Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well....Here we go again........

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well....Here we go again........

Once again there is a major forest fire raging just a mile or twoto the north of Big Bear Lake in what they call "Holcome Valley"4000 acres and burning out of control, winds are like 15 to 20 miles an hour, we are the #1 incedent in the country right now. They have already evacuated "Fawnskin" on the north side of the lake and if it keeps going the way its going who knowstheymight call another evac for theBig Bear area again [:@]I swear to God right now there are like thousands of people up her right now for the weekend like nothins going on [sm=wtf.gif]just came from town and people are pouring into town like were giving away free money [>:]if it go's worst case scenario and they call an evac with all these people here its gona be hell to get outa here, last time we evaced, it took 7 hours to travel what only takes 25 mins normally, so if any of you guys and girls know any one who is here for the weekend or are headed this way tell em they might want to leave now..just in case,ITS NOT YETto this point, but all it takes is for the fire to reach what they call a "Trigger Point" a line on a map and its ON. Just to make sure every body understands... were not on fire.....yet, its to the north of us and NOT far, wish I could post up some pics looks like a volcanic eruption from my house. looks like OT this weekend maybe, I get to stick around since I work for the city and we support all the Fire Depts and Sherrif personel when they show up. Keep you guys posted when I get more knews [8D]

Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Default RE: Well....Here we go again........

We were going to ride big bear this weekend. Good thing we didnt.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:21 PM
RCR

Yea I can see the smoke here from Riverside. We had plans to run up the 38 and passed when we saw the smoke, good thing. It's a bad year, we haven't had rain forever here in SO Cal.
Hope this one gets contained before it gets the houses.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM

update.......were at 18000 acres, 22 hand crews, 27 engines, 4 helecopters, 6 fixed wing and 2 heletankers, and 15 water tenders, still NW of Big Bear so were OK right now, as long as the wind holds at NE flow, there calling for voluntary evacs east of down town "Running Springs" and mandatory evacs in "Green Valley Lake," so far Big Bear is OK

Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 AM

Organize a town millitia. Your weapons will be your yard hoses! Paint your bodies blue and fight for your freedom to live in the lands.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:57 AM

That sucks, we get them around here, but nothing like the ones i hear off in cali, it just so dry out there. I remember when i was younger there was one that made ash rain down like snow, it was pretty wild. Good luck out there, hopefully they get it under control soon.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Update #2 were still going, as of today we have 12% containment at 15,433 acres burned,1,088 personel total, that includes66 hand crews, 41 engines, 14 helecopters, 12 airtankers, 15 dozers, and 14 water tenders. Worked this morning 12 am to 7 am for a city contact if any of the agencys needed any thing durring the morning hours( pretty quiet night), me and the guy I worked with saw 21 engines go by the damon there way towards "Snow Valley" they were traveling in packs of 5 or 6 at a time[8D]they have the hwy between Big Bear Dam and snow valley closed, looked like the fire burned its way down to the hwy along what they call the arctic circleas of this morning and it was cresting the ridge above the hwy a 1/8 of a mile or so east of the dam on the north shore so hopefully the can stop it at the hwys [&:]from what I understand alot of Holcolm Valley got hit preety hard.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:15 PM

next fire season i will be working for cdf ( cali. dept of forestry and fire protection) news like this gets my palms sweaty, and feel like jumping into my wildland gear...[sm=badbadbad.gif] me love FIRE!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:36 PM

Got the 5 to midnight tonight, keep you guys updated when I can get back and post [&:]

Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 PM

Media is still reporting a dire situation. I am hoping and praying for the best up there. For all those not from the Los Angeles area, Big Bear is one of the few beautiful wooded area that we have. However, with the complete lack of rain and snow this year, it is bone dry. Also, there are plenty of dead trees because of a beetle infestation. Perfect conditions if you want a fire out of control.

Pray for the people's homes and the safety of the firefighters coming from as far as Nevada.