Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well I biff'ed it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I biff'ed it....

Today was the first time I've ever been down...nothing hard just went down doin about 20mph - the story is posted below and sorry but have no pictures.

Was headin' down the road to meet up with some friends, was unfirmiliar with the area and was looking around in a semi-dense traffic area for my buddies when the car in front of me went hard on the brakes, I kinda freaked and grabbed a handful of front brake causing a nasty tank slapper, dropped it and slid about 3 feet. Crawled into the fetal position becuase I heard tire squeel behind me - I thought I was gonna get ran over...

All in all I'm general okay besides a bruised ego and a tweaked ankle, the bike went down on the left side, frame sliders too the brute force of it and chunked off, chipped the front tire hugger, scuffed the front upper headlight fairing, cracked the left upper faring, scuffed my clutch lever up along with the mirror. My knee smacked the top of the right fairing causing it to crack aswell...

I'm not too worried, first bike, was gonna happen sooner or later. I learned from it though, don't over react - be calm and be smart. Any comments or questions, don't be afraid to ask... I'm sorry but I don't wanna hear stupid comments though..

Old 04-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's the thing about operating vehicles, you have to stay in the moment. It only takes a second's lapse of attention. We'll, at least you're OK; sorry about the bike. That sucks... Didn't know you could get tank slappers from braking too hard. You going to try and post pics?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Sorry to hear that...... heavy traffic is the most intimidating place for me to ride.... I'll take the open or back roads any day.......in town at 5pm sucks!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 AM

Glad your ok, it could have been much worse if you hadnt braked and went into the back of the car. So look at it as you avoided a much worse scenerio.

Its always a good idea to practice defensive driving. In an empty parking lot, practice sudden stops and evasive manevours. Start out slower and work your way up to harder braking and swerving. Of course, once your tires are warmed up, never do it on cold tires.

It may not seem like it, but even in a panic later on, you will subconsiously retain that information and may be able to avoid the next situation better.

But in your case, I'm not sure it could have been avoided. Some situation are just unavoidable. Looking back, Im sure some extra distance between you and the car may have helped, but then you have to worry about other cars trying to sneak between you and the car in front of you. Every situation is different and looking back is always 20/20. Just don't beat yourself up over it.

Rod38um has it right though, riding in heavy traffic sucks.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:56 AM

man that sucks.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Is it possible to get a tank slapper from braking too hard because your tire pressure was too low? Never heard of it happening before. Glad you're okay though. The other day this lady in an SUV and on her cell phone (illegal in Cali) was going through empty parking spaces and almost ran me over. She proceeded to get out of the car and flip me off and scream "WTF ARE YOU DOING!?!?" I was speechless and didn't know what to do so I just kind of sat there for a bit thinking..." I almost died because this lady is 1_on her cell phone 2_driving through parking spots ...and shes mad at ME?! "

Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 AM

I have a problem locking my back tire under hard braking. This in turn causes the rear tire to hop. I never have had a tank slapper though...knock on wood!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 AM

that sucks glad you are okay my only piece of advice is dont let it get to you. you might have done sommething wrong but learn from it wrecks happen whether you screwed up or the cages are retarded get back on and call it a lesson

Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 AM

I hear you flordia, I'm not stressin' it - I mean I catch my crap like usual from my friends who joke around but other then that its no big deal, I'm okay - the bike is still rideable and life still goes on, all in all good deal.

Thanks for the kind wishes folks, wish you all safe rides.