Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 11:56 PM
|
Default What do i do?

So i used to ride with guy is selling his bike. Thing is he rounded a corner and ended up laying it down to avoid hitting the back of a dump truck head and it did some damage to the bike about 4-5 months ago. It had a crash cage on it but it was a good 30-40mph crash and it was leaking some fluids(slight radiator fluid, and some gas and oil). There was no damage to the case covers though.

Well i found his ad on craigslist and in it he states it was only slightly dropped once. I feel like i should call him out to let people know to atleast have a mechanic check the bike out before they buy it.

I know he hasnt ridden it since the wreck because after he recovered from his shoulder injury he went out of state for a few months for work. He has also texted me just to say whats up and when i asked if he had ridden since the accident he said no. I just feel like there could be potential internal damage that he isnt mentioning. What should i do?

Old 01-13-2011 | 12:06 AM

well if he is your friend, you cant really do much. If you dont care what he thinks or says/does then call him out.

As a buyer you are always taking a chance buying a bike that has been down.

Old 01-13-2011 | 12:13 AM

Buyer beware

A trained eye will be able to look it over and see what it needs.
An untrained eye should bring a trained eye with them.
He didn't say it's never been down so I'd say no one is doing anything wrong

Old 01-13-2011 | 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic

You cant save the world man and sticking your nose into someone else's business can bring chit your way that you don't need ...
Ya can't save the world, but one bikers life maybe.. I have to disagree, friend or not, Some new bikers may not know what they are looking for when buying, and may not have an experienced biker to come with them !!

Ive seen what happens when a small crack in a frame gives way, ive lost a friend because of it..

If he's your mate, then he will understand your concerns, but tbh i wouldn't want to know a person who would risk anothers life like that

Old 01-13-2011 | 05:21 AM

I wouldn't call him out on the internet or anything, just let him know you think the bike is worse than he thinks it is. In all honesty, 30 mph slide with a crash cage is not that bad on a bike. If it hit anything, like the truck or curb, then there might be more damage. I think its up to your idea of what bad is. To me, a slide at those speeds is not a bad crash by any means. In reality, your opinion may just differ from his opinion, and he really may not be trying to pull one over on anyone. It really doesn't sound like he his hiding anything to me. I guess you wouldn't really know unless you were part of the conversation between the buyer and seller.

And as already said, it is buyer beware. heck, you run the risk buying a brand new bike that hopefully the pimple faced kid in the back tightened all the bolts on the bike when it was pulled from the crate. Its truly up to the buyer to check over the bike and make a proper inspection. the first thing I do when buying a bike, whether its new or used, is go over everything.

Theres only so much the seller is responsible for and it seems he has already stated it was down. Im sure he will tell the buyer he hasn't ridden since the accident too. The ball is in the buyers court to have the bike checked out, and any rider with common sense, would have it checked.

Old 01-13-2011 | 11:33 AM
|

Yeah i guess your right. It has a crash cage when it went down so alot of the shock was absorbed. I guess i just imagined the damage being so much more because he busted his shoulder, hit the back of a truck, and the city gave him some money. I guess it is buyer beware. Thanks all

Old 01-13-2011 | 11:51 AM

That the black R6 in bossier? (I have a craigslist addiction, I think.)

Yea - looks good in the pics - he wrote 4 paragraphs about the mods, but didn't list an asking price - sounds like he's only wanting to trade for something else.

It's a good example why you never take the P.O.'s word for the condition of a used sportbike.

Old 01-13-2011 | 11:56 AM

most likey the fluids were just from the bike being on its side. If he was injuried and was taken out by ambulance and a wrecker came n got the bike they could of layed it on its side too. A bike layed on its side will leak all of those fluids if left on its side more than a few seconds.

And a lowside esp with sliders or a cage doesnt really do much damage except some rashed fairings, barends, and broke mirrors unless it hit something, or flips.