, polished and maintained for him cause he was out of town. Anyway, I offer him this, but he has plans to leave it with a buddies cousin in cali who knows a guy...........well, gets it back, a couple thousand miles more on it, dirty, chain rusted ect.....hes pissed, has it on a trailer and he doesn't know what to do. He lives in the barracks and has no place to work on it, and its raining every damn day up here. I tell him, drive it over to my place so you got a place to work on it, I got all the stands, gear, lubes and cleaners to give it a good once over, no charge, just do whats right and get your bike in shape before you go jammin round town. He says, well its on a trailer and the dude who had it took off with my gear.....OMG WTF, OK, so I'll drive it to my place, well.....I dunno, I gotta get.......What my point is, is that this dude just needs his bike cleaned up, lubed, oil changed, just some TLC, he was gonna take it to the stealer for like 200 for a checkover, I offered it for free just cause hes an alright guy and I like bikes and helping bikers. If I had someone willing to help me out and cut me a break I'd jump on it, I dunno, is this kid just an idiot or doesn't care about his ride? I got a good reputation round here as a carefull guy, attention to detail who keeps his ride tip-top and is safe, lots of riders come to me for my .02, not that I'm special, but just someone that rides year round up here which is far and few between. Dunno why I'm venting here, just thought it all to be a big WTF kinda thing, tryin to help a dude out and all.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Default RE: what gives with new riders?

Yeah... that's some bogus stuff right there! For me personally, it's hard for me to get my foot in the door, so to speak, in getting someone to trust me to do things to there precious motorcycle (regardless of tools, experience, etc). Only when someones a friend or if they're in a real jam and get over the initial distrust have I found out that they start trusting you...

This guy seems like a flake anyways... I'd let it brush off your back and not worry about it.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Thats funny.. i was at the dealership dropping my Rizoma stuff off and the guy who sold it to me looked at me on the way out and said "is this your first motorcycle man?" i didnt laugh or anything sarcastic.. i just looked at him and said nope, its my 4th. F4, F4i, 04 600RR, and now 07 600RR...

He looked relieved to know he didnt sell a plastic coffin to someone.. lol.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 PM

It just seemed to me like looking a gift hourse in the mouth is all. He knows me and has ridden with me before, and came to me for 1st bike buying questions, dude knows he can count on me not to feed him a bunch of BS, Just don't understand why he wouldn't take me up on saving him some money just by being cool, guess he thinks he should pay for everything. Doesn't really bother me, hell, I was helpin the dude out, guess hed rather have it towed and pay the dealer for something he could do himself in my garage. Ehh, to each his own.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Maybe you should've ordered him?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Sounds like the guy needs to learn his lessons the hard way. Don't worry about it. You tried and he didn't want any help.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM

i have to pay the dealership for most of my stuff.. because i travel alot and i live in a hotel.. <way nicer than it sounds.

but i cant have all of my tools.. and i dont have alot of knowledge mechanically regarding motorcycles.. i wish i knew someone who did so i could learn.. its rather interesting to me.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe heis extreemly stubborn or he learned his lesson and he dosn't trust anyone.
But he will learn another lesson, Don't trust the stealership either.

Shocktroop, if it were me, I would trust youwith my bike.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I dunno how well you 2 know each other, but if it were me i would maybe pass up on ya too Shock. The reason being as nice a guy as you are i would not want to over impose on you, and i would try and find someone i knew better. So dont take it as an insult at all, maybe he just respects you that much to not want to impose.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: kodiak1122

Maybe heis extreemly stubborn or he learned his lesson and he dosn't trust anyone.
But he will learn another lesson, Don't trust the stealership either.

Shocktroop, if it were me, I would trust youwith my bike.
Thanks man! Means allot, lol, I'm not trying to do a frame off resto, just get the dude on the road on a clean, serviced bike so hes not doing any damage or anything thats gonna cost him down the road. I hate seeing guys on bikes that the damn chain hasn't been adjusted or lubed, or need brakes done so on, and they don't do it cause they either don't know how or can't afford it, so I'm like hey man, if you want that done, I'll help you out and show you how, so you know, and don't have to pay $$$$ for something simple, but they just go on their merry way....amazes me I guess is all.

Quick Reply: what gives with new riders?