Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well made it past the first 2 Months on my first street bike 954!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well made it past the first 2 Months on my first street bike 954!

Well, I talked to a few people when I first got on here about my first crotch rocket and when I explained that it was a 02 954RR I got very informative and helpfull feedback, as well as much concern and tips about the bike power. Well, I've managed to go a couple months with the bike and here's a few things I learned.

1. It's more capable than me!
2. I wont use the full potential of this bike for many years, even then it willpush past my capabilities.
3. I'll never see the top end......in the next three years, unless on a track....with good gear!
4. Wow...first and second are tough to keep on the ground. D@mn that *** that dropped a tooth on the front sprocket!
5. The 54 isn't your run of the mill bike, and when I seeone I compare the two.
6. Don't put your foot down when you turn like you did when dirt ridin'...yes it hurt, and no I don't now.
7. Your right wrist will kill you, save you, and hate you all in the first month of riding!
8. Other drivers don't see you...even with your brights on!
9. Gravel sucks!!!!!!! No matter how little, (especially in a turn)!
10. DRESS FOR THE CRASH...NOT THE RIDE!

I haven't gone down yet, but I started getting "comfortable" on the 54 and started pushing myself. I almost sped through a corner one day wearing just my uniform and reflective vest. It was then I realized the more comfortable and capable I got...the more gear I needed.

Still alive and riding smart.

wildcard

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Default RE: Well made it past the first 2 Months on my first street bike 954!

Well, good. Just remember, once you think you're good, you're not. And that's when you get hurt.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanks ta, I was really expecting some, "so you've been lucky so far..." type stuff. Really the 954 is the slowest bike ever...with me on it. It scared me ****less at first, and now we're starting to have fun. Just like you, and I expect the rest of the forum to say, I wil wear the gear, even in a 106 degree weather, and expect the worse. Besides I have time to get to know the bike!

Thanks all,
wildcard

Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good deal, keep it up

And 99.999999% of us will never EVER be able to push even a 600 to its limits (tho the 1k guys think but they just full of it ) much less a 250.

Keep riding smart and respect the **** out of that bike.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FIX THIS ****ING ****!!!! please excuse that, lol....i typed a long post for you, in vain. how's this, hopefully it'll post....be safe.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 PM

Well Playfull, I wont lie...I twisted a bit once, and the damn thing tried to throw me off the back! Didn't take long to figure out who was boss. Now I know where I stand, we are cordually (sp)working on things together...and it is AWESOME!!!!!

I want to get more comfortable and hit the track.....but she said no.....so I have to ask again in six months!!!!

wildcard

Old 06-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Retired Moderator

Wildcard...thank you for your level headed observations on what I would consider a beast of a bike. I am on a 600, and I feel the same things on my bike as you do on your "Nine Fi Fo". My limit could very well be 600 cc's. 1000 cc's is not in my gameplan anytime soon. Keep your wits about you, and stay alert. You have a ton of bike, and as a new rider, you could be in the **** before you even know it. Have you taken the MSF? If you haven't yet, I wonder how you are learning to ride. Friends, family, or just on the job training? Please do everything you can to learn better riding skills. Be voracious in your desire to learn. Talk to experienced riders, ask any question that comes to mind, read every book you can get your hands on, take the MSF, maybe get some track days, and NEVER EVER assume you have got it all figured out! Complacency is the first step to a very bad day. Good luck, and keep us posted. Feel free to PM any of the members you feel comfortable with. We are a big family here.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Everything Voodoo said. + Dont you dare wreck that 54

Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Believe me, you will pretty much never find the full potential of that bikeI've been riding for 27 years now, bought my 954 a year ago, and I still haven't come close to finding where that thing gets unsettled. And there's been a few times I've tried. Please, just continue to be careful and respect it. I'd rather read posts like this than the "R.I.P./Pray for Me" threads.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 AM

good luck man, stay safe, get more gear, and respect that bike.

Quick Reply: Well made it past the first 2 Months on my first street bike 954!