Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

WEAR YOUR F**KING HELMET!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WEAR YOUR F**KING HELMET!

Off-duty police officer dies in motorcycle crash (4:10 p.m.)

By Jose L. Medina/ Sun-News reporter
Article Launched: 07/27/2007 08:46:24 AM MDT

LAS CRUCES - An off-duty police officer was killed late Thursday when his motorcycle struck another vehicle, Las Cruces police said.
David Andrew Cordova, 24, was traveling eastbound on Lohman Avenue at about 9:30 p.m. on his personal motorcycle, police spokesman Dan Trujillo said.

Trujillo said Cordova - in his first year with Las Cruces police - came to the intersection of Indian Hollow Road when a 2003 maroon Mercury pulled out in front of the officer and his 2005 Yamaha motorcycle. Cordova tried to stop, but struck the vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene. On Friday, Cordova's patrol vehicle was parked outside of police headquarters on Picacho Avenue. A large wreath and picture of the officer were placed by the vehicle. It will remain there through the weekend as a memorial, Trujillo said.

"It's been a tough last few hours for the Las Cruces police," Trujillo said. "For the first time in anybody's memory, we've lost a police officer. We're grieving as a department. We're also grieving for the family and close friends of this officer."

Trujillo said Cordova was not wearing a helmet. He added that Thursday night's thunderstorms did not play a role in the accident.

Joseph T. Muldrow, 64, the driver and only occupant of the Mercury, was not injured. There was no immediate word on citations or charges, but the investigation is ongoing.
Cordova is survived by his wife and three children. He was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and a 2006 graduate of the Las Cruces Police Department training academy. He was assigned to LCPD's patrol section.

Fellow officer Sergio Munoz, who at one point was a roommate of the fallen officer, said Cordova loved life and his family. "He was fun to be around. He was always happy," Munoz said.

Munoz added that police officer was a natural transition for his friend, given Cordova's military background.

"It's something that he enjoyed doing. He was a Marine before, he loved the military and he loved serving," Munoz said. "He liked police work. He generally liked helping people out. He loved his job. He also knew how to separate his job from his family."

Police Chief Harry Romero called Cordova and exceptional officer.

"The Las Cruces Police Department is coping with this tragic loss of officer Cordova," Romero said in a statement. "Our deepest condolences go out to David's family and friends. In the short time he was with us, he performed his duties exceptionally and he was developing into a fine officer. David's presence will be missed by many."

Trujillo said Cordova is the first active-duty Las Cruces police officer to die in or outside the line of duty since at least the early 1980s. Funeral arrangements for Cordova were pending. He is the second area officer to die in a motorcycle accident in as many months. He is also the second Las Crucen killed in a motorcycle accident this month.

On July 13, Sunrise Elementary School principal Javier Rodriguez, 42, was killed as he was traveling along the U.S. 70 frontage road at a high rate of speed and lost control of his motorcycle. He, also, was not wearing a helmet.

On June 13, New Mexico State Police officer Christopher Mirabal, 35, was attempting to pull over a vehicle in Alamogordo when his motorcycle hit a curb and skidded across the road, sending him into a parked tractor-trailer.
This is getting out of control! Wear your freaking helmets!!!! How many riders have to die for other riders to realize they NEED to wear their helmets?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WEAR YOUR F**KING HELMET!

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Off-duty police officer dies in motorcycle crash (4:10 p.m.)

By Jose L. Medina/ Sun-News reporter
Article Launched: 07/27/2007 08:46:24 AM MDT

LAS CRUCES - An off-duty police officer was killed late Thursday when his motorcycle struck another vehicle, Las Cruces police said.
David Andrew Cordova, 24, was traveling eastbound on Lohman Avenue at about 9:30 p.m. on his personal motorcycle, police spokesman Dan Trujillo said.

Trujillo said Cordova - in his first year with Las Cruces police - came to the intersection of Indian Hollow Road when a 2003 maroon Mercury pulled out in front of the officer and his 2005 Yamaha motorcycle. Cordova tried to stop, but struck the vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene. On Friday, Cordova's patrol vehicle was parked outside of police headquarters on Picacho Avenue. A large wreath and picture of the officer were placed by the vehicle. It will remain there through the weekend as a memorial, Trujillo said.

"It's been a tough last few hours for the Las Cruces police," Trujillo said. "For the first time in anybody's memory, we've lost a police officer. We're grieving as a department. We're also grieving for the family and close friends of this officer."

Trujillo said Cordova was not wearing a helmet. He added that Thursday night's thunderstorms did not play a role in the accident.

