CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   What DO YOU do for a living ??? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/what-do-you-do-living-137808/)

zaqwert6 05-08-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1157819)
I'm a trim carpenter, strictly commercial. All of the wood in those fancy hotel/bank/colleges?
...that's me. I deal in 64ths...a 1/6" means I blew the cut. Everything is pre-finished,
so there's no sanding it in. It's either right or it's wrong.

Used to trim high-end houses/residential. I talking a little house was 4500 sq ft.
Mostly eight to ten thousand (and up) and in the $750k+ market.

Before that put in about 8-10 years in cabinet shops.

So I'm basically a wood-stud. If you can picture it,
I can build it. From a jewelry box to a 5-story lobby.

Ern

I did trim work for quite a while when I was younger. Then custom cabinets and fine furniture.

Perspective is a funny thing , I remember 64ths. Now I deal in thou of an inch , 64ths means I screwed up hard.

;)

NateDieselF4i 05-08-2012 06:38 PM

I too, do a lot of Trim work.

As often as I can.

CTcbr929 05-08-2012 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1157819)
I'm a trim carpenter, strictly commercial. All of the wood in those fancy hotel/bank/colleges?
...that's me. I deal in 64ths...a 1/6" means I blew the cut. Everything is pre-finished,
so there's no sanding it in. It's either right or it's wrong.

Used to trim high-end houses/residential. I talking a little house was 4500 sq ft.
Mostly eight to ten thousand (and up) and in the $750k+ market.

Before that put in about 8-10 years in cabinet shops.

So I'm basically a wood-stud. If you can picture it,
I can build it. From a jewelry box to a 5-story lobby.

Ern

Interesting.

Fancy Hotels huh? Thats my industry.. Tourism and Hospitality, specifically the Hotel Industry.

I just got offered a job in Atlantic City, New Jersey, but had to turn it down. Went down there twice but its just not going to work out for me.

The tourism industry is one of the biggest in America, and the world. Think for a second, just how many commercials you see on TV advertising hotels and travel sites, all the business people traveling, and of course, leisure travel and vacations from all the hard work people put in.

74demon 05-08-2012 07:04 PM

auto mechanic. been doing it professionally for 25 years. ASE certified master tech. work on bikes as a hobby (could do it professionally, but then i wouldn't enjoy it :) ). used to build and mod harleys at night for fun, but now i just work on them (any bike really) for friends.

Ultimeas 05-08-2012 07:23 PM

Work maintenance at a school downtown. Basically glorified janitors. Thats my bread-winner full time job.

I also work part time mechanic.

Worked both jobs for years, and until recently, worked 60-70 hours a week.

And 74demon, Im assuming you like it, but cars are all pieces of !@#$% to work on.

74demon 05-08-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ultimeas (Post 1157862)
And 74demon, Im assuming you like it, but cars are all pieces of !@#$% to work on.

it pays the bills and i dont need to wear a tie. i like fixing stuff, so thats a plus!

tchyclutch7 05-08-2012 07:42 PM

I manage I pizza shop near Philly. I get paid a lot for no overtime, benefits, and have to deal with a bunch of snotty 16 yr old lazy kid attitudes! Been doing it for ten years so I'm looking to leave as soon as I can find a job where I can make the same or more without a college degree( not that having one really matters with the economy) but I have a job lined up as a gaurd in a nuclear plant just have to wait for it to start a training class. I feel so out of place in this thread lol I'm a pizza man

cj51974 05-08-2012 07:43 PM

I work for the U.S. Army in Public Information. After doing it for year, I am still not sure what I do but its a ton of special projects.

toobored 05-08-2012 08:39 PM

Hey @Classic (threadmaker) it was refreshing to read from someone with a passion for their trade. As a tradesman myself, I can appreciate it. I love what I do! I install, maintain, and service low-volt systems: fire alarm, security, card access, etc. I've loved it since day 1. I take pride on it. I enjoy pointing out buildings to my kids knowing that the work I did was competent, complete, and trustworthy! I admit that some days are a grind, but the majority are great!

I'm 43, a husband, father of 2, and a proud F3 owner! =D

Trey929RR 05-08-2012 09:47 PM

I am a professional ****. When I’m being sarcastic and say I’m just joking, I’m actually not. I'm just joking guys,:icon_look: I work for my Uncle. I get great benefits, waste taxpayers money, shoot **** on a weekly basis, teach turds how to shoot and defend themselves and do a little LE work in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COWg1rN7PrE