Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well ****E!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well ****E!!!

My #1 guitar has had some issues for about six months, and has been unplayable. There was a bunch of complicated wiring, a mid cut/boost **** (push/pull), standard volume ****, and high tone ****. Basically, there was about 100 miles of wiring in the guitar. Well, I finally had a couple of extra dollars to take it to my local guitar shop, and I told my bro Kurtto rip out all that ****, and just give me a volume and a single tone ****. Keep it simple. I will create tone through my amp and my pedals (and the pick-ups are just the ****). I was also having a problem with the bridge and neckpickup. For those who love Strats, the neck pick-up is where I live. Warm and yummy tone. Very rarely do I play in the bridge position...too much treble.With this guitar, I was ALWAYS playing in the bridge and NEVER in the neck. Turns out theguy who builtthis for me wired the pick-ups backwards. So Kurt fixed all that, dropped my action to where you can hardley breathe underneath the strings (and nodead spots on the neck), and also put some low profile ***** to replace the Tele style ***** I had on there...for free ($10-15 worth of hardware). So, I get the guitar home, and I notice some wicked gouges on thethin sideof the guitarbelow the jack plate. Here is the rub...I think he did the damage to my guitar, but I can't prove it. I have not played it for six months, and I just don'tknow if those gouges were already there. I am SURE I would have noticed them before, and I guess I don't mind...AS LONG AS I MADE THEM!!! I have been going to that music store since I started palying at nine years old. I have been going to that store for 26 years...no bull****. I have been dealing withKurt specifically for the last ten years, and he takes care of me like family.

This was a thread for me to just ramble and rant. I am annoyed, but I will probably not say anything to him. If I did say, "Yougouged my guitar"...I could be wrong, hewouldn'tknowingly lie to me, and it would ruin my good thing withsomeonewho isactually a great guy. All in all, it plays and soundsbetter than when I gave it to him, but it is not as pretty. Nobody will ever really see the part that got hurt while I am playing, unless I was receiving a hummer. I didhave it made, to my specifications, to play it. Beauty was my second concern. I just wish it looked the same as I thought it did when I gave it to him. DAMN!

Name:  scratchedIII.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  ScratchedI.jpg
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  scratchedII.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  ScratchedIV.jpg
Size:  37.0 KB

Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Well ****E!!!

That sucks voodo [:'(]...can you use some touch up paint? If youve known him that long..I doubt he scratched it without telling you

Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the relationship between you, the shop and this individual is what you say it is then you would be remiss in not bringing it up. What do you want to do, take an instrument in for repair again and wonder if it's safe? Do you want to constantly doubt if this individual is trustworthy? Generally you can tell when somebody is lying if you bring up a straight subject, so do so. If they say they didn't do it and you believe it, then you can relax a bit. Maybe something careless happened and you didn't notice when you did it.

Bring it up, just be respectful.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 PM

If the finish is nitro (LOVE nitro cellulose) then it should be fairly easy to repair. If it's poly then some black then super glue to fill then sand to 2000 and polish.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 PM

Oh babe, I'm sorry. That's gotta hurt like crazy. [:@]

...that last picture looks like someone took the corner of a chisel...omg

I don't suppose Buddy has access to your guitar stands...do you see any chips on the floor anywhere?

Call Kurt, or go back and ask him if he knows what happened...I just cannot imagine someone like that committing a workmanship felony and not owning up to it...

Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Dude, I absolutely hate when you find something on your stuff (especially after lending or in for some sort of repairs/maintenance) and then discover damage, but can't place when it happened.

I blamed the car dealership once for denting in the front of my camaro once. I knew I wasn't hit, but the damage was odd...like it was pushed in by something soft. Two weeks later I went to pick up a pizza and my gf at the time told me to take a look...apparently, when I pulled up to the curb, the bottom of the plastic just crosses over the curb..but lightly touches. When I pulled back wards it caused the fiberglass to cave in on itself. Thus the damage was actually cause by me. I felt like crap giving someone else a bad time for something I did.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Oh babe, I'm sorry. That's gotta hurt like crazy. [:@]

...that last picture looks like someone took the corner of a chisel...omg

I don't suppose Buddy has access to your guitar stands...do you see any chips on the floor anywhere?

Call Kurt, or go back and ask him if he knows what happened...I just cannot imagine someone like that committing a workmanship felony and not owning up to it...
Thank you on many levels, Spirit...thanks for calling another man "Babe" (I strive for that freedom on a regular basis ), thanks for mentioning my dog by name (as usual), and thanks for suggesting I can talk to Kurt without worrying about him taking it the wrong way.

If the finish is nitro (LOVE nitro cellulose) then it should be fairly easy to repair. If it's poly then some black then super glue to fill then sand to 2000 and polish.
I had Warmoth make the guitar body and neck. Took about six months to get my order (Ebony fretboardon a Birdseye Maple neckwith stainless steel jumbo frets, and a one piece body from Swamp Ash with the three tone sunburst). I will have to find out how they finish their bodies, and I may have to ask you more about your suggestion. My last guitar was put together by a local guy. I'll bet he could do the work if I wanted to spend the money. He did this:

Name:  Athena.jpg
Size:  79.4 KB

Old 10-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Look on the bright side Voodoo, a buddy of mine lent his Fender Strat to a guy we were friends with at the time, and never saw it (or him) again. Dude was so disgusted with the situation that he still hasn't picked up a guitar (it's been a decade), and regrets it. Now, he was only two years into learning to play at the time of said incident, and he could have picked up another one, but still.

Though that story was almost pointless, you get it. It can always be worse. You could be completely without an instrument. I'm sure the repairs are something you can do yourself, and considering the location on the guitar, a perfect repair isn't necessary. Chill.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Retired Moderator

Why don't you just photoshop it out? [&:]

Sorry voodoo, I feel fer ya .. I had my bike shipped somewhere recently and I didn't notice until later that they cracked the swingarm and did a crappy welding job so I wouldn't notice until later after I paid. [:@]