Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What is the difference between...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between...

Motorcycle and motorcross boots? Just curious lol, I've been looking to get a pair of boots and was wondering what the differences were

Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Most motocross boots have a steel shank in them to protect the bottom of your feet from jump landings.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of motocross boots are also taller and the toe area is much thicker than street motorcycle boots.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Otherwise they would still provide the same protection?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Are they not recommended for streetbike use?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds to me like you have some sort of deal on getting motocross boots...otherwise i dont see why you wouldnt just get motorcycle boots.

well the motocross boots, as already stated, are much higher on your leg than motorcycle boots. idk if you ever have any intentions on getting track pants w/ knee pucks......but if you go w/ the motocross boots i doubt they will work out w/ the track pants b/c w/ my A* motorcycle boots and my track pants......the boots end only inches below the knee pucks. so if you ever DID get track pants, the motocross boots may rub/bump the knee puck and could be pretty annoying, i'd assume.

if you've got a deal on getting them somehow, i'd get them for whatever great price you're getting them for then sell them maybe a bit higher and then buy yourself some motorcycle boots. of course the motorcross boots will work fine if you ride w/ jeans, but as i said if you have any future intentions on getting track pants i doubt the motocross boots will work in conjuction w/ the pants, properly.

i hope that was helpful.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM

That was very helpful and I appreciate your input! I probably wouldn't get track pants or anything like that because I only use my bike for commuting to work/joyride. I'm looking into getting kevlar jeans. I've been looking at boots and find alot more mx boots that I like as compared to the street ones

Old 03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem, brother. thats what everyone's here for, help/advice.

well, i would still recommend getting the street boots vs. the dirt boots. i would assume there's specific reasons why there arent just 2 wheel boots, and thats why they are catagorized ''street'' and ''dirt''. i would assume street has protection and what not where you will need it for the street where as a dirt boot could be lacking.

not trying to sway your decision, you want what'cha want and its your pocket. just throwing some more advice and opinion out there, chief.

goodluck in your decision and choice. either way, let us know what you go w/ and how you like them.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM

I'm torn lol. I see exactly what you mean, kinda like the whole why put a 17" rim on a 900rr when they came with 16" lol. I can get the boots (O'Neal Element MX) from a friend for 45 bucks. What to do what to do lol

Quick Reply: What is the difference between...