Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well, good/bad/indifferent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, good/bad/indifferent?

I've got a whole slew of opinions on this little local story...

What do you guys think about it? Here's the story - police respond to noise complaint, see minors exiting the docs residence and observe alcoholic beverages in the minors' possession. The doc gets arrested...

Doctor won’t be charged in underage drinking case
by Ray Scherer
Thursday, May 15, 2008
[/align][/align]
A local doctor will not face charges in connection with a mid-April underage drinking party at his residence, as authorities confirmed he had instructed the minors not to bring alcohol.
Buchanan County Prosecuting Attorney Dwight Scroggins said Wednesday he decided to not file any charges against Dr. William G. Humphreys, 51, for the incident that occurred the evening of April 12.
Mr. Scroggins received a police report alleging that Dr. Humphreys, an orthopedist, had allowed minors to possess or consume alcohol at his home. Police determined that several minors were consuming alcohol as they came out of the residence. Mr. Humphreys was arrested at the home on the misdemeanor offense and taken to the Buchanan County Law Enforcement Center, where he later posted a $1,000 bond and was released.
“Subsequent interviews with minors holding the party at the residence confirmed Mr. Humphreys’ account that he had specifically instructed the minors to have no alcohol,” Mr. Scroggins said. “There was no alcohol found in the home and no indication Mr. Humphreys was aware anyone else had brought alcohol to the residence. There was no allegation that Mr. Humphreys had provided alcohol to the minors.”
Police cited six underage drinkers and one juvenile for possession of alcohol at the party.
Last year, the St. Joseph City Council approved a “social hosting” ordinance that prohibits adults from supplying alcohol to a person younger than 21 or allowing them to stay in their home or on their property while consuming or possessing alcohol. The local law mirrors a state statute and carries a maximum six-month jail sentence and/or a $1,000 fine.
“These are cases which we view to be very serious in nature and will continue to aggressively prosecute,” Mr. Scroggins said. “There does, however, have to be some indication adults at the residence are aware of the presence of alcohol or have provided the alcohol for there to be a violation.”

Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Banned
Default RE: Well, good/bad/indifferent?

My guess is the guy is a pedophile, but the underage drinking part happens if you let a bunch of kids get together.

My 14 year old niece had a party and I caught several kids trying to bring booze in, a couple succeeded, one little girl was so wasted I had to get her friends together and clue them in about not letting her alone so she wouldn't get raped by some of the older boys. The girl already puked so it was my25 years of drinking experience I had to give to these kids about how to keep her stomach settled and what to let her drink and eat for the rest of the night.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
RCR

UMMMM your guess about that guy kinda puts you in the same boat according to your story. Maybe his niece was having a B-party.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM

^ exactlly, your not a pedophile fryer, right? I wouldn't have pulled out that card so fast. Back to the story, if the owner had been a common blue collar, we wouldn't be hearing about this at all and he'd be sittin in jail for a while. Funny how money and popular influence can help some people out.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Indifferent.

Here in Louisiana it is legal for minors to drink in a private residence. Its also legal for a relative to buy you alchol.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Indifferent.

Here in Louisiana it is legal for minors to drink in a private residence. Its also legal for a relative to buy you alchol.
Imnot positive but I think thats how it works here too. Ive been to a bunch of parties held by friends parents. They will let you drink as long as you give up your keys and dont leave. One night I ended up wrestling on the ground with a lady highschool teacher. I got a B-.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Retired Moderator

^^^ You guys are saying teenagers can drink in a residence? Crazy crackers...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Since when in the United States is it legal for anyone under 21 to consume alcohol? I don't see how a state or local ordinance can supercede a federal law?

As far as this story goes, the people involved got it right. the doc said no alcohol and the charges were dropped. Hopefully he suffered no financial hardships or loss of business because of the charges. Heck, if anything I think police should investigate a little more before they arrest someone on charges like that. It's not like the guy is going to flee the US because he gave some beer to underage drinkers.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK it is legal for minors to consume alcohol if their parents/legal guardian purchases and supplies it to them; this includes restaurants (in my state of course). The story doesn't note why the party was there, but I did find it odd they just stated a bunch of teenagers were at his house having a party.

I did see a sign in a bar in FL that said it was illegal even if your parents purchased it for you. Irony would have it I was 19 and drinking there on a company trip.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Like I said, "Im not positive". But I know Ive heard things about being inside a private residence and drinking.

Quick Reply: Well, good/bad/indifferent?