Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What to do, in case of an emergency?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What to do, in case of an emergency?

I understand Honda CBR's are very reliable but what if someday during your ride, your bike loose power, over heat, flat tire & etc.... You're by yourself?

What would you do? Do you always ride with cell phone? AAA don't tow motorcycle do they? Would you leave your bike exposed in the side of road to walk to nearest gas station?

Reason I ask because I have experience 2X during my ride and then bike lost power. Forgot my cell phone...middle of no where...thank god both time was a easy fix...

It's a nasty feeling...

Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i try not to ride alone on deserted highways.

if the phone is dead, borrow one from a passer by. i would stop for a broken down bike if i was being flagged down. my ramp and tie downs are always in my truck, with the keys at home.

i carry a tire plug kit in the bike. bike tires have a strong enough sidewall to ride slowly to a gas station for air. if a tow truck happens to come by, they have compressed air tanks on board. this has happened to me a number of times and i have seen other bikes with flat tires as well.

my buddy ran out of gas once. we found a 2 liter bottle in the bushes and drained gas from my bike (harleys with easy access fuel lines) and put it into his. now i carry 5' of fuel hose with me to siphon fuel if needed. had to bail out a gsxr once...

flatbed tow trucks will tow bikes. just need to request it when you call.

always carry a flashlight. the little led ones work great. i had a headlight bulb burn out, at night on a canyon road with no lights. i didnt want to run my brights and blind the car in front of me, so i pulled off and switched it with one of my high beams.

the more prepared you are, the less likely that things will happen.

Last edited by 74demon; 01-26-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old F4i has lost power on my 3 times. The first time I was only a block away from my parents house so I was able to push it there. I did have to go up a hill so that sucked. Tore it apart and thought I figured it out. Put it back together and it was great for about 7 months. Then my brother was riding it and as he turned into the golf course it died and would not restart. Had to abandon it and come back the next day with my truck, ramp and straps to get it home. Once again tore it apart, thought I found the answer and put it back together. Ran great for a while until I was riding home from work. I was about 20 miles from home when it lost power again. Luckily it fired right back up and I was able to get it home. Tore it apart and finally I DID figure out the problem, never happened again. The best thing you can do is have technology on your side and that is always keep your cell phone on you and charged. If you forget that you'll just have to survey the situation. If your in the middle of no where I would stay by the bike and try to flag someone down to call for help. If your in the city walk to the nearest gas station or what not and call for help. Here's to hoping it doesn't happen.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I know progressive's roadside assistance does motorcycles.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Thats why I bought a pickup truck. Its first job is to haul my bike if it breaks down, wife has keys and knows the drill.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i carry some tools with me in the trunk.... gotta love hondas (you can almost break the entire bike down with an 8/10/12 mm wrench and 5mm allen head.

if that can't fix it though, i ALWAYS have a cell phone.

but i stop for every broken down biker i see, most cars too... whether i'm in my car or on my bike

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CAA roadside assitance will tow bikes as long as you tell them, then they will just send a flatbed.

74Demon, you must carry a backpack with all your roadside assistance tools lol.

I just have my cell, CAA card and the factory toolkit and I should be good for majority of problems.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjones
CAA roadside assitance will tow bikes as long as you tell them, then they will just send a flatbed.

74Demon, you must carry a backpack with all your roadside assistance tools lol.

I just have my cell, CAA card and the factory toolkit and I should be good for majority of problems.
nope, got a 929! lots of trunk space, but a plug kit and a small roll of fuel hose take up very little space if i pack right. the hose i can slide all the way down and put it on the battery, while the plug kit get wrapped in a rag and zip tied into a small bundle. throw a few extra zips in there just in case too.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM

I have AMA roadside assistance. For the 36 bucks of membership per year with the included magazines, t-shirts, discounts, etc, they also provide FREE roadside as part of the package. This is roadside for BOTH YOUR BIKE AND CAR. Well worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I have a bunch of friends with pickup trucks, and I always have my cell phone on me (minus the rare occasion I'm retarded and forget it at home). That and I have my insurance cards in my wallet, and I'm sure State Farm could help me out in some way if I needed them to (even if it cost me a little bit).

Quick Reply: What to do, in case of an emergency?