Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Way off topic.....Early Seperation From AF

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Way off topic.....Early Seperation From AF

I am in thye Navy, a corpsman. I'd see sick-cal, prescribe a good range of meds and stitch up everything from kids to the wounded in the feild, but that was worth squat on the outside cause the navy didn't credential those skills. So, I specialized and went into Bio-medical repair, I instal, inspect, troubleshoot, repair, calibrate medical equipment, and the school is a DOD tri-service school so it's credentialed. 2-3 classes when I left school and had my AAS in Biomedical technologies. Guy in our shop just got out and signed on with Phillips medical at 65K a year. The military isn't for everyone, but like anything, if you make the most of a situation and seek oppurtunities, you can do well. I almost got out once, but started pricing everything out and was amazed. Health insurance was a jaw-dropper for me and my family, like 500 a month, and we're healthy! Look at your W2 and on paper it doesn't look like much, but add BAH, what you would pay for healthcare, life ins., comrats, cola ect....and it adds up. I'm not that high on the totem pole but I would have to make 60+ to maintain my standard of livingif I got out, and probably work twice as hard. All the libo I get, and 30 days a year leave, with holidays and all, I get, hell, 60 or so days off a year not including regular time off. When I deployed to a combat zone, I put all special pay and allowances into TSP and was matched dollar for dollar, tax free. I re-enlisted there also, and the bonus was all tax free. The TSP is a good deal, I damn near max that thing out, been in it for 4 or so years and it's at 25K and drawing 15%, project that out til 10yrs after I get out (8 years), and leave it till I'm 50, ands it's more than a good chunk of change. What I am saying is that for me....the military has been great. I got a skate job, 8-4, an hour a day for PT, and hour for lunch, pretty relaxed shop, and I get time off when I want it to take care of whatever. Sure I deploy, but it's all give and take. I just know that theres folks who work a hell of allot harder for allot less pay than me. Like mentioned earlier, please have a plan! I like to see guys and gals do well, and if you want to leave, thats on you, your service is appreciated and respected, but always move up, not down. Fail to plan, then Plan to Fail. Maybe you could do a lat-move/cross-rate to a bettere job? I dunno. I know theres allot of rates that suck, down in the boilers or crankin all day, and those guys might have a totally different opinion, but theres the saying, choose your rate, choose your fate. My rate is way overmanned and rank is slower than slow, but it's cake. Do what is best for you, but don't get sour on the military, theres lots of opportunities to be had. But above all else, have goals and have a plan to achieve them. Best of luck and Thank You.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Retired Moderator

Wow, Shocktroop...that was very informative. This specific situation doesn't apply to me, but I want to say thanks anyway. Ever though of becoming a recruiter?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greatpost shocktroop.

I was an AME in the Navy, not worth much out here unless you're ZHALES installing an ejection seat mod on a bike. lol

Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Everyone I have talked to says that recruiting is the hardest job ever. Think about it. You cater to Johnny snot nose. After school hours, on weekends when prospective recruits have time off, they are not obligated to anything, so you got to work around them......f that. I don't bull**** people though, I respect everyone and take them at face value. I like to be told straight and appreciate when others do also, even if I don't like the answer, it's good to know it's an honest one.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM

The main way to advance in the AF is have the ability to test good. I graduated from college with honors but that was 6 years ago. Stephy made a very valid point, when it's not fun anymore, then it's best to leave. I love my job but it is not that fun anymore when you know your job is being contracted out. My MAJCOM Communications commander came down about 2-3 months ago and gave us that news. I also do not like the fact that no one listens to you unless you are an NCO (Non Commissioned Officer). That to me is complete BS. Those who deserve to get promoted are over looked and those who have no desire to get promoted get promoted. Where is the fairness in that? I feel that I have served my country with honor even though I have never deployed. My wife and I are very unhappy here. I am going to look into what VA benefits I will loses in this process and make my decision based on what I find out.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM

UPDATE HOLLOMAN AFB:

SrA Justin D Carlton decides to stay in and finish out his contract for his country.

Sorry I know that was stupid but I just wanted to let everyone that has posted on this topic that I decided to stay. I could still get early if I wanted but I am not sure how I could pay back my TSP loan. That was the main factor and the word "Honorable" in front of Discharge.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that.
We're behind you brother, no matter what.
GOOD LUCK!!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Retired Moderator

Good work Airman!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 PM

How long have you signed up for? Are you not on a contract? Why do you have to get out? Can you go into another MOS?

Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM

I don't think you HAVE to keep money in the TSP. I mean, your borrowing YOUR money, when you get out, you can pull it out when you seperate. Not sure how a loan on AD would affect withdrawing later.

Quick Reply: Way off topic.....Early Seperation From AF