Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What to do with my gear??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do with my gear??

I've got a few days + MSF experience into riding a motorcycle, but I've always just come back home when I'm done. I'm wanting to start riding to work and maybe to the store.

What do you guys do with your gear? Do you take it off when you get off the bike or wait till your in your office? (Obviously you wouldn't want to be walking around with your helmet still on.)

If the store has a buggy/cart, obviously you just stick the gear in it, but what if the place doesn't have one? Do you just wear it? I wouldn't imagine just leaving it on the bike would be all that smart.

Also, what should I do for storage? Tank bags, seat bags, backpacks? What should I get for my F2?

Any good write-ups about all this that someone could link me too would be great, but I'd like to hear everyones opinion on what they do with their gear(links to threads with this info works too ).

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Default Rockin my gear

Honestly, I rock my gear, the gloves, and blacava(cause I wear one) go inside the helmet. I keep my coat on and do what I have to do in the store, I dont usually do serious shopping so its in and out. If I plan on staying a bit, i put my jacket in my back pack, and I still carry the helmet. (dont trust it on the bike) Also, Im in the mil, so as soon as I get off my bike I get in uniform, and dont gear up till I get to my bike when im off. But I would never leave my stuff out unless you know the area, or you can see it from where your at. No saddle bags, they dont belong on street bikes

In the end do what makes you comfortable, just remember to secure your gear and ride safe, never sacrafice ppe for looking "cool". A decent backpack usually is enough to store whatever.

Best of luck to you bra!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Welcome.. and what what part of Houston. I am originally from College Station and would ride to Houston all the time through "The Forest" and Montgomery.

Now to topic at hand...@ work... I take my helmet off and start taking my gloves off and jacket as I am walking in, then my pants, but I don't wear riding pants, so someone always has to remind me of the "work dress code" where pants are not optional.

@ store... I leave my jacket on and throw my gloves in my helmet and hand carry helmet or place in buggy(if applicable).

what are you looking to store?? Your gear, a midget as a tip calculator, wet weather gear. You can go for a backpack, but you will end up lugging the crap around anyways. Tank bag/"saddle bags" work well for leaving gear at your motorcycle (secured) but I have no experience with that fu-fu stuff. Sorry for the let down.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 AM

For a quick trip in the store, I usually carry my helmet and stick the gloves in that, and wear my jacket. If I meet my wife at a restaurant or somewhere, I have a pad lock on my 12 o'clock bar, i just run my d-ring into the padlock and lock it up. I once used a 6' coiled bike lock cable for my jacket. Ran it through the arms and locked it to my twelve o'clock bar. I was at a concert and no one messed with the jacket or the helmet.

I don't use saddle bags, so I usually carry a back pack if I have stuff I need to lug along. I do have a small tank bag, for small misc stuff, phone, ipod, and anything else small I may need on longer trips. Like when I ride to NY, I throw my wallet, extra keys, stuff like that in it. And when I get tired of wearing the back pack, I usually put it on the passenger seat with the bungee cargo nets they make. I prefer the back pack look over saddle bags on a street bike anyday. I usually don't mind the backpack.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Sounds like a backpack is the way to go. I probably won;t be doing long trips, but I'd like to have my wet weather gear with me just in case. you never know with houston weather.

So......what kind of backpack should I get? Any brand to look at? Any brand to avoid? I'd like something that'll be comfortable and water proof, but also safe to wear on a bike.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i usually carry my helmet, bring/wear my jacket, and leave the gloves in the trunk. i dont trust people to leave my stuff alone. punka$$es will cut your helmet right off the lock because then can and so you will have a bad day.

i dont mind people seeing my gear and knowing that i ride that really fast bike parked outside. ever see the look in a kids eyes when they look at you with your gear? you are their hero and the coolest person theyve ever seen! they cant take their eyes off of your helmet.

i never wear a backpack. if im going somewhere that requires bringing home more than i can put in the bike on in my pockets, i take the car. that works to my advantage, because if i take the bike to the store for 1 item, pretty much guaranteed i come home with only that item. i only take the bike to costco for a hotdog, lol.

if im meeting people somewhere, i will put my gear in their car.
i wont go ride the bike in the rain, so i dont have rain gear. but if im out and get caught in the rain, usually headed home, i just ride and get wet. clean up and dry off when i get there. i have been caught in rain, hail, floods, and all at the same time before. i dont stress on getting wet, but put all of my attention on keeping the wheels down.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Get a good size backpack.
2. Helmet lock onto the bike. I suggest get 2 helmets, one dot approved but cheaper in cost for daily use, one expensive one for weekend riding. Only lock your cheap helmet with the bike cause those are easy to steal.

3. Work dress code? If no dress code, there are some riding pant (I like iCon) that looks like regular denim. You can ride and work...

4. Ride Jacket- leather can get bulky, so jacket goes into your backpack....gloves are easy.

When parking at store, work, or any public business....don't be shy to park where you would park a bicycle. I usaully park right on the side of front door of supermarket. Rarely do I use a parking space, unless the space is right in front of store. Park where easy to view of your bike.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Ogio no drag backpack. love mine. Even has a hood to hold your helmet on the back if you so wanted.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's sweet looking backpack! How much? Not cheap...

Last edited by gotcbr; 03-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: What to do with my gear??