Joseph T. Muldrow, 64, the driver and only occupant of the Mercury, was not injured. There was no immediate word on citations or charges, but the investigation is ongoing.
Cordova is survived by his wife and three children. He was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and a 2006 graduate of the Las Cruces Police Department training academy. He was assigned to LCPD's patrol section.

Fellow officer Sergio Munoz, who at one point was a roommate of the fallen officer, said Cordova loved life and his family. "He was fun to be around. He was always happy," Munoz said.

Munoz added that police officer was a natural transition for his friend, given Cordova's military background.

"It's something that he enjoyed doing. He was a Marine before, he loved the military and he loved serving," Munoz said. "He liked police work. He generally liked helping people out. He loved his job. He also knew how to separate his job from his family."

Police Chief Harry Romero called Cordova and exceptional officer.

"The Las Cruces Police Department is coping with this tragic loss of officer Cordova," Romero said in a statement. "Our deepest condolences go out to David's family and friends. In the short time he was with us, he performed his duties exceptionally and he was developing into a fine officer. David's presence will be missed by many."

Trujillo said Cordova is the first active-duty Las Cruces police officer to die in or outside the line of duty since at least the early 1980s. Funeral arrangements for Cordova were pending. He is the second area officer to die in a motorcycle accident in as many months. He is also the second Las Crucen killed in a motorcycle accident this month.

On July 13, Sunrise Elementary School principal Javier Rodriguez, 42, was killed as he was traveling along the U.S. 70 frontage road at a high rate of speed and lost control of his motorcycle. He, also, was not wearing a helmet.

On June 13, New Mexico State Police officer Christopher Mirabal, 35, was attempting to pull over a vehicle in Alamogordo when his motorcycle hit a curb and skidded across the road, sending him into a parked tractor-trailer.
This is getting out of control! Wear your freaking helmets!!!! How many riders have to die for other riders to realize they NEED to wear their helmets?
Ya know, I feel bad for the loss, especially for his family. But, you don't know all of the facts. Could it possibly be that the reason he may have died was because of blunt force trauma t

Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Illushun

Ya know, I feel bad for the loss, especially for his family. But, you don't know all of the facts. Could it possibly be that the reason he may have died was because of blunt force trauma to the chest, etc...
Are you freakin kidding me??? Hey, I heard about this guy one time, he died becuase he had his seat belt on, I'm never wearing one again...

Are you trying to say that it's OK to not wear a helmet? Why would you even try to counter a post like this?

Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TheX

Are you freakin kidding me??? Hey, I heard about this guy one time, he died becuase he had his seat belt on, I'm never wearing one again...

Are you trying to say that it's OK to not wear a helmet? Why would you even try to counter a post like this?
i totally agree with you theX and ive always wanted to say something when i heard that, now i have it. just because it DOES help no matter what just like with a seatbelt results have proven that helmet helps in ALL ACCIDENTS

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Always a helmet if for no other reason than a dragonfly at 60mph will F**k you up.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 AM

Damn moron!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 AM

You are 36 times more likely to be injured while riding a motorcycle, and 6 times more likely to die on a motorcycle, compared to driving a car. The odds are not in our favor, their is no reason not to wear a helmet and other gear.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Always a helmet if for no other reason than a dragonfly at 60mph will F**k you up.
yup - i got hit by a dragonfly on my bicep going about 75mph and it left a welt the size of a gumball..

but i cant believe how stupid it is to see some bikers up here in Idaho with no helmets on their bikes or head. I can understand people riding from coure d'alene lake to like 2 miles down the road with no helmet (going the speed limit) but once you hit like freeways or ride all day long, you think a helmet would be a good idea *sighs*..

it seems like everyone has to get in a wreck once to figure out a helmet can save your life.

I'm sorry about the loss, I hope they dont make helmets a law but i wish people would respect the privilage of not wearing one and figure out when a good time is to put that helmet on. i'm sorry but girls dont dig the mental ill or dead, unless they are nercopehicatics (sp?)

Old 08-02-2007, 09:20 AM

im sorry to hear the loss of a rider, may good be with his family.

helmets save lives, it saved my moms life the year before i was born. always wear your helmets man.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM

you know, it was like 98 degrees here yesterday, not a cloud in the sky, and i was wearing everything i could, sure, i sweated my *** off, but there really is no excuse for not gearing up. it only takes once for you or your family to wish you were wearing a lid.

this goes for anyone riding 2 up as well, dont let your passengers ride without gear, they might not know any better, but you guys sure as hell should.

Quick Reply: WEAR YOUR F**KING HELMET!