Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

what do you consider TOO cold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what do you consider TOO cold?

i was just curious what people on here considered TOO cold to ride. i know some of you guys farther south, and out west have said that low 60's/high 50's is pretty chilly! Also, what are you wearing thats making you say "eh, its not too cold"? where do you draw the line for temps?

i've been out in 27deg. and honestly can say that i wasnt all that cold, i was cozy! i had on work pants (like dickies), t-shirt, textile coat (w/ fleece liner), my work coat overtop, and a balaclava...oh, and leather gloves. i think if i get myself some cold weather riding gloves......i'll see how far through the cold MD winter i can make it. my hands are the only things to begin to get a bit chilly. aslong as i stay tucked low......im pretty damn warm!

what do you consider TOO cold?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what do you consider TOO cold?

Depends on my mood now if i ride or not. Some days ill ride when it's 32 and others i wont. I wear a hoodie over my leather jacket and a few tshirts and im still FREEZING it sucks. lol. I wont ride below freezing though its my first season im not comfortable on cold tires it feels different. Maybe its my mind cause im so cold haha. I have some joe rocket pullover pants i wear jeans under too, and nice winter riding gloves, still cold.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuze, its my 1st time in the winter weather aswell. i find that if i put the passanger pegs down and tuck as low as i can, its not bad at all! what brand of gloves are those you are using? i think if i get some good winter gloves, i'll be SET!

the tire thing isnt bothering me one bit. i dont really notice a difference.......but at the same time, im not trying to see how far over i can get the bike. i know the tires arent warming up in these temps, so i stay away from windy back roads and stick to open road cruising in these temps.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM

Name:  gloves.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  72.4 KB
usually the black fluffy ones lol. If i wear this mask thing that has eye and mouth holes and covers my neck the cold is bearable but it makes it harder to look around so usually dont wear it.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Cold isnt the problem. Rain/sleet/ice/snow are the problems. Cold doesnt bother me, its riding a bike and then all of a sudden you're sliding on the ground.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 PM

I agree. I'll ride as long as there isn't any snow/ice, etc. on the roads. If I'm out and it starts snowing or whatever, so be it...I just suck it up and head back home.

I wear thermals, neck protector, etc., so I stay pretty warm. I love using "Hot Hands". I have the Speedmaster gloves and they "fit" right up in the knuckle area, I'll throw some in the pockets of my jacket/pants...they even make larger ones, roughly the size of your hand, that I'll use a safety pin to hold it up around my neck area/upper chest, hmmm, oh yeah, throw some in the boots to keep your toes warm.

During the late Winter, I'll throw her up for a couple of weeks or more so that I can start preping it for Spring (oil change, spark plugs, coolant, lube cables, etc.)...

Just be extra careful out there during the cooler days! The tires don't stick as well, people aren't used to seeing bikes during the Winter time so they're not as cautious, there are alot more Bambi's running around and so on.

Enjoy the ride(s)!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 PM

Depends on my mod..SInce i have a 45 mile commute to work(one way). .I flip a coin on days that are below 35 but above 32 .Esp if the highs are gonna be 50+ in the afternoon.Below 32 im in my cage(if im going to work) around town im on the bike..

I wear my leathers,gaunlet leather gloves(couple different pair,which one depends on the temp),neck protector ,thermal underwear,and my JR sonic boots and im good for the trip out in the cold.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well this will be my first actual 'winter', lol. So we'll see how low I can go. So far the lowest I've ridden was 30 actual, felt like 24. It's been in the 30's at night almost all this week and some of last, and I've been riding to work at 7am everyday without a prob. Really not that bad, only thing that gets cold really is my fingertips. I gotta get some better gloves though, I really don't have any warm stuff. Other than that, I wear my leather suit, thermals, a fleece sweater, and my work uniform underneath. Oh and a balaclava too which works wonders, but my chin does still get a lil chilly

Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 PM

50 is too cold.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 PM

If I had some better gloves it wouldnt be so bad, But 30's at night and a n hour ride home from work my hands are frozen, I wear a balcava and that really helps my neck and nose from getting cold. I usually wear pants and some type of thick sweatpants under neath and my legs are fine.

I was thinking of getting some thick leather drivng gloves(like you see old people wear ) they are insulated my mesh/leather just let the cold right in

Quick Reply: what do you consider TOO cold?