Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Warm place to live..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Birmingham, Alabama. Barbers Motorsports Track, Tally (Talledega Bike track), Road Atlanta is 2 hours away. Cost of living is cheap - I came from an apt in a very upscale neighborhood and was paying $800 for rent for a 2 bdroom and that included a garage for my bike as well.
Recently moved and paid $160k for my brand new 2 story, 3 bdr house which could easily go for $750k in Cali. Trust me, I used to live there so I know. And the cops here are not as strict as Florida or Cali. Of course, if you're just being a douche and riding like an idiot, you'd get pulled over no matter where you live. but for the most part, my one run-in with a Hwy Patrol was very good. He pulled me cause I had no tag and he didn't assume it was stolen. Just asked if I was going to the track. Very nice cop.
I'm all about living in Cali for the weather yr-round, beautiful scenery and being close to the beach and being able to lane-split legally. But the amount of people there and the cost of living sucks. Not to mention the cops there are some power hungry douchebags. I got harrassed constantly when I was into the import scene living out there.

And with florida, it rains alot there too - and hurricanes. Besides, more than 70% of the people on the roads are elderly retirees who can't see, so that increases your chances of getting hit or run over. Not to mention, it's all flat and straight - with no mountain roads to ride on. Here we have plenty of nice curvy, country and mountain roads to ride, but the best are found at the track, of course.

Ultimately, no where is absolutely perfect to live, but it's just my suggestion. I live 5 mins from a track that people travel 300 miles and more to come ride. I love it.

Edit: I noticed you're looking more so out west. Consider Las Vegas. I lived there as well. Loved living there. There's one track there that I know of - not sure if they do trackdays there? Maybe someone can correct me - I just knew about it from a car aspect. But Vegas isn't too crowded and much cheaper than Cali. Easy to learn to get around and it's always popping there. Great place to be if you're single. Hardly any rain there and good weather - but it can be hot as Hades in the summertime though.

Last edited by Saltman; 03-10-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

Originally Posted by Hoosier1104
What about the sunny SW like NM, AZ or NV?

$1000 dollars worth of rent will get you a decent sized three bedroom house for rent in some of the phoenix suburbs.

Year round riding weather except for the occasional rain.

cant say too much for certain about teaching positions but i do know schools are always looking for more teachers.

good luck in your search.

-Fearless-

Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the good feedback. Honestly, I'm tending to lean away from Cali at this point because of the living costs and all this crap I'm hearing about hippies. If anywhere in Cali, I'm looking at the San Diego area as I've heard many great things and there are a few tracks that are in close proximity. I was trying to avoid the south-east/deep south areas (please excuse my ignorance on this subject), but I hear it's really white and I might have trouble adjusting as I am asian and I might get a lot of weird looks, which I really hate. There's also the issue of racial profiling while I'm riding/driving from cops. I've got a friend in New Jersey who's gotten warnings for stuff like driving without a license, no registration, running stop signs, I mean, tons of **** while I've been written up for not having a front license plate.

Also, I was thinking about the Alabama and Georgia areas, but I thought they had a lot of rain from the Gulf hurricanes and whatnot.

I know no place is perfect, for now I know I'm tired of dealing with 4 seasons and I want to live in the US, the rest is up to whatever my research tells me. Crime/theft rate is a major concern, of course, but that happens almost everywhere as far as I can tell.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if diversity is a concern, you might check out Houston too. I absolutely LOVE houston. Don't believe that crap about belt buckles and rednecks with 12 gauges in the back window of their pickups.

There is some of that, but Houston is a large, bustling and VERY diverse city. There's actually a large Vietnamese population there, though I don't know what kind of Asian you are... lol.

Anyway, there's a ton of stuff to do there. World class museums, lots of great musical acts that come through, great economy, the yearly rodeo is pretty crazy, a big downtown area with a lot going on, Astros games at Minute Maid field are a blast, there's a Six Flags park there, great food, and there's plenty of reasonably priced housing.

My dad actually lived there for 7 years for work and I went to visit a bunch. He's actually moving back there in the next few months and couldn't be happier. When anyone thinks Texas they think rednecks and the south, but it's really just not that way. People in Houston have some big personalities and are generally very friendly people in my experience and it's a great city.

I actually have a Vietnamese friend there who could introduce you to some college chicks!! hahaha

Definitely another place you should check out.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another city that I absolutely LOVED and spent some time in is Tucson, though I can't really tell you much about cost of living or the track situation. And it gets pretty chilly in the winter... they do skiing/snowboarding on Mt. Lemon (just north of the city) in the winter.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by raylee
This may be asking a bit, but can anyone help me find a place in the US that has close to year-round warm weather, moderate cost of living and some proximity to road racing tracks?

Oh, and laid back cops or lack of juiced up overzealous highway patrol would be an added bonus of course.
Houston Houston Houston.

We have 4 tracks within 2 hours of downtown that you can race on. the weather is 70 here today and you get about 1 month of cold weather a year. it's perfect.

and as far as races go Houston has a zlillion of everything, Plenty of Mexicans to mow my lawn, plenty of Asians in the colleges to cheat off of, plenty of blacks to win at all the sports and plenty of white people to work.

*I kid I kid I kid!!!

But if you are even worried about being profiled you wont in Houston.

Last edited by RojerLockless; 03-11-2010 at 04:41 PM.