Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well this is off topic area......car help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well this is off topic area......car help??

The guys on the Infiniti forums are offering no help/advice so far. I know a lot of you guys are also good with cars too so i figured id post up my concerns here too.

Im picking up a Infiniti G20 this week. 1996 with 102k, beat all to hell but mechanically sound. Cant afford the truck anymore and if i do move to florida, i cant afford to take the truck down there so im getting this for better gas mileage. on the trip then would sell it down there.

My question is, what can i do to boost the mpg? If i dont move to florida this will be my every day driver during the winter. IF i move to florida im selling everything except for the 954 and will be riding all year round.

Ive looked at cold air intakes, headers, cams, and timing. This is all under the "go faster" area which i assume will help the gas mileage too but not for sure. There are not any "better mpg" sections on the forums i have joined so far. Will that same stuff help the gas mileage? Are there better ways to go about inproving it? Ive never been concerned with this before and dont really know where to start.

I am somewhat experienced working on cars and have some tech friends that could help with any of the mods so all options are open to me.

any help guys? Mods/Admins sorry if im breaking rules, just slap me and move or delete if needed, Thanks all!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Default RE: Well this is off topic area......car help??

You can save 30% on gas just by your mood. I drove 5 under the speed limit to NYC (600 Miles) 2 months ago and got 37MPG on my mazda 3 (the car is advertised32MPG highway).

Use cruise control except for acceleration. NEVER USE YOUR BRAKES UNLESS YOU HAVE TO! The more you brake, the more gas you burn. Coast as much as possible.

Then there's the usual tune-up stuff. Tire pressure, Clean Air Filter, Fuel injector/filter cleaner, etc etc etc blah blah blah.

Everything else you do to the car is neglegable (according to mythbusters. Yes I saw that episode too).

Old 10-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Yea your right FLYOU, going slower does help, thats one of my biggest problems. Ive been just doing 65 or 55 and not going over and it helps, still only getting like 17 or 18 in the truck, the G20 is rated at 29 so that will be better no matter what. Yea with the brakes lol you have no idea how hard i have tried to explain that to my friends and mom and they dont understand. It drives my dad nuts too so thats one thing i learned as soon as i got my temps.

When i pick it up i will be doing a full synthetic oil change, new spark plugs, air filter, tranny fluid, injector cleaner, coolant, fuel filter. Thats just a typical thing i have done for all of my cars, sisters and parents cars since i turned 15. So according to mythbusters thats about all i can really do eh? i need to check out that episode. I woulda thought there would be something to improve mpg.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 PM

Did you join Nicoclub.com? I joined there when we bought the G35, and didn't think it was all that helpful. I just go there and search, read, and try to learn.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM

i did not but ill join that one too, can never have too many. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 PM

NICO FTW! It's usually where I'm at, but as stated already tune up stuff. Replace the plugs, distributor cap and rotor, maybe even the wires. If you're tring to save money, stay away from the go fast mods, you may want to drive it harder in the end. I would get an older civic with the 1.5 in it for ultimate gas mileage, they get like 40 with mixed driving. Or even a metro with the 3cyl, around 50mpg.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Tune up, fuel filter, proper tire pressure, clean out the throttlebody and intake, seafoam them. Doing some of the *performance* upgrades you mentioned can actually lower your fuel milage.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

Doing some of the *performance* upgrades you mentioned can actually lower your fuel milage.
Yep

Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

Tune up, fuel filter, proper tire pressure, clean out the throttlebody and intake, seafoam them. Doing some of the *performance* upgrades you mentioned can actually lower your fuel milage.
Seafoam! I'd also check to see if your vacuum system is working well. You can seafoam that as well.

I've heard somewhere that if your engine runs hot it gets better gas mileage.. I haven't really looked into it but I have a friend who keeps his engine very hot and swears by it.. I dunno though.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM

The money you spend on parts would take 10's of thousands of miles to pay off.

Quick Reply: Well this is off topic area......car help